OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

iOS 7

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by SallieTomato, Sep 18, 2013.

1. SallieTomato

SallieTomato Here'sh The Thing

Anybody get it?
    I did!

[​IMG]

Neat, ja?

And for those to hep for the room & won't admit to actually owning the world's best tablet much less updating it, I understand.
    Really, I do.

2. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

I managed to get it for my 4s. Haven't done the upgrade on my iPad or 4 as of yet.

So far, I am liking it. Normally, I don't update in the day of release. Fucking @zagman76 let me play with a developer version last month and it got me hooked.

3. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Some really nice features that you could have gotten a while back if you jailbroke your phone or had an Android. Still nice to finally have them. I kinda dig the accelerometer parallax 3D effect (on the home screen, tilt it left and right and the icons move at a different rate than the background image, which gives a false 3D feel). Nice little touch.

4. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

Got it on my iPad; still trying to get it working on my iPhone.

5. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

Yeah, I remember when the jailbroken versions had those features. Surprised it took that long to add it to an official release, but I am glad they finally did it.

6. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

Like what? Did they finally add quick reply to txt msgs

7. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

That isn't there... But the control center is new. Most of the features are self explanatory. I like the flashlight and timer feature right there. I use them all the time. You just swipe up from bottom and get this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379546951.092621.jpg

8. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

That's cool. Kinda looks like what my S4 has

9. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
    Donator

It's out today? And the black guy got it already? Since when am I at the back of the bus?

10. HandPanzer

HandPanzer in situ

Not one death wish for Sallie yet? Odd. I updated as well and am liking it so far.

SallieTomato likes this.
  11. SallieTomato

Yeah.
    I like the integrated Twitter feed into Safari ....

[​IMG]

PHOTOS is a tad confounding: too many nested folders.
    And it's weird to see pictures grouped by year.
    It's been said an update to 7 is not too far away, so maybe they'll address this.
    Just in time for the iPad 5/Gaming On AppleTV event in a few weeks.

Another thing I like is the increase in the size of app that you can download over 3/4G.
    At first, 20MB was the limit.
    Then last year, it went up to 50.
    Now with iOS 7, you can download an app up to 100MB with a cellular connection!
    But the download progress meter method?
    I LOATHE IT.
    Hard to tell intuitively what's going on.
    Again, another hope for something to get fixed in 7's update.

#11 SallieTomato, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  12. steve500

steve500 Registered User

What do you mean "you can download an app up to 100mb over a cellular collection?" Are you saying they literally won't let you download bigger apps on mobile, or do you just have to approve each one?

Assuming it's not allowed, why do they have such a limit with apps? If they allow you to download movies on the go, which are easily half a gig, why not apps?

13. LilJimmyRbinson

LilJimmyRbinson Best muppet ever

Got it on my iPhone5 last night. It will take a while to get used to, but I like it so far. Only complaint is my iTunes store won't open on the phone. Not a huge deal since I don't usually buy things from the store, but just odd.

14. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

i5 here as well and my Store opens fine. Maybe try rebooting again?

15. stellarcomics

It's like having a new phone. Honestly, the os is Apple's true advantage over Android phones.
    As awesome as Android handsets are; enjoy the version of the os you have. 'Cause when they upgrade, it's time for you to go buy a new phone. Almost 4 year old iphones can run the new os. I have a four year old DroidX that can't run shit but Android 3.1.

16. Guilty Spark

Guilty Spark It's freeing and refreshing

17. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

Updated my ipad overnight. I'm quite happy with it so far. I like the new flatter look. I have to hold off on my work phone, which is a 4. Corporate as sent an email to everyone asking them to hold off untill they can fully test it. I don't have a problem with that.

Has anyone here updated a iPhone4? I hear that it slows it down a bit.

18. icculus1284

icculus1284 Registered User

I'm indifferent at this point. Switching between cards on Safari seems a little clunky or something.

@Buster H I updated my 4 and it feels slower. Probably explains my safari issue.

19. LilJimmyRbinson

LilJimmyRbinson Best muppet ever

Biggest gripe is in the music app. When I pick an artist there's no longer a summary of albums. Instead I have to scroll through all the songs. Pain in the ass when I have 40 concerts to swipe past.

20. steve500

steve500 Registered User

1) 3.1 (honeycomb) was tablet only..how is it on your phone?

2) The "4 year old iPhones" don't get many of the new features - and holy hell is a coworker's 4 slow now

3) Now that Google had debundled quite a bit into Google play services, everyone gets nearly everything an update would have

4) It's trivial to upgrade on your own - Cyanogen for example is on more devices than Windows phone

Party Rooster likes this.
  21. stellarcomics

Sorry, got the number wrong; here it is:
    [​IMG]

And not to start a debate (really) but why is it necessary to basically jailbreak and re-write your phone/computer/tablet os in order to get the most recent version in the first place? I'm not geek enough to do that. And there's still no " neutered version" of the current Android that will run on this phone. That's my point. Your co-worker still is able to upgrade the software from the operating system manufacturer without having to break out their C+ programming kit. That's a joke, don't correct me.

22. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
    Donator

Holy shit what a complete clusterfuck of ugliness and unusability. It looks awful. Just fucking awful. Completely flat icons doing the gyroscope "hovering" thing looks spectacularly retarded. Dull gray folders with no borders looks fucking retarded. For some reason, it looks like there's even more space between the icons. Why the fuck does a retina display iPad only have 20 icons per screen?

Spotlight search won't search Wikipedia or Google anymore. This new multitasking with full windows bullshit makes it so you can only see three other icons initially to switch to (and sometimes only two). My third most recent app is fucking off screen. Do I really need the filthy contents of every other screen opened up when I'm switching from one window to another? Jesus bag of cunts Christ.

The new Siri is fucking fullscreen! Most of the times that I used it was based on something on the screen (like resizing a picture and asking Siri to do the math based on dimensions that were on the fucking screen).

I suppose the photo app grouping thing will be useful once I get used to it.

Oh, did I mention it's ugly as sin? Go figure Sallie Tomato likes it. Ugh...

MayrMeninoCrash likes this.
  23. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

Yer the only one that hates it here.

24. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

They managed to break the only app I car about, the podcast app. It runs like shit now.

25. SallieTomato

Yep.
    If you do, you'll get a popup saying: THIS APP IS OVER 100MB. MUST USE A WI-FI CONNECTION.

That's Apple's call.

That's a good question!
    I use an downloader app that's worked beautifully for me for more than 2 years now.
    It's called DownloadsHD
    With DHD, I download "on the go" all sorts of embedded videos in the hundreds of MB.
    So it's not a carrier thing: it's just some restriction Apple has enlisted.
    I'm sure if you google around, you'll find out thier reasoning behind it.