Ipad mini/Iphone question

Feb 28, 2008
So the wife wants an ipad mini for Christmas. Anyone try out the mini yet? is it worth the price?

Also she has an iphone 4, I'm a droid guy so i don't know the ins and outs of the iphone. I know that with my droid i can turn it into a mobile hotspot for wi-fi. Can the iphone 4 do this as well? I really don't want to shell out an extra $130 for the wi-fi+cellular if i don't have to.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
i believe it can only if it has that option which im guessing you would pay for but a quick google search seems to say with iOS6 it no longer works.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
i believe it can only if it has that option which im guessing you would pay for but a quick google search seems to say with iOS6 it no longer works.
Incorrect.
You can set up a personal hotspot on an iPhone4 with iOS 6.0.1
You need to buy into a data plan that supports it, and you pay extra for the feature.

Dicktator

I need a Vacation
Feb 11, 2006
Michigan
Posting from my mini. I've had it for 6 days. Love it. Before this I had an original iPad 1. This mini is very very fast. It's also really thin about thickness of a pencil or smaller. As for new iPhone go for the 5 and yrs its a hotspot with data plan.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
Incorrect.
You can set up a personal hotspot on an iPhone4 with iOS 6.0.1
You need to buy into a data plan that supports it, and you pay extra for the feature.
i believe i was correct as i said io6 not 6.0.1 [there is a difference much like there is a difference in Jb 4.1.1 and 4.1.2] and i did in fact mention that something would need to be paid for in order to do itbe it the app or the data plan or both. so as far as the OPs question is concerned no it cannot be done the same as an android device as in installing a free app and simply using your existing data plan with no extra charges other then your original plan or and upgrade of your data package if you are on a tiered plan.

example: i have an unlimited data plan and i use a free app on google play in which i use my phone as a wifi hotspot and i pay nothing more to do so then my usual monthly plan of $80

Last edited:

Bluestreak

Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
i believe i was correct as i said io6 not 6.0.1 [there is a difference much like there is a difference in Jb 4.1.1 and 4.1.2] and i did in fact mention that something would need to be paid for in order to do itbe it the app or the data plan or both. so as far as the OPs question is concerned no it cannot be done the same as an android device as in installing a free app and simply using your existing data plan with no extra charges other then your original plan or and upgrade of your data package if you are on a tiered plan.

example: i have an unlimited data plan and i use a free app on google play in which i use my phone as a wifi hotspot and i pay nothing more to do so then my usual monthly plan of $80
Stop trying to make yourself sound right.
You were wrong.

Bluestreak

Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Jef Leppard wrong. You want to know why? I have an iPhone4. It had 6.0, and it had the Hotspot option.
The OP wanted to know if he could turn on a Hotspot option on his iPhone4.

a quick google search seems to say with iOS6 it no longer works.
WRONG.

Yes he can, as long as he has the data plan that supports it. No extra app needed, no jailbreaking required.
It's built into the OS.

In closing, shut your mouth.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dec 12, 2001
NY
Ok, this is relevant to my interests yet this thread has me baffled.

I have an iPhone 4s with an unlimited AT&T data plan. I would like to pick up an iPad (or mini) wifi model mainly for streaming Netflix and Slingbox type stuff while at work (no wifi or internet access). I don't want to lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan and I don't want to spend a ton extra for a separate data plan.

Can I make this work?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Ok, this is relevant to my interests yet this thread has me baffled.

I have an iPhone 4s with an unlimited AT&T data plan. I would like to pick up an iPad (or mini) wifi model mainly for streaming Netflix and Slingbox type stuff while at work (no wifi or internet access). I don't want to lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan and I don't want to spend a ton extra for a separate data plan.

Can I make this work?

Not yet because IOS6.0.1 has not been rooted. There is a way to allow hotspot activation on your phone when it is rooted. LEGALLY, no you'd have to give up your unlimited data plan for the 5 gb "tethering" plan.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dec 12, 2001
NY
Yeah, I "can" do it but I don't want to and won't...fuck that. Home internet, cell phone data plan X2....I'm not adding anything else...no fucking way, I'd rather go without...gotta draw the line somewhere. I have unlimited data on the iPhone, I don't understand how I can't just share that between 2 devices (for myself).

Bluestreak

Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Yeah, I "can" do it but I don't want to and won't...fuck that. Home internet, cell phone data plan X2....I'm not adding anything else...no fucking way, I'd rather go without...gotta draw the line somewhere. I have unlimited data on the iPhone, I don't understand how I can't just share that between 2 devices (for myself).
You can, but AT&T wants access to your BalloonKnot, first.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
The reason you can't is because it's against the terms of your contract with AT&T. I guess you can be grateful AT&T is willing to let us keep our unlimited data plans for now at least (I think Verizon ended their grandfathering). I just upgraded my phone and the salesguy had no problem continuing my unlimited plan.

One good thing is that there are plenty of hotspots around that you almost don't need your own internet source. Starbucks, McDonalds, libraries, airports, lots of places you can hook up to and check your mail.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dec 12, 2001
NY
I'm assuming that there will eventually be a work around for this problem with OS 6.0.1? I'm really jonesing for an iPad. Should I just go ahead and get the wifi only version? I mean I'd still be able to use it just not at work (where I really need it).

BTW, I went in to the AT&T store yesterday just to see what my options were. Long story short, I'd have to add a separate data plan costing me either $30 or $50 extra per month.

Preaching to the choir here but, the problem I have with that is that I don't need more data. Say I'm using 5 gigs a month on my unlimited plan....why would I pay $50 more for another 5 gigs (equaling 10 gigs) on a separate device? I'm going to be using one or the other, not both at the same time.