Iphone 4 or 4s??

gsteve66

Dec 8, 2003
I am in the market of buying a smartphone and waited for the iphone 5 that isnt going to happen now so the question is this besides siri is the step up in the processor worth the 100 dollars. It looks like the iphone 4 will be 99 dollars and the 4s be 199. I was just wondering if the processer will do that much, I also understand the camera will now be 8 megapixels instead of 5.
THanks

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
One thing I don't complain about my iPhone 4 is the speed. A faster/better processor would be nice, but iPhone 4 is not slow, IMO. If you can be happy with a 5 megapixel camera and no Siri...then I'd save your money and get a 4 then save up for a 5 whenever they manage to release it.

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
get a android phone! with sense 3.5 shit runs smooth and also ice cream sandwich dropping soon also! and hmm android phones never stay the same they actually change designs!

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
get a android phone! with sense 3.5 shit runs smooth and also ice cream sandwich dropping soon also! and hmm android phones never stay the same they actually change designs!
he asked 4 or 4s.... at no point in his original question did the word android come up.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I think they are going to release the iPhone 5 later

there had to be some kind of shortage of parts to put it off

they seemed like they were doing some filling during the presentation today with all the recapping. maybe a last minute decision not to put it out

the 4s seems like a great phone and the siri deal looked good in a controlled environment

I still have a 3s and may wait till the end of the year to see if the 5 shows up

metallikat87

Dec 14, 2006
Oklahoma
i was waiting for the 5 too but im just gonna pull the trigger on the 4S, theres always going to be something new coming with apple. you have to just pick one and like it or you will go crazy

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
he asked 4 or 4s.... at no point in his original question did the word android come up.
You know they can't help it. It's like Android fanboys have Tourette's.

Get the 4S and sell it on Craigslist for the same price when the 5 comes out.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I went ahead and ordered a 4S, my contract expired in August - I did really consider just getting a 4 since this will be my first iPhone

At least Apple only puts out about 1 phone a year, seems like Android HTC has a new model ever 3 months

twiggy

Livin the Dream!!!
Sep 12, 2010
Elizabethton, TN
If your set on the Iphone just wait about six months after the release of the 4s and they will re-release it with all the bugs worked out.
I just got the Droid3(I know Danny would beat me down for this statement but oh well) and I would put it up against the Iphone anyday. Has the 8mp camera, 1080p Video camera, front facing camera, flash player, kindle, zumo cast(view all files from your laptop), too much shit to list really. But this is just my opinion and maybe someone a lil more tech savvy can get more in depth.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
If your set on the Iphone just wait about six months after the release of the 4s and they will re-release it with all the bugs worked out.

I figured the iPhone 4S was an iPhone4 with the bugs worked out

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
And then in 6 months people will be advising to wait a few more months until the iPhone 5s is out and all the bugs are worked out for the iPhone 5. People don't get the pattern still? Just buy the phone now if you need it.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
I think I am gonna upgrade from my 3GS, but I have one major reservation. I've got an unlimited data plan. My guess is that since AT&T doesn't offer it anymore, they won't let me carry that over to the new phone.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
I think I am gonna upgrade from my 3GS, but I have one major reservation. I've got an unlimited data plan. My guess is that since AT&T doesn't offer it anymore, they won't let me carry that over to the new phone.
They should grandfather it unless you need to get tethering or another premium service. I was just in there today and the salesman showed me my account on his computer screen with my wireless plan clearly checked as "Unlimited Grandfathered". They may try to upsell you to get you to switch out but tell them you want to keep your existing plan.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
They should grandfather it unless you need to get tethering or another premium service. I was just in there today and the salesman showed me my account on his computer screen with my wireless plan clearly checked as "Unlimited Grandfathered". They may try to upsell you to get you to switch out but tell them you want to keep your existing plan.
Good to hear. I must say I will be surprised if they do grandfather OT when switching phones. Thought that would be enough of a change to fuck me over. Just looked at my data usage for the month. I'm at 218mb and am only half way through the billing period. Not eve sure what plans they have for the limited usage. I'm on the road so it's not too easy to look up. pretty sure tue highest plan was around 400mb.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Yeah, like Mayr said they grandfather unlimited if you switch phones. They only change it if you try to add tethering.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Good to hear. I must say I will be surprised if they do grandfather OT when switching phones. Thought that would be enough of a change to fuck me over. Just looked at my data usage for the month. I'm at 218mb and am only half way through the billing period. Not eve sure what plans they have for the limited usage. I'm on the road so it's not too easy to look up. pretty sure tue highest plan was around 400mb.
Just tell them you're going to Sprint for the new iPhone if they start trying to upsell you.

And wow, how do you only do 400 megs a month? I run up 5 gigs unless I do a lot of tethering and then it's about 10.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Just tell them you're going to Sprint for the new iPhone if they start trying to upsell you.

And wow, how do you only do 400 megs a month? I run up 5 gigs unless I do a lot of tethering and then it's about 10.
Alot depends on how much time I spend in the car. I'm in the middle of an 8 hour drive right now and have been streaming pandora the whole time. I have had a few months over a gig, but it's random.

When I am not in the car, I am almost ALWAYS on wifi. Keep in mind, I work from home, most of the hospitals I work in have wifi and also my local watering hole has wifi as well.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
I do a lot of emailing of photos off my phone (for work) and no wi-fi available, so even at the 1 MB a clip emails, my usage stays under 1 Gb per month.

AT&T currently has 3 non-grandfathered data plans. 200 MB, 2 GB or 5GB which includes the wifi hotspot and tethering.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Like everyone else said, you're grandfathered. Verizon told me that I'm safe unless I change my plan (add minutes, subtract minutes, etc). Adding premium services won't cancel grandfathering at Verizon (I'm pretty sure)... just altering the basic contract.

The two best things I did with regards to dealing with my cell phone carrier...

1) Always ask how this affects your bill, regardless if you're changing your ringback tone or adding unlimited text.

2) Create an Excel spreadsheet where you can sum up what you've spent with the company. Verizon didn't want to give me an early upgrade to get the Incredible, and I pulled that shit up and said something along the lines of "I've spent $8,524 with your company, and I'm only 26. I was put on hold for 30 seconds, and then heard "sir, we'd be happy to grant you an early upgrade, and thank you for being a loyal customer".

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
I upgraded from my 3G with a grandfathered unlimited plan. When I ordered on the AT&T site, it told me that the unlimited plan was not compatible with the 4S, which was quickly remedied on the next page where it allowed me to pick an unlimited plan specifically named for the 4S at the same price.

metallikat87

Dec 14, 2006
Oklahoma
as far as data usage, dont trust what they tell you. i had an unlimited plan with t-mobile and every month my bill said i was only using 50 mb /mo. so i switched to a cheaper plan for only 200 mb and somehow i miraculously used all 200 mb in 2 weeks
fucking cunts just dont really track your usage when youre not paying for it so they can fuck you
just another reason i already pre-ordered my 4s with sprint

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Just picked up an iPhone 4 for our son. Got a question with it though. It keeps telling me "No SIM installed" even though there is one. Sometimes opening the SIM tray and reclosing it works, sometimes it's a combination of that and cycling the power. Either way it's extremely annoying. Googling the problem seems to think it might be defective. Anyone else encounter this problem, and is it a simple fix or do I need to take it to Apple?