Ipod/Car Question

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I'm looking for something to use so I can play my Ipod through the car stereo.
Something other than those shitty things you plug into the ciggerate liter and play through a low frequency like an 88.9.

So I found these Auxillary Input Adapters at Crutchfield.
Is that all I need, hook those up and plug the Ipod right in to the stereo?
Will that sound good? Most of my stuff is in like 200-320kbps
Will it just play at "Cd Quality"?

Anyway, also are these things hard to hook up?
Or would it be pretty easy to install?
Anyone?

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
If you have an aftermarket head unit chances are that you have an AUX input. In that case, a $5 wire from Radio Shack will do the trick

If you have a factory radio, and Crutchfield sells the one for you car, that work too, just involves a bit more installation.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
If you have an aftermarket head unit chances are that you have an AUX input. In that case, a $5 wire from Radio Shack will do the trick

If you have a factory radio, and Crutchfield sells the one for you car, that work too, just involves a bit more installation.
Right, I have the factory stereo still.
I was thinking about maybe getting a newer one with an input but then I saw these.
I saw the Crutchfield had the year and model make section for the inputs

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
I have an alpine with "Ai-Net" which is basically a lossless way to connect your ipod to it, and browse the contents from the head unit.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
If your factory head unit has controls for a cd-changer, but you don't have one installed, there may be an adapter that uses that connection and allows you to control the ipod from the car's stereo.

doktormoo

Apple, BMW Motorcycles, Cigar and O&A junkie.
Feb 11, 2005
Arkansas
I use the FM transmitter in the car and it works fine. On my motorcycle with a stereo, BMW K1200LT, I use a cassette adapter. It workes very well. No static at all. Better than the FM transmitter.

commish13

Personal Friend of Chris Jericho
May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
How about you be a man and toss in a cassette adapter? Cheap as fuck and sounds great.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
commish13 said:
How about you be a man and toss in a cassette adapter? Cheap as fuck and sounds great.
Absolutely said:
I can't imagine that sounds great.
Actually, I use a cassette adapter in my car and workshop and they
always sound very clear. It's a great, cheap way to go if you still have
a cassette player in your vehicle or house.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Its all subjective as to what you think 'sounds great' is.

Alot of my friends think the system in their cars sound great, I dont.

But the tape player is definately better than the FM modulator. You might hear some flutter, and i know those adapters eat the head mechanism on the cassette player.

1. If you want to control your Ipod thru the head unit, you need a compatible headunit and the interface box. Most expensive and seamless solution.

2. If you dont care about controlling your ipod directly, an AUX input would work fine. It would probably sound just as good as above. Whether your radio has one, or you have to buy the add-on AUX kit for your specific vehicle.

3. If you have a factory head unit with a cassette, the adapter would as well. Chances are if you still use cassettes, sound quality isnt #1 on your priority list.

4. Last resort, FM modulator.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I think I'm going with #2
I don't need to control it through the headunit.
I can put the ipod somewhere in the car and do it on the Ipod.

I also don't have a cassette player in my car, so that's not really an option. I'm going to get the input adapters.

bobimpact

Sat Radio Tech Nerd
Jul 14, 2003
I think I'm going with #2
I don't need to control it through the headunit.
I can put the ipod somewhere in the car and do it on the Ipod.

I also don't have a cassette player in my car, so that's not really an option. I'm going to get the input adapters.
What year make and model of car is it, the listing at Crutchfield are hit or miss as far as listing every model they work well with, I usually suggest logjamelectronics.com to my customers when I can't get a part. Some are even dual auxs so you can run your ipod plus a satellite radio or some other device thru them.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I've got a 2003 Honda CRV.
I'm not sure though if it's like the LX or EX, I've got to check.
I'm assuming it's the cheaper version.

I'll check out that site, I do have an Inno collecting dust I could plug in.

Napoleon12

Jul 26, 2005
Columbus,Ohio
I've got a 2003 Honda CRV.
I'm not sure though if it's like the LX or EX, I've got to check.
I'm assuming it's the cheaper version.

I'll check out that site, I do have an Inno collecting dust I could plug in.
does your honda fact. radio have a aux button on it or a cd changer button. if it does you can get a aux input or ipod adapt. for your car. for the honda's sometimes the ipod connectors do not work. i now the aux input adaptors work great. ur car is pretty easy to take the fact. radio out if you have done it before. should be 2 screws above radio then dash just pops off.