iPod issues

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
This is why I hate Mac products: as annoying as PC/Android/other products often are, trying to get the damn thing to do exactly what I want it to do when some pointy headed faggot working at the iCampus didn't think of it first is often just a pain in the ass.

In this case, though, I'm just confused.

Ok, I have a system in my car that lets me control the playlists on my iPod (classic, 160GB version). I have various podcasts set up as "smart playlists" so I can just scroll to the podcast and listen.

No problem, piece of cake.

Except with some playlists/podcasts, I'm apparently on a "resume" function, where even if I switch away from the playlist or to another podcast within the playlist, when I go back to it the podcast will resume from where I left off. With other playlist/podcasts, it doesn't. It'll start over from the beginning. Which is great when I was 50 minutes into a 2 hour long podcast and now I can't really listen to it in my car any more.

Example:

The Joe Rogan podcast is on "resume". If I listen to podcast #130 for 50 minutes, and then switch to podcast #129 for 10 minutes, when I come back to #130 it'll still be at the 50 minute mark, waiting for me. It'll do that if I switched over to XM in between, turned off the car, waited a month.

WTF with Marc Maron is somehow not on "resume". If I listen to the Chris Hardwick interview for 50 minutes, and then switch away, sometimes it'll be at the 50 minute mark when I get back to it, sometimes it won't. I think it has to do with turning off the car and giving it a couple of hours, but I'm not willing to put any money on that.

Anybody have any ideas on how to make this stupid fucking thing do what I want it to do?

And while I'm at it, is there a way to tell iTunes to stop nannying me and to keep downloading podcasts even if I haven't listened to that particular podcast in months? I'll get around to it, motherfucker. I'm a grown man, I know what I want. Stop suspending the downloads I ordered you to make, just because I haven't felt like listening to Bobby Kelly's podcast in a few weeks.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I have never owned an Apple product, but just an idea... is it possible it can only remember the position of say two files at once? An example being you stop podcast #1, switch to #2, and then #3, it will only remember the position of numbers 2 and 3? I had an app on my Android that would do that.