Is It Better To Be Fat?

Sep 13, 2005
New Jersey
good news for you guys

Q Is It Better To Be Fat?
I’ve just read that obese men with heart disease do better overall than men of normal weight. If so, what’s the point of all this emphasis on weight control?

A Answer (Published 8/6/2007)

I understand your frustration and puzzlement. In fact, results of a study published in the June 2007 issue of the American Journal of Medicine do suggest that obese men with heart disease symptoms tend to live longer than men whose weight is normal. For more than seven years, California researchers followed 6,876 men who came to Veterans' Administration hospitals for stress tests because they had symptoms consistent with heart disease. Initially, the men's heart disease risks were assessed via exercise stress tests; their blood pressure was checked; and they had blood tests to determine if they had diabetes. Over the years, the researchers found that obese men were 35 percent less likely to die than normal weight men.

This isn't the first study to yield such perplexing results. Obesity has also been linked to longer survival among patients with congestive heart failure, and there's evidence that obese patients do better after heart bypass surgery. In addition, a study published in the June 20, 2007 issue of the European Heart Journal found that obese patients treated for one type of heart attack (with minimal damage to the heart muscle) were less than half as likely to die during the following three years as those with a normal body mass index who had the same procedure. For this study, researchers in Germany and Switzerland followed nearly 1,700 patients who had been admitted to hospitals between 1996 and 1999 with a narrowing of the arteries upon minimal physical exertion. The researchers reported that adjustments made when analyzing their data rule out the possibilities that the survival effect could be a result of the obese patients being younger or more likely to be on drugs to lower cholesterol, and blood pressure.

Some evidence suggests that doctors may treat obese patients more aggressively, thus accounting for the so-called "obesity paradox," but clearly, we need more research to see what's going on here. In the meantime, if you're trying to lose weight to improve your heart health, I would encourage you to keep at it. Mystifying as the results of these studies are, keeping your weight under control with healthy eating and exercise is still the key to avoiding a heart attack in the first place.

Andrew Weil, M.D.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400258

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
cause a fat dude with heart diseasecan lose weight, askinny guy with it is probably has a family history of bad tickers.

wigsnatcher

usually confused
May 11, 2007
Nashville
well ok, but what's the ratio of fat/skinny that GETS heart disease? misleading articles are for queeeeeeeers!:D

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
well ok, but what's the ratio of fat/skinny that GETS heart disease? misleading articles are for queeeeeeeers!:D
Exactly. Just because being fat causes heart disease that isn't as aggressive as the heart disease a skinny person gets doesn't mean it's a good thing to be fat.
Isn't it better not to get heart disease than to get a less bad type?

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
cause a fat dude with heart diseasecan lose weight, askinny guy with it is probably has a family history of bad tickers.
:clap: :clap: The president hit the nail on the head. :clap: :clap:

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005
ummmmm, Pesto and pasta. can someone plesae pass the garlic bread.

I'm sorry, what were you saying? I coudn't hear you over the chewing.

E

EQuiNOX

Although there are a few benefits to carrying around a few extra pounds, they certainly don't compare with the overall benefits of keeping fit and "in shape".

I wanted to call the show today when Patti was on, talking about her weight problem (particularly the thighs) but couldn't get through. Likely a good thing, for me.
However, my focus would have been on the book I recently wrote on the subject. It is a mere 23 pages, because there is no filler or sales pitches, etc.

Check it out online at http://www.303030plan.com

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
but it's just as likely that the fat dude has a family history of bad tickers as well.

In addition, a study published in the June 20, 2007 issue of the European Heart Journal found that obese patients treated for one type of heart attack (with minimal damage to the heart muscle) were less than half as likely to die during the following three years as those with a normal body mass index who had the same procedure.
It's probably because the fat guy's heart has been working overtime because of the extra weight, so the stress of a mild heart attack is less than it would be on a skinnier person whose heart doesn't have the daily stress

(personally I'd rather be thinner...5 lbs down ??? to go)

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
Although there are a few benefits to carrying around a few extra pounds, they certainly don't compare with the overall benefits of keeping fit and "in shape".

I wanted to call the show today when Patti was on, talking about her weight problem (particularly the thighs) but couldn't get through. Likely a good thing, for me.
However, my focus would have been on the book I recently wrote on the subject. It is a mere 23 pages, because there is no filler or sales pitches, etc.

$4.95 huh, possibly useful SPAM

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey

thats not bad 30 in 30. might have to try that myself thanks.

you know you should give calling the show another shot.

E

EQuiNOX

thats not bad 30 in 30. might have to try that myself thanks.

you know you should give calling the show another shot.
I might give it another shot but timing is always an issue. How often are they talking about weight problems? :rolleyes: Okay well, maybe more than I want to admit. I'll keep it in mind.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
I might give it another shot but timing is always an issue. How often are they talking about weight problems? :rolleyes: Okay well, maybe more than I want to admit. I'll keep it in mind.