OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

is it possible to get a decent used car for around $1000?

Discussion in 'Wackbag Home Improvement & Car Repair' started by JonBenetRamsey, Mar 9, 2013.

1. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

i know dick all about cars but i could use one. i know i could wait longer and save more, but i'd like to get something in the near future. getting around jersey is a bit of a hassle with public transit so a car would be my ticket to getting a better job.
    is this possible?

2. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

You can but you are going to pay out the ass for repair and such when it breaks down on you constantly. Id save more money and get a better quality car, more reliable means less maintenance in the short term.

3. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Shouldn't this be in the tranny thread? :action-sm

If you don't have friends that are mechanics to help you with repairs, or at least be able to check out a potential buy, wait and save your money for something more reliable.

weeniewawa likes this.
  4. JonBenetRamsey

i was considering just getting a bike since my job is 3 miles away and saving until the winter.

5. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Do that. You are seriously going to pay a lot more for a sub $1k car than you will for a better car. Trust me, my uncle works at a dealershit (unintentional typo but Im leaving it because its accurate) in Newark and he has seen cheap ass cars drive off the lot and catch fire. Just dont do it.

6. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
    Donator

I bought a 1989 Z24 in the beginning of 2006 and drove the piss out of it for a year doing fieldwork between Westchester County and Woodstock, nearly 1000 miles a week. I got out of that job and drove it like a normal person until last year. The only money I sunk into it outside of regular repairs/maintenance were a new starter, an ignition coil, and a new radiator that I probably could've fixed with some of that putty compound but it was on the underside and I don't fuck with cars when it's routinely below zero out. I went on a couple wild goose chases tracking down the ignition coil problem to the tune of about $500, but that's my fault - not the car's.

I paid $800 for it and sold it for $500. The guy I sold it to sold it a couple months later, still running just fine.

Granted, I obviously got lucky, but I test drove it quite a bit alone, checked under the hood for cracked belts and hoses, anything leaking, anything making odd noises, etc.

Bottom line, take somebody that DOES know dick about cars with you. Park it over clean light pavement and rev it and look for leaks. My guy had a stack of maintenance records, all for just routine shit. Generally someone that's keeping track of that kind of stuff meticulously isn't beating their car to death on the road.

Oh, and good luck bro :D

7. JonBenetRamsey

yeah, i would take someone who knows shit about cars with me and i'm just going to keep saving and hope i find that car the little old lady only drove to church deal.
    the two cars i've had each cost me about 2 grand and never had any problems aside from routine shit like a timing belt and alternator.

8. blazin

blazin Registered User

Pretty much every car Ive owned was $1500 or less, but I'm a car guy and I like to fix them so it's a bit different.

My $100 blazer went to 342,000 miles. The body rotted away, and it had some issues at the end of its life, but the first 150,000 miles were pretty trouble free.

But even so, if you look for a good deal, I certainly think you can get a good car for $1000. With that said, for every 1 good deal, you'll find 10 pieces of shit.

9. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

If you get one, don't get the deluxe version. All the power windows and mirrors and seats and fancy shit start going if you try and keep it forever. A Montana cop stopped me for a burned headlight coming home one night. That was the exact time my driver window quit working. He was about to shoot me as I fidgeted around trying to get the thing down. Lucky I had the interior light on. I rolled down the back window and said I'm opening the door. Then he shot me, but I don't blame him.

10. Dikbag

Dikbag Registered User

look into what you can lease, might be able to get a stripped down kia for $100-$150 a month

11. Turfmower

Turfmower Registered User

I have bought a bunch of 100 dollar cars back in the day that i didn't put any money in to and ran them for a few years. look for one an old person had it might be banged up with some dents and rust but they dont too many miles on them and most are well maintained and not beat on.

12. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

A mistake I've seen many people make when buying a cheap car... they don't account for other expenses. Repairs/maintenance has already been mentioned, but there are other expenses like registration.

I have a 2004 Explorer and I budget around $500 a year for repairs. This includes general maintenance and unexpected issues. Most years I spend far less than that (some I get by with <$100), but the balance goes to things like tires and brakes which come up more seldom.

Now I am probably much harder on that thing that you will be, as I have to take fairly long trips as well as drive it on gravel/dirt mountain roads pretty often.

13. Cunt Smasher

Cunt Smasher Caligula Jr.

They're out there, my 97 cavalier has 272K, a/c still works, I drive it 50 miles a day. $600 car. Looks like hell, but fuck it, it runs and 20mpg.

14. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

You can get one but they aren't plentiful.
    Most people sell cars for a reason other than they got tired of it.
    Best thing you can do is either have someone look at it with you
    or ask the owner if it can be taken to a garage you trust.

If they won't agree to that, then they're hiding something.
    If they agree, then have it checked out. I never have a problem
    looking at a car for my customers. I'd rather take a few minutes
    and look it over than see them get fucked on a clunker.

15. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

They say Cash For Clunkers program took a bunch of good used cars off the market.

Thanks Obama

Party Rooster likes this.
  16. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

Yes it did.

17. blazin

blazin Registered User

and a bunch of valuable junkyard parts. 82-93 s-10 parts are becoming hard to find.

18. JonBenetRamsey

i've kept that in mind. i'm aiming to have at least 500 more than what i'm willing to pay for the car for all that extra shit.
    gleet good call on the no power shit. i hadn't thought of that, though my first car was an 88 sable with power everything and it never had any faults. just a fucked up bumper from an accident that wasn't my fault.

19. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Find a Hurricane Sandy car and just plan on driving around with the windows rolled down all the time.

20. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

yep it killed the used car market

21. maz

maz TRueWDTer

I'm certainly no fan of obama or cash for clunkers
    But it did get me a nice , low mileage transmission for my Grand Marquis a few years back
    Donor car was owned by some old person
    And I heard it was in fine shape all around

22. Jambi

Jambi Infidel

A hard working white man can only afford a $1,000 car.... Thanks Obama!

JonBenetRamsey likes this.
  23. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Do the patriotic thing and go into debt for $30000!

24. Wrecktum

Wrecktum Tounge puncher of fart boxes

I bought an 89 bronco 2 for $400 bucks a few years ago. I got 3.5 years out of it. I maybe put $1000 in to it over the time I owned it. So it's possible. Try and get a jap car. I gave my brother my old corolla with 230k on it when I bought the bronco. Still running has well over 300k on it now.

25. JonBenetRamsey

i actually do prefer a toyota. what's that shit? 80% of all cars made after some year are still on the road. i forget the year.