Is it time for a "reverse boycott"?

23 Skidoo

She ENTICED me
Jun 7, 2006
West Haven, CT
I know I'm going out on a limb here (I think this is my first started thread) but hear me out. The b-b-boys are getting castrated to an almost inconcievable extent. Now even though I enjoyed the XM only show a lot (I began listening on the "free view"), I supported their move because I want what's best for O&A, and that's (in my opinion) for the Virus to get spread across America. Now, just about all of us knew when they returned to terrestrial, there would have to comply with FCC restrictions and some reasonable CBS imposed restrictions. For instance, the ol' N word. Not against FCC regs to my knowledge, but I can understand why CBS wouldn't want that word on their air, as it's more incendiary than any other word in the English language, people don't use it on network TV, etc... I can understand that. But when they can't parody other nationalities' accents in a humorous context (how many old TV shows like "Hogan's Heroes" had characters that used silly accents) ... when they can't even make vague allusions to excretory functions... when they can't use "fag" in even its most innocuous interpretation... when they can't say "douchebag"... and worst of all, when they can't say "fart contest" (even though there is a best-selling children's book called "Walter the Farting Dog"), there comes a time when we as a society, or more specifically, we as radio listeners need to push back.

When Imus had his problem, when the Catholic League did in O&A, they went to the advertisers. That's what CBS is scared to death of... and maybe that's what we need to do. Let these sponsors on K-Rock know we're getting tired of programming intended for men aged 18-54 getting neutered to an infantile level. Evidently, many of Imus' sponsors at WFAN left in protest- although it was too late. Maybe we should be proactive and let our voices be heard. Dan Mason and all the lawyers at CBS need to stand behind their talent. The problem is they only think the P.C. people will come after them... I think we need to show them that even more people are on the other side. Hell, I think this is a job for PAC, because make no mistake, our show is being censored. I can't pick up K-Rock, so I don't even know who the sponsors are, but I'm more than willing to email everyone of them if someone could provide the information.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I've been saying this for the longest time ... it's time for people to fight back ... I thought that was part of PAC's mission statement but they seem to be very quiet when it comes to this kind of stuff

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
I've been saying this for the longest time ... it's time for people to fight back ... I thought that was part of PAC's mission statement but they seem to be very quiet when it comes to this kind of stuff
Exactly. Just boycotting doesn't do any good unless we have a forum to publicly let the sponsors and CBS know why we're boycotting.

Dec 18, 2004
HTG must be going thru a rough patch in her life because she dosen'r seem to be doing anything with the PAC. Now is the time to speak up. What is wrong with her?

N

NickCostanzo

Well here's the deal. We could wait for PAC to do something, or we could simply begin to start something like this right away.

What is needed is a good list of CBS advertisers. Preferably, everyone that advertises during the show, regardless of whether or not these ads will be repeated later on in the day. I live in shitty Pittsburgh, so these days I listen through Audible and I dont hear the ads... but maybe someone who consistently listens to the free show that still gets to hear it live on the radio can supply a good list? Or even better, it'd be nice to just find a list of advertisers on the web somewhere, though at the moment a quick google search didn't yield many good results.

Once we have a list, we start pledging our support to the companies via email, phonecall, letter writing, whatever contact sources these guys have. And I think it should be addressed with the same fervor as the XM suspension. That thing was a heart attack that required immediate action. But the FM deal is more of a slow-acting cancer, that will ultimately be just as distructive if the fans dont do anything. O&A will go down as failures in the eyes of people who just look at the numbers, they'll be in a crappy bargaining position post-merger, and worst of all they'll end up demoralized. ESPECIALLY if it looks like the fans aren't going to go the extra mile.

Is there any way to get this topic stickied? Maybe then we can better organize a list of sponsors and develop some good letter templates for people to send out.

23 Skidoo

She ENTICED me
Jun 7, 2006
West Haven, CT
Right on, Nick. I think us baggers (and FBA, whoever wants to join in) are gonna have to do the heavy lifting on this one. And I have to compliment Razor on airing his outrage on that Tracy & Tom thread, that's what reminded me how pissed I was this morning, and DM Moe hit the nail on the head also. Before I started the thread, I hadn't seen Cokelogic's post, and he's right. Tom C. shouldn't be talking to the lawyers, he should be talking to the advertisers. But bottom line, he's not going to change, the facts have shown he will not fight for good radio (and frankly, he is horribly failing in his job where K-Rock's morning show is concerned), so we're going to have to let our thousands of voices be heard. If everyone of us sends an email to the sponsors, to Dan Mason (he should eventually be made aware of what we're doing, in case the message somehow doesn't reach him)... then the push back will have begun. The fact that the lawyers are controlling the show is sickening. I'm a lawyer, and I have to hang my head in shame at the extent that they are "protecting their client." O&A can't say "douchebag".... what, is there some National Association of Douchebags who is going to protest? Enough's enough!!!

I look forward to seeing the sponsor info... I'm ready to fight back. And my battle cry is FRRRRRRUNKISSS!!!

Baggy Spandex

This stinks and I don't like it.
Apr 5, 2007
Im in. Looking forward to any updates.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
I agree,,,it's going to be an uphill battle but a battle im ready to join. Bring those fuckers on!!!!!!

Thing isneed to join forces with the other websites,,,we need to send emails and get together first...This isnt something that will be won easilly but I believe we can make a statement and get a foot in the door....then we can grow,and kick some ass,,,let me know what I can do,,pm me, whatever it takes im ready.

JohnnyRed

Feb 15, 2005
IN

A list yet? Who are we starting with?

Should I get my wifes jewlery back from cash for gold?

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I agree,,,it's going to be an uphill battle but a battle im ready to join. Bring those fuckers on!!!!!!

Thing isneed to join forces with the other websites,,,we need to send emails and get together first...This isnt something that will be won easilly but I believe we can make a statement and get a foot in the door....then we can grow,and kick some ass,,,let me know what I can do,,pm me, whatever it takes im ready.

I'm in ... one way to get the word to the other groups is MySpace. I don't know about you guys but I've got fake friends from the other groups - (really fake since I have no idea who most of them are). If each of us posts a bulletin, we might overlap some but we might also be getting the word out to more people

I'm thinking it should be one bulletin announcing what we're doing and directing everyone where to find more information. Maybe we need our own MySpace page?

Just my 1/2 cent's worth

EnwordLips

Nov 13, 2007
Shouldnt the be doing free speech rallys?? Doing the show live on the street invite the fans to show their support for free speech?

Freese

Ramone and Frunkis-Since '83
Oct 1, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
(even though there is a best-selling children's book called "Walter the Farting Dog"),
Dude, there is a childrens book called "Everybody Poops". It's about shitting...and it's a book...for kids, and OnA can't say "fart contest".

Time to dump FM, things are not going to get better.

In.....

With the boycott ;)

jimmyjimjimz

Wackbag's version of The Miz
Aug 12, 2005
Rockaway Beach, NYC
what exactly are we boycotting? the advertizers or the CBS half of the show? Cause I still can't afford XM. If we're just boycotting the sponsers, I'll do that, because I'm always hearing Home Depot commercials, but I won't boycot the CBS half of the show.

Taintkisser

has anyone seen my NAZI Helmet?
Feb 15, 2006
Dix Hills
Count me in too. I am at a point where the boys are almost unlistenable until 9am. The cbs lawyers and management is getting WAY out of hand.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Should I get my wifes jewlery back from cash for gold?
You sent your wife's jewelery to cash for gold and she hasn't left you yet?

Not to be Peter Pessimistic but you know this will change nothing.