Is Puppy Training worthwhile?

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Oct 4, 2004
Morris Plains, New Jersey
Hi all you dog owners in wackbag land
As some of you may know, I just took possession of a ten week old pure bred cocker spaniel.. We got him when he was 8 weeks old.. My question is, is puppy training worthwhile..

Let me back up a second.. He is doing normal puppy stuff, chasing everything, running around a lot, barking, growling when he plays with this toys (not aggressive growling, but playful growling. He will let us take the toys from him without getting mad), biting our pant legs and shoes when we walk (he is teething).. But he doesnt like to go out for walks on his leash, and we are having trouble teaching him beginning obedience.

For anyone that has taken there pup to training, is it worth it?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
My wife took our Lab to Petco's puppy classes. I guess it helped a little at the beginning with the basic stuff.

Like every other Lab, she's a maniac and is so happy to see anyone and everyone that she goes crazy. But, I've curbed the jumping for the most part. The worst she will do is jump on my lap if I sit on the sofa. I have two 100+ lb dogs that think they are lapdogs and both want to be on my lap at the same time.

My family had a Cocker Spaniel for many years... once they settle down beyond the puppy stage, they tend to calm down quite a bit. But, then again, that might be because we really never had just one dog for a long period of time.. always had 2.

The biggest "training aid" I have is a bottle of Bitter Apple. I bought it to put on stuff to keep the dog from chewing on them (like the corners of tables, the baseboard trim, etc). The stuff tastes so bad and they hate it so much, that I just have to reach for the bottle and they stop doing whatever it is they are not supposed to be doing. And it's all because I gave each of them a taste of it when I first bought it. It was like a year ago and both of them remember it so well that the sight of the bottle instills fear. My parents dog is the same way. They still have the empty bottle from when he was a pup and he's still afraid of it, 4 years later.

Chester'sLiver

ESD is Wackbag's hero!
Jan 28, 2005
New Jersey
They game me a free class when we bought our dog 10 years ago and I took it but I was able to train her better myself. SHe is a full breed boxer and walks great on the leash but most times I don't even need it....She doesn't chew stuff she isn't suppose to and she goes outside 98% of the time because even the best dogs will have accident every so often.. So in my case it wasn't worth it but if the dogs is really bad it might be an option...

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Oct 4, 2004
Hey Sinn
yep, Petco is where we want to do the puppy class. and also, where do you get the bitter apple stuff? We bought this spray stuff that supposedly dogs hate the taste of (I dont think its bitter apple). Anyway, we sprayed it on the bottom of my jeans, and the little fucker not only wasnt phased by it, but he actually licked it and wanted more.. He fuckin loved it

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Petco carries Bitter Apple. Here's what the bottle looks like:

I tried to cheap out and bought this other stuff that was cheaper and found the same thing, they didn't give a shit about it and would actually lick it right off my hands or whatever object I put the stuff on.

Buy the bigger bottle, it's worth it.

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Oct 4, 2004
Petco carries Bitter Apple. Here's what the bottle looks like:

I tried to cheap out and bought this other stuff that was cheaper and found the same thing, they didn't give a shit about it and would actually lick it right off my hands or whatever object I put the stuff on.

I am sure I bought the same stuff becuase it was cheaper.. Serves me right . ahhahahha

luckily there is a Petco about 2 miles from my house. We are trying to get him into the puppy training class on Saturdays, but the first class was last week, so he might be a week behind. I am waiting for a call back from the trainer to see if they will allow this to happen.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Yes training is worth it. You don't have to be a nazi about it, but the basic shit makes life much more bearable with dogs.

Basic shit to me is: Not chewing up my stuff, walking on a leash, not begging and potty training.

Another thing that I've thought was really cool with my newest dog is crate training. He came that way when we adapted him at 9 months old, but it's cool as shit that he'll just get in his "cave" if / when we need him too.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Yeah man, the cheap stuff really was worthless.

Since you have a Cocker, I got something else for you, since they are prone to ear problems:

It's called Dermapet Malacetic Otic. It's about $16 a bottle. Just Google it and you'll find it. My parents Cocker had chronic red, sore ears.. They got her when my aunt passed away. For like 5 years my father tried everything, what the vet told him, and everything he could think of on his own. A friend of his who is a dog trainer told him about this stuff. After one month of daily cleaning, her ears were perfectly normal. The vet couldn't believe it.

I give our dogs' ears a cleaning once a month as a preventative. All you need is a cotton ball with a little of this on it. Just wipe down the inside of each ear and you're all set.

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Oct 4, 2004
Yes training is worth it. You don't have to be a nazi about it, but the basic shit makes life much more bearable with dogs.

Basic shit to me is: Not chewing up my stuff, walking on a leash, not begging and potty training.

Another thing that I've thought was really cool with my newest dog is crate training. He came that way when we adapted him at 9 months old, but it's cool as shit that he'll just get in his "cave" if / when we need him too.

Luckily, that is the only thing he has been great about, is crate training.. only ten weeks old, and he knows already to go outside to go to the bathroom. Last week, he only had 2 accidents in the house all week, and has never had an accident in his crate yet. And he can already stay in his crate for 9 hours throughout the night without waking up or having an accident..

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Oct 4, 2004
Yeah man, the cheap stuff really was worthless.

Since you have a Cocker, I got something else for you, since they are prone to ear problems:

It's called Dermapet Malacetic Otic. It's about $16 a bottle. Just Google it and you'll find it. My parents Cocker had chronic red, sore ears.. They got her when my aunt passed away. For like 5 years my father tried everything, what the vet told him, and everything he could think of on his own. A friend of his who is a dog trainer told him about this stuff. After one month of daily cleaning, her ears were perfectly normal. The vet couldn't believe it.

I give our dogs' ears a cleaning once a month as a preventative. All you
need is a cotton ball with a little of this on it. Just wipe down the inside of each ear and you're all set.

Yeah the vet told us about the chronic ear problems becuase there ears are always getting in the water, etc.. So we bought this ear solution from the vet (I forgot the name of it, but it looks very similiar to the pic that you posted so it might very well be that exact product), We have been cleaning his ears every 2 days , just to make sure they stay healthy.

Philly loser

Wackbag Elder Statesman
Oct 12, 2002
Limerick, Pa
I have a 7 year old Boxer who is a bit of a psycho.

I took him to a professional trainer as a puppy. The results were amazing. With simple hand signals, he would sit, lay, stay, etc. Like any form of training, it needs repitition. I worked with him regularly for a while and then reverted to being the lazy ass I am. He still is pretty good and if I put in a few hours in a weekend, it makes a big difference.

The guy I used wasn't famous or anything, but used similar technique and approach as Caesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer.

Whatever you do, good luck with the pup!

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Every 2 days is too much. This stuff has 2 kinds of acid in it (acetic - which is the kind in white vinegar and boric acid). If you use it too frequently it will cause obvious problems...

Most of the ear problems are unfortunately the result of how closely they've been bred over the years... Alot of it also comes from some of the shit in the crappy dog food that's out there.

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Oct 4, 2004
Every 2 days is too much. This stuff has 2 kinds of acid in it (acetic - which is the kind in white vinegar and boric acid). If you use it too frequently it will cause obvious problems...

Most of the ear problems are unfortunately the result of how closely they've been bred over the years... Alot of it also comes from some of the shit in the crappy dog food that's out there.

yeah I heard about the shitty dog food. I used that dogfoodanaylsis website that you posted, and switched to a 4 star brand. (Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance)

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Cockers are pretty independent dogs, I wouldn't expect too lofty of a result from a Petco or Petsmart training class.

I did a little research around Dallas and found a great place. (It's local, it wouldn't help you much to know what it was) who also trained police and scent dogs. Usually, if you can find a place that trains at that level, their basic courses are incredible because they're not just trying to take your money and teach your mutt to sit, they're trying to give a good foundation of knowledge so that they might be able to sell you on guard/attack or agility training.

I don't know if you have a place out there called Man's Best Friend, but stay the hell away from them. They suck... Fear and punishment based training. My Belgian came back from there a nervous wreck.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
yeah I heard about the shitty dog food. I used that dogfoodanaylsis website that you posted, and switched to a 4 star brand. (Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance)
Our Lab was on that food for almost the first year of her life and did really well on it. But when they got hit with the recalls, I got pissed and switched. Their handling of the situation was unacceptable. But, I think they have taken steps in the right direction.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Luckily, that is the only thing he has been great about, is crate training.. only ten weeks old, and he knows already to go outside to go to the bathroom. Last week, he only had 2 accidents in the house all week, and has never had an accident in his crate yet. And he can already stay in his crate for 9 hours throughout the night without waking up or having an accident..
That's really awesome. If he does that good with the crate and the training, I think he's going to be a great dog. I've had cockers or cocker mix all my life until my latest dog and they have been great pets and friends.

Just throwing this in... Nothing against any other food, but we are using Canidae food and it seems pretty good and pretty inexpensive I think.

You posted in the Pets Picture thread yet? Been a while since I've been over there.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Fun Fact ... whatever the hell day it is.

Cockers are known to be one of the most aggressive breeds towards humans. I think they're number two behind Chihuahuas.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Just throwing this in... Nothing against any other food, but we are using Canidae food and it seems pretty good and pretty inexpensive I think.
It's one of the best "premium" foods that is lower-priced. You can get a 40lb bag of it for under $35. Brands you can find in a grocery store cost as much or more and are crap compared to the good foods (Iams is $40 for a 40lb bag, for example). I know a few people who feed grocery brands and I've tried to get them to give Canidae a shot instead. My Airedale doesn't care for it, but he's a fussy pain in the ass when it comes to food. I got him from a rescue, so I don't know the history as to why he is the way he is with food. So I don't buy it that often. Our Lab will eat anything. I am considering putting her back on the reduced-calorie formula of Canidae to take some pounds off her fat ass. I won't have to worry about the other guy eating it.

Fun Fact ... whatever the hell day it is.

Cockers are known to be one of the most aggressive breeds towards humans. I think they're number two behind Chihuahuas.
And towards other dogs too. My parents tried to adopt another Cocker, two of them actually. Both were extremely agressive towards their other dog, who is a huge fucking sissy. He's capable of kicking ass, but he's really a fruit. He'll let another dog take food out of his mouth.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
short answer, yes

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
I would recommend training, but honestly IMO, petco is not the place to go. Find a reputable training complex that does multiple classes. I did it, and it was great. The best thing to remember is that it isn't so much about them training your dog... it's about them training you on the proper techniques to train your dog.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Training's not a bad idea. You really can do it yourself but it gets your
dog out in the world with other people and dogs. The socialization aspect
of it is a big plus.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
If I forgot to say it earlier, I would never send someone to Petsmart or Petco to get their dog trained unless they had a stupid easy breed like a Great Dane or other large, dumb, lazy, and will pretty much do whatever you say without training anyway breed.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Oh and socialize him as much as possible... ergo take him to say the liquor store (assuming they let dogs in)... got my puppy in the fall and was pretty hard for her to meet people due it being fall/winter and shit at the dog parks and stuff... and get him used to kids... my GSD the first time when she saw a 3 year old did a double take...

Did take the GSD puppy to Petco puppy school...

and she was brought up to demo most of the basic obedience shit for some reason... odd thing is the people to our right had a Puggle... and I can guarantee that dog is up for adoption now as they had no idea on how to deal/train/handle a dog... well that and my chick came in with the border collie and goes... damn dude (the father) looks wicked stoned.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I thought this was going to be a BDSM thread.

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Oct 4, 2004
Thanks everyone. We are going to try the Petco puppy training , starting next Saturday, and it is 6 sessions.

After that, it looks like maybe some advanced training to get certified as a good citizen dog with the American Kennel Club.