Is this a good gaming Laptop?

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
I plan on getting this in a few months after I get a job, I need something that is fast and can render 3d animations and play games decently. Here's the link and here are the specs
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...218346639131&skuId=2712579&st=G74SX&cp=1&lp=1

Here are the specs
What's Included

• Asus Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 8GB Memory / 1TB Hard Drive
  • 8-cell lithium-ion battery
  • 150W AC adapter
  • Owner's manual

Product Features

• Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor
    Features a 6MB L3 cache and 2.0GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz.
  • Intel® Core™ i7 processor
    Features 8-way processing for ultimate smart performance. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't.
  • 8GB DDR3 memory
    For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.
  • Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
    Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
  • 17.3" LED-backlit high-definition widescreen display
    Showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
  • 1TB hard drive capacity (500GB x 2; 7200 rpm)
    For spacious storage and fast read/write times.
  • Built-in facial recognition
    Protects sensitive information.
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M graphics
    For lush images with vivid detail. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.
  • Built-in 1.0MP webcam
    Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends.
  • 8-in-1 media reader
    Supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo, SmartMedia and xD-Picture Card formats.
  • 1 USB 3.0 and 3 USB 2.0 ports
    For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
  • Embedded 4G WiMAX mobile broadband technology
    Gives you an ultrafast mobile Internet connection. (Wireless service contract required; sold separately. Check with carrier for coverage area and availability in your area.)
  • Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN
    With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
  • Weighs 9.4 lbs. and measures just 2.4" thin
    For portable power. Backlit chiclet keyboard allows easy data entry, even in low-light conditions.
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
    Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
  • Best Buy pc app
    Your one-stop shop for digital software, games and more! Learn more.
  • Software package included
    With Microsoft Office Starter 2010 (product key card required for activation; sold separately).
  • Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

Off-White-Power

High maintenance, low tolerance
May 12, 2007
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I just bought an Alienware a couple weeks back and truthfully, it rocks as far as gaming. Much heavier though and fairly expensive.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
That really doesn't answer my question.

jsc315

AnalCunt
Dec 8, 2004
Evergreen Park,IL
Are you going to be traveling a lot with this laptop? Honestly If you spend this much on a Gaming PC it will just blow you away! It's in no way bad but for that price you can get a gaming rig that is far much better for gaming! Playing a FPS game on a 17 screen with crap speakers is just not worth it with this price. Spend a 1500 on a great PC, the spend the rest on a good surround sound system and good size monitor. Though if this is going to be more then a gaming machine or traveling a lot then Yes it's great but just over priced.

You dont think 9.5 lbs is a lot but its a bitch to deal with caring that thing. I highly recommend a really good book bag for that thing as well. If you do decide to buy this laptop I highly recommend Everki Black Beacon Laptop Backpack.These are one of the best for these type of laptops and protects it from any drops weather proof and wont kill your arms caring this thing, It's perfect for gaming laptops.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834995958

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
My current laptop is uber heavy and I am used to carrying it. I much prefer the portability of a laptop over a tower.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
If you are waiting a few months anyway, then shop around a bit more and don't settle on any particular brand. Computer hardware sales are in a slump right now, and the prices are going to come down quite a bit.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I like that laptop, especially at that price. A similar MSI system is $400 more from what I can tell.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
If you are waiting a few months anyway, then shop around a bit more and don't settle on any particular brand. Computer hardware sales are in a slump right now, and the prices are going to come down quite a bit.
I am This is just one I have my sights set on right now. Don I am glad you told me to check out Asus in that other thread, they have almost the same specs as an Alienware but are hundreds cheaper.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I am This is just one I have my sights set on right now. Don I am glad you told me to check out Asus in that other thread, they have almost the same specs as an Alienware but are hundreds cheaper.
Sometimes being contrary helps!