i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
The 2ms response time is quite impressive

NYHoustonman

I hate hippies
Sep 25, 2005
I literally never post, but I figured I'd give you a little bit of advice.

All 22"'s (that I know of) use a lower quality panel (TN) capable of actually displaying only 6bit color - they're cheap and have low response times, but this may be an issue to you. They use various techniques to display most of the other colors, but viewing angles and image quality will suffer.

Myself, I went with a 20", an Acer AL2051W - got it for $200, and I couldn't be happier. It's down to whether you value screen size or image quality more.

Good summary here (quick google search): http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

I'd recommend you go to a store and see just what appeals to you.

Now... Back to sleeping :|.

I literally never post, but I figured I'd give you a little bit of advice.

All 22"'s (that I know of) use a lower quality panel (TN) capable of actually displaying only 6bit color - they're cheap and have low response times, but this may be an issue to you. They use various techniques to display most of the other colors, but viewing angles and image quality will suffer.

Myself, I went with a 20", an Acer AL2051W - got it for $200, and I couldn't be happier. It's down to whether you value screen size or image quality more.

Good summary here (quick google search): http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

I'd recommend you go to a store and see just what appeals to you.

Now... Back to sleeping :|.
Solid advice right there.

I passed up a $200 22" TN panel for a $300 20" S-IPS and I'm so glad that I did.
The color is damn near perfect and the viewing angles are excellent.
A relative of mine got the exact monitor that I was originally looking at and it's fucking awful in comparison.
2ms sounds great but if it means that the color is off and you have to sit at an exact angle then I'll take the slightly slower monitor.
Mine is 8ms and I have never seen any ghosting.
Response time is very over rated. Yes, 16ms is something you should probably stay away from but 2ms is at too much of a loss in my opinion.

Teddy

Nov 20, 2005
Here
i have 2 of the 225bw's which are last years moddle of the 226 i love them to death you cant notice any issues with the color or the viewing angle/image quality and no dead pixels at all. i love my sync masters my advice is to go for it

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
Jersey
What I get out of reading that is unless you are playing with photo shop in 24bit color or you sit at weird angles to your computer. It a waste to spend the extra money. I have my set to 16bit and sit right in front of monitor.

Teddy

Nov 20, 2005
Here
What I get out of reading that is unless you are playing with photo shop in 24bit color or you sit at weird angles to your computer. It a waste to spend the extra money. I have my set to 16bit and sit right in front of monitor.
even with photo shop and weird angles i don't see any issues at all

the 225bw has stands that let u rotate the monitor any direction you want so i turn my panels all crazy angles depending on my mood

NYHoustonman

I hate hippies
Sep 25, 2005
even with photo shop and weird angles i don't see any issues at all

the 225bw has stands that let u rotate the monitor any direction you want so i turn my panels all crazy angles depending on my mood
Well, it's more than that. In more extreme cases, on the larger monitors, colors at the edges of the screen look off because you're technically viewing it at a greater angle than optimal. I've seen this happen personally on 24"'s, I'm not sure if it's an issue with 22"'s.

The bottom line for me was that I couldn't get past the fact that I wasn't actually getting all of the colors I wanted, and as a gamer that is a little disconcerting - you spend all that money on a graphics card, and find that your monitor isn't up to par.

As I said, some, even the majority, of people really don't care. It's kind of like the whole audiophile thing, some people can hear differences due to audio compression, poor frequency response, etc., but others don't see the point in spending the extra money. The best way to find out is to go to shopping a bit (physically).