Is this termite evidence?

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Back in 2005 the wife and I renovated this area of the house, we were told by the original owner that there had been some termite infestation along that side of the house because a woodpile had been left on the wall just outside here for decades. When the floor was redone and expanded, we also put in new windows. The contractor and a pest control guy both said they saw evidence of old termite activity (very old) but no new activity and there was no sign of them being there now.

So, recently we see this kind of crap accumulating every few days in this little spot. It's hard to tell from the photo but those little bits are like large grains of sand, the entire area of debris is less than an inch. So, wtf? Wackbag entomologists, what beast makes or poops this stuff?

Huge version here

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Carefully remove the section of baseboard and see whats going on back there. It looks like debris from burrowing/eating so you need to get that sorted out before it get to be a bigger problem.

Also, be ready for bees or wasps.

Mommadeez4u

Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Carefully remove the section of baseboard and see whats going on back there. It looks like debris from burrowing/eating so you need to get that sorted out before it get to be a bigger problem.

Also, be ready for bees or wasps.
awwwwww shit!

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Looks like termite frass (aka shit)

Get that remedied sooner then later... as those fuckers can do some damage.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Get a pest guy out... Termites can retreat into other places and cause even greater damage due to improper application of pesticide. You can end up driving them into inaccessible areas where the damage will not be found for a LONG time, sometimes years...

mrbucket75

Jan 9, 2009
GJ. CO.
Its more than likely something digging and excavating the localized area. Termite "mud" is grain sized and caked together from saliva. Ants also excavate, but smaller sized sand, also included are usually body parts and whole dead ants, more than likely an ant graveyard. This does not look like either. Looks like some fiber in than pile, amirite?

Mommadeez4u

Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Its more than likely something digging and excavating the localized area. Termite "mud" is grain sized and caked together from saliva. Ants also excavate, but smaller sized sand, also included are usually body parts and whole dead ants, more than likely an ant graveyard. This does not look like either. Looks like some fiber in than pile, amirite?
I'm going to have to get the magnifying lens out to see what the fuck it is, I don't hear any chewing or buzzing in the wall. I don't think it's termite mud, there's definitely nothing going on on the opposite outside part of the wall, as asphalt abuts to the brick foundation there. So, if anything is tunneling it's coming up through the crawlspace below this floor, problem is the nearest door to access the crawlspace is like 100 feet away and there's no way in FUCK I am low crawling through 2 1/5 feet high cobwebs and spider and bats and dead bodies and shit just to shine my little Winnie the Pooh flashlight

and see what's going on. Screw that, I will pay some poor sap to do it.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
I'd go with Carpenter Ants because it reminds me of that.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
HOLD ON!

I had termites real bad because they left the plywood between the concrete sections when they added on to my house...They came up through the plywood and into some of my framing studs. I was tearing out my kitchen and found wood that would crumble if you squeeze it...Sooo...I repaired everything and then went with the Setnricon http://www.sentricon.com/ system...As a chemist I can tell you this is the way to go. They put bait stations around your home and monitor them. The termites will find them, as they are ALWAYS looking for food...They find the bait and eat it and bring it back to the colony. The bait usually contains a chemical that inhibits their ability to soften their exoskeleton...They always grow, soften their skeleton, 'hatch' out of that old frame and a new larger one hardens around them...This is how they grow...Well if they cannot soften their exoskeleton they will continue to grow and explode in their own bodies...This kills the worker/scavengers firs and then they find soldiers in the bait stations because the scavengers are all dead and once the soldiers all die the queen has no one to feed her and when the eggs hatch they eat the bad food or starve because no one is there...It takes about a year to clear the colony...and then you have monthly checks of the stations. I have had no termite activity for 7+ years in a slab ranch.... You have to keep the stations intact and pay a monthly fee (I think i Pay $25) but that's a huge relief over having to drill holes/spray/loose bait...I didn't want chemicals all over the house...

From the wiki

The Sentricon Termite Colony Elimination System is a subterranean termite control product developed and manufactured by Dow AgroSciences. It was introduced in 1995 as a termite baiting system, the first major alternative to liquid termiticide soil barriers. It has been proven to eliminate termite colonies, even those of the Formosan subterranean termite, or super termite. Sentricon is considered the most widely tested termite bait.[1]
The baiting technique employed by the Sentricon System relies on termite biology and behavior. Subterranean worker termites forage for cellulose food sources 24 hours a day, ranging abroad from their underground nest, or colony, through tunnels in the soil up to 350 feet long. When any termite finds a food source, it leaves a pheromone scent trail to summon nestmates. Worker termites chew and digest cellulose, and then regurgitate it to share with other termites in the colony.[2]
When foraging, worker termites find Sentricon bait stations placed in the soil by an Authorized Operator of the Sentricon System. These stations are baited with a cellulose material impregnated with noviflumuron, an insect growth regulator. The termites share this bait with colony nestmates, which later die when they are unable to molt. As they die, the colony is eliminated. The Authorized Operator, who is trained and certified by Dow AgroSciences, provides an ongoing station monitoring service.
The Sentricon System has environmental benefits. Less of its active ingredient is needed to achieve control than in traditional liquid chemical treatments. In addition, in 2000, the Sentricon System received the Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award, an environmental honor from the U.S. government.

Mommadeez4u

Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Yeah that's the same system he recommended, thanks for the info though I appreciate it

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
It's not bullshit...it really works...and because termites can travel 300+ feet a day looking for food your neighbors get to leech off your bait stations...and as soon as you remove the bait the colonies will find your beautiful house a delightful place to eat...

I am convinced it is so pricey because they can't make the money they use to spraying and drilling every year...It's a set it and forget it system...I started to notice it on vacation at fancy places...and old historical sites...it's how they protect those irreplaceable landmarks like the whitehouse and "so and so was born here" houses...

Mommadeez4u

Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
yeah the price has actually gone down, when it first came in it was 8 bucks a linear foot, now it's like 2 or 3