OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Is this termite evidence?

Discussion in 'Wackbag Home Improvement & Car Repair' started by Mommadeez4u, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Mommadeez4u

Mommadeez4u Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling

Back in 2005 the wife and I renovated this area of the house, we were told by the original owner that there had been some termite infestation along that side of the house because a woodpile had been left on the wall just outside here for decades. When the floor was redone and expanded, we also put in new windows. The contractor and a pest control guy both said they saw evidence of old termite activity (very old) but no new activity and there was no sign of them being there now.

So, recently we see this kind of crap accumulating every few days in this little spot. It's hard to tell from the photo but those little bits are like large grains of sand, the entire area of debris is less than an inch. So, wtf? Wackbag entomologists, what beast makes or poops this stuff?

[​IMG]

Huge version here

2. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

Might be ants or rodents too.

3. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Carefully remove the section of baseboard and see whats going on back there. It looks like debris from burrowing/eating so you need to get that sorted out before it get to be a bigger problem.

Also, be ready for bees or wasps.

4. Mommadeez4u

awwwwww shit!

5. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Well if it is bees you can just start knocking on the wall and try to hear any buzzing.

TreeFortRichard likes this.
  6. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

Put your ear to the wall and listen for chewing noises or hand on wall feeling for hot spots.

7. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Looks like termite frass (aka shit)

[​IMG]

Get that remedied sooner then later... as those fuckers can do some damage.

8. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

Get a pest guy out... Termites can retreat into other places and cause even greater damage due to improper application of pesticide. You can end up driving them into inaccessible areas where the damage will not be found for a LONG time, sometimes years...

9. Mommadeez4u

thanks gentlemen, having a guy out first of the week

10. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

Congratulations, I guess, but when are you getting the termite problem taken care of?

11. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

:haha7:

Neckbeard likes this.
  12. mr. sin

mr. sin Registered User

looks like either termite or camel cricket poop!

13. mrbucket75

mrbucket75 Registered User

Its more than likely something digging and excavating the localized area. Termite "mud" is grain sized and caked together from saliva. Ants also excavate, but smaller sized sand, also included are usually body parts and whole dead ants, more than likely an ant graveyard. This does not look like either. Looks like some fiber in than pile, amirite?

14. Mommadeez4u

I'm going to have to get the magnifying lens out to see what the fuck it is, I don't hear any chewing or buzzing in the wall. I don't think it's termite mud, there's definitely nothing going on on the opposite outside part of the wall, as asphalt abuts to the brick foundation there. So, if anything is tunneling it's coming up through the crawlspace below this floor, problem is the nearest door to access the crawlspace is like 100 feet away and there's no way in FUCK I am low crawling through 2 1/5 feet high cobwebs and spider and bats and dead bodies and shit just to shine my little Winnie the Pooh flashlight

[​IMG]

and see what's going on. Screw that, I will pay some poor sap to do it.

15. silentbob8201

silentbob8201 Registered User

I'd go with Carpenter Ants because it reminds me of that.

16. Mommadeez4u

The Man says termites. Fuck. $1,500.00 later....

17. TreeFortRichard

HOLD ON!

I had termites real bad because they left the plywood between the concrete sections when they added on to my house...They came up through the plywood and into some of my framing studs. I was tearing out my kitchen and found wood that would crumble if you squeeze it...Sooo...I repaired everything and then went with the Setnricon http://www.sentricon.com/ system...As a chemist I can tell you this is the way to go. They put bait stations around your home and monitor them. The termites will find them, as they are ALWAYS looking for food...They find the bait and eat it and bring it back to the colony. The bait usually contains a chemical that inhibits their ability to soften their exoskeleton...They always grow, soften their skeleton, 'hatch' out of that old frame and a new larger one hardens around them...This is how they grow...Well if they cannot soften their exoskeleton they will continue to grow and explode in their own bodies...This kills the worker/scavengers firs and then they find soldiers in the bait stations because the scavengers are all dead and once the soldiers all die the queen has no one to feed her and when the eggs hatch they eat the bad food or starve because no one is there...It takes about a year to clear the colony...and then you have monthly checks of the stations. I have had no termite activity for 7+ years in a slab ranch.... You have to keep the stations intact and pay a monthly fee (I think i Pay $25) but that's a huge relief over having to drill holes/spray/loose bait...I didn't want chemicals all over the house...

From the wiki

18. Mommadeez4u

Yeah that's the same system he recommended, thanks for the info though I appreciate it

TreeFortRichard likes this.
  19. TreeFortRichard

It's not bullshit...it really works...and because termites can travel 300+ feet a day looking for food your neighbors get to leech off your bait stations...and as soon as you remove the bait the colonies will find your beautiful house a delightful place to eat...

I am convinced it is so pricey because they can't make the money they use to spraying and drilling every year...It's a set it and forget it system...I started to notice it on vacation at fancy places...and old historical sites...it's how they protect those irreplaceable landmarks like the whitehouse and "so and so was born here" houses...

20. Mommadeez4u

yeah the price has actually gone down, when it first came in it was 8 bucks a linear foot, now it's like 2 or 3

21. blazin

blazin Registered User