Isles buy out Yashin!

funnybonez

Registered abUser
Not a Isles fan, but you need to sign BLAKE!

Another Isles blunder.. what a shocker.

More details

Yashin had $26.45-million left to pay on a 10-year, $87.5-million contract he signed after the team acquired him from the Ottawa Senators in 2001. Under the terms of the NHL collective-bargaining agreement, the Islanders can pay two-thirds of that amount - approximately $17.63-million - over the next eight years to buy him out. The team will still count $2.2-million of Yashin's salary under their cap over that same time period.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=209988

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Frankly, cutting him loose now and eating 2/3rds is way better than paying him the full amount and letting him continue to be this team's black eye for four more years. I'll take the $2.2 million cap hit for the next eight years and free up $5 million to go to somewhere else. The cap will likely escalate to close to $50 mil anyway.

But acquiring him and signing him long term certainly was a mistake on the Isles' part, but they were trying to make a statement in 2001 by giving a long term pact to a young, Hart trophy finalist. It was a risky move (as is the DiPi signing) and it didn't work out at all. But Wang saw the writing on the wall and made probably the best decision to clean up his mess.

Next up will be signing Ryan Smyth. Take note that Smyth's picture replaced Yashin on the Islanders web page header. It could very well be a sign that the Isles are moving from "Yashin's Islanders" to "Smyth's Islanders". On top of that, the Isles will most certainly be active in free agency...going after guys like Drury, maybe even Kariya. It is a huge step in the right direction.

11 years of Milbury, 6 years of Yashin...all gone in the span of a week! :clap:

OsamaPlinko

Another Isles blunder.. what a shocker.

More details

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=209988
Jesus talked about damned if you do damned if you don't. First everyone kills the original deal, then kills them for not buying him out immediately and now they're idiots for finally doing it. WTF??? (although that last quote is coming from a rangers for so ill take that for the nothing its worth)

Plus I dont really see this move as one that "kills" them cap wise. They'll be paying 2.2 per year for the next 8 years as opposed to 6+ per year for the next 4 years. 2.2 in a cap of 39 million (for this year and I'm guessing it will continue to go up each year in the future) doesn't seem that bad.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
don't like the Isles, but they shoulda done this coming out of the lockout

Jesus talked about damned if you do damned if you don't. First everyone kills the original deal, then kills them for not buying him out immediately and now they're idiots for finally doing it. WTF??? (although that last quote is coming from a rangers for so ill take that for the nothing its worth)

Plus I dont really see this move as one that "kills" them cap wise. They'll be paying 2.2 per year for the next 8 years as opposed to 6+ per year for the next 4 years. 2.2 in a cap of 39 million (for this year and I'm guessing it will continue to go up each year in the future) doesn't seem that bad.
No, they're not idiots for finally buying out, I'm just alluding to the fact that they're finally acknowledging what an awful signing this guy was. And no, the 2.2/year hit isn't THAT bad, but 17mil wasted by a franchise that had ~9,000 attendance at a few games this year...

Now how long until DP's howie-esque contract is bought out?

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Attendance alone will improve with the right mix of personnel here. Freeing up some Yashin money and getting some fresh new faces will be a huge step in the right direction. The fans were frustrated by this "anchor" and alot of them stayed away.

All in all, if the Isles use this money wisely, they will be in good shape.

ol' Cabey leg

As in Ol' (Darryl) Cabey leg
Rangers have had their share of pretty big blunders i'd say. For the first time in a long time, both teams seem to be heading in the right direction. Alot of the attendance problems stemmed from the crazy off-season last year. Alot of season subscribers dropped.

Want to see a mistake.....check out the 2003 draft. Possibly one of the deepest ever, and the Rangers take Hugh Jessiman at 12.

Rangers have had their share of pretty big blunders i'd say. For the first time in a long time, both teams seem to be heading in the right direction. Alot of the attendance problems stemmed from the crazy off-season last year. Alot of season subscribers dropped.

Want to see a mistake.....check out the 2003 draft. Possibly one of the deepest ever, and the Rangers take Hugh Jessiman at 12.
You guys took Jessiman over...

And I thank you.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
All teams have made huge blunders, especially with player personnel and contracts. The Islanders had been mismanaged for years surprisingly up until Snow and the management by committee (which critics thought would immediately fail) took over. The Isles have been on the right path since.

Charles Wang may be a madman and he may run a bizarre management style for a sports franchise. But he's loaded, he's dedicated to keeping the team on Long Island, he is extremely close with his players, and he's just the guy to get this arena development plan off the ground. I've been really critical of him in the past and can't believe I'm saying this, but the Islanders and the fans are actually lucky to have as dedicated an owner as he is. And we learned another thing about him today...he can admit to his mistakes. But buying out Yashin, letting Milbury go, and making a push for Smyth proves to me that Wang is making the difficult decisions to make this team better.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Whats going on with the arena situation in Nassau?
Well, first off, if the plans look anything like what you guys have in Newark, I'll be happy. I really like how the Prudential Center is taking shape and can't wait to catch a few games when I get up there. Plus, I'm happy to see the Devs selling tickets and I hope Wang uses the Devil's success at their new arena as an example to get the Isles arena moving along.

Nassau County has always stood in the way of getting the arena and the 70 acre hub developed. Wang has the plans, the development company, and the money to get the work done. The plans call for a major renovation of the existing Coliseum, new Marriott, practice facilities, offices, condos, shops, etc. And at the center would be the Lighthouse Tower, which is or may end up being scrapped because the town of Hempstead likely won't approve it. But, the last I heard is that it's caught up in the Nassau County politics and it will need approval from the town of Hempstead. Wang's patience is running thin though and I recall hearing that he has spoken to Suffolk County and even possibly Connecticut to get land to build on and tell Nassau to go shit in their hats.

Another option, of course, would be to make nice with Bruce Ratner and move the team to Brooklyn, but in the end, I think Wang really wants the 70 acres of Nassau County land to develop on.

So in other words, the arena plans have gone nowhere thanks to Nassau County.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
The Islanders are actually in some really great financial shape with Yashin gone. 10 players are signed for next season...which total around $20 mil-$21 mil, including the $2.2 mil to Yashin. With the cap at $52 mil and assuming they don't max out, they'll have just under $30 million to work with. Signing RFA's Hunter, Campoli, and Hilbert will tack on a max of maybe $4 mil. That'll leave about $25 million to play with in free agency. They can retain a few of their UFA's, keep Smyth, add a top line center (Gomez, Kariya, Drury), and still have a little bit of room to add another UFA.

At least, I hope.

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
What scares me as a Rangers fan is that the Isles are starting to make good decisions management-wise once again. I say let Smyth go and sign Blake and make him your new captain.

Yashin should just go back to Russia, and take Kovalev with him. They can open up their own hockey school. They can teach kids how to become REALLY REALLY good, make it to the NHL, get a lucrative contract before they earn it, and be lazy for the rest of their career.

If that doesn't work, Yashin can always start his own line of turtle-necks. Fuckin faggot.

ol' Cabey leg

As in Ol' (Darryl) Cabey leg
Is it true that Devils ticket prices are going to double with the new arena? I remember seeing that somewhere.

If I was the Snow, i'd try to keep both Smyth and Blake. Smyth first though, and hopefully not for what has been rumored(today somebody says 7 years 7 per) I say give him 5 years at 6 max. We will have to over pay no matter what we do and at least he can go to a contender after 5 years if things donw work out here. The way he plays the game, in 7 years he will be putting in 10 goals and 30 pts.

Blake just wants too much. He had such a great season and alot of it was because of.......ALEXEI YASHIN!!!! Especially early in the season when Yashin was playing great. Blake had something like 14 goals in 20 games, most of them set up by Yash. Then YAshin took that cheap shot and Blake's numbers declined big time. He did pick it up later on though.

He wants over 4 mill for 5 years and he is 33. I'd love to have him and i would gladly give him 4 mill, but not that long of a deal. And he is not captain material at all. Very selfish player.

As for Alexei Yashin, everybody says he is such a lazy player and I just never saw that. I always saw him skatin ghard every night. Never showed too much emotion, but I never saw him coasting out there. He was also a scapegoat alot of games. He would be sit for 2 periods because of one defensive mistake and no other player on the team was held accountable like that. He just made too much money and couldn't live up to that ocntract. Most guys couldn't. People say he sucks, meanwhile he would put up an average of 70 pts or so in a full season. Doesn't suck, just overpaid. Some team will get him for 2-3 million and it will be a hell of a deal. I'd like to see him in Washington. No pressure because it would all be on Alex and he would put up good numbers I bet.

Most Isles fans hate the guy right now, but I definitely wish him luck. He turned this franchise around. We were in the playoffs 4 out of 5 years after missing 7 in a row and he was a big part of that. As much as Isles fans hate him, they have to realize that behind Smyth(who you can't really count for last season) Yashin had the most PPG on the team. People seem to think we can buy him out, sign Smyth and Blake and we will be better than before. Not gonna happen.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
What scares me as a Rangers fan is that the Isles are starting to make good decisions management-wise once again. I say let Smyth go and sign Blake and make him your new captain.

Yashin should just go back to Russia, and take Kovalev with him. They can open up their own hockey school. They can teach kids how to become REALLY REALLY good, make it to the NHL, get a lucrative contract before they earn it, and be lazy for the rest of their career.

If that doesn't work, Yashin can always start his own line of turtle-necks. Fuckin faggot.
Nice! :) I never understood the whole turtleneck thing. But I guess when you don't skate and mull around the ice like a lost puppy...you kinda get cold out there.

I would do the exact opposite though regarding Blake and Smyth. Blake is not only a puckhog out there, but there are alot of rumors about him causing alot of distress in the lockerroom. He even got shoved on the bench a few years back by Roman Hamrlik.

And frankly, he was only good last season because he shared a line with Yashin, who surprisingly played very well with Blake when he was healthy. Blake wants a 4-5 year deal at like $4 mil per season...it's way, way too much for a 34-year old that's had one 40-goal season and three 20-goal seasons. Take Yashin off his line last season, and we'd be looking at a 20 goal scorer begging for $3 million.

badcellphoneguy

Kansas City...Kansas City here they come!
Yashin dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. Finally Ching Chung Charlie gets it right and listens to his hockey people. NOW SIGN RYAN SMYTH AND JASON BLAKE AFTER JULY 2ND WHEN THE SALARY CAP GOES TO 52 MILLION!!!!

Now with the Arena issue. Dont rule out the Isles and the Nets playing in Brooklyn. It would be easier for fans to get to the Brooklyn arena than the Nassau Coliseium. You have the LIRR and Subway right there in brooklyn. Nassau County is bankrupt. So if Ching Chung Charlie is going to have a new/refurbished arena in Uniondale it is going to be out of his own pocket. Ching Chung Charlie needs to get SMG out of the picture. SMG is whats basically fucking up the arena deal. My gut feeling is still the Islanders wont be on Long Island.

BTW IN DUBIE I ONLY TRUST!!!!

Glad to see that waste leave the league. I was shocked when the Isles took him off our hands in the first place.

Too bad they'll have cap money wasted for a few years, but still better to cut their losses first.

Wonder if some other GM will pick him up cheap, thinking they can turn him around.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
People seem to think we can buy him out, sign Smyth and Blake and we will be better than before. Not gonna happen.
There's no question that the Isles need to replace Yashin's 70-80 points, and that was even mentioned by Snow today. Assuming Kozlov isn't re-signed, the Isles depth at center is seriously lacking (Sillinger, Bates, Park). They need a number one center and another top six forward if Blake walks. And they need to get Satan going. Gomez and Drury are the more obvious choices that can fit well in Nolan's system. Drury has an interest in the Atlantic Division...his family is in Connecticut (Trumbull is not far from Port Jefferson Ferry). And he spoke highly of the organization and the fans during the playoffs. Though I heard San Jose has an interest, especially if they unload Marleau.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
No, they're not idiots for finally buying out, I'm just alluding to the fact that they're finally acknowledging what an awful signing this guy was. And no, the 2.2/year hit isn't THAT bad, but 17mil wasted by a franchise that had ~9,000 attendance at a few games this year...

Now how long until DP's howie-esque contract is bought out?
Yup, the Rangers never over pay anyone. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Isles Checklist This Summer:

Milbury Resignation - Check
Yashin Buy Out - Check
Sign Dubie - Check
Sign Ryan Smyth - in progress
Ban Opie (due to his sports curse) from the Coliseum - in progress

Ya know what's really sad...when the Yashin buyout gets more attention than tonight's game.

Eh you're right Jessiman is looking like a total bust, but it's tough to compare a bad 1st round pick to signing a lazy russian to a 10yr/87mil contract...

You could at least bring up Lindros, or Bure, or Nedved, or Theo Fleury, but at least these guys kinda produced when they were here, and Sather was smart enough to not wrap them up for life just because they had a few good seasons elsewhere..

badcellphoneguy

Kansas City...Kansas City here they come!
Isles Checklist This Summer:

Milbury Resignation - Check
Yashin Buy Out - Check
Sign Dubie - Check
Sign Ryan Smyth - in progress
Ban Opie (due to his sports curse) from the Coliseum - in progress

Ya know what's really sad...when the Yashin buyout gets more attention than tonight's game.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: