OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Israel: For fuck's sake, is there a swinging pair in the Obama White House?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by VMS, Jul 27, 2012.

1. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

Outside of Hillary's pantsuit, anyway?

[video=youtube;dGEn1TZtEmQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGEn1TZtEmQ[/video]

Link of article, so you get the text of the Q&A

Don't get me wrong: this was a political ambush question. The official position on Tel Aviv/Jerusalem (and under both Presidents Bush and Obama) is rather... complicated and unpopular among the Israeli hardcore. And in the current election, President Obama obviously doesn't want to highlight this unpopular (but IMO sensical) position.

But nut the fuck up Carney and spew it out. That's your fucking job. Don't pussy out and look fucking weak, you spineless little gimp.

President Obama and his White House are full of pussies. They run away from questionable issues. They pawn difficult decisions off on others. They blame others for their own problems. As soon as you hammer back on them on anything, they'll scream racism and ignore the controversial issue that was being discussed.

Pussies. Nothing but pussies.

2. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Not among the Israeli hardcore. Among the Israeli mainstream. The issue of Jerusalem as capital is one that everyone except the extreme left wing accepts and agrees with. Even Rabin, who is the symbol of the majority of the Israeli left wing famously said: "Jerusalem is united, will never be divided again."

I just don't get the purpose of appeasing people who hate you regardless of what you do, especially in this sniveling manner.

3. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

I stand corrected.

Neither do I. I figure the US position is what it is so the Palestinians will actually sit down at a table with the US acting as mediator.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

4. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Here's where this issue gets a bit meddled, unfortunately. Here's the deal:

The Palestinians want East Jerusalem as their capital. Even if that happens, Israel's capital will still remain Jerusalem (even if it is technically "West Jerusalem" - and that's also a misnomer. Trust me. I was born and raised there. A straight line of division there ain't. It's a mess).

The most recent polls I can find say that about 66% of Israelis oppose any division of Jerusalem. This is up like 16% from 2005. Point is the objection to the division isn't entirely religious/nationalistic. The worse the conflict gets, the less likely Israelis are to accept such a move - a) because it is a HUGE concession, and b) because it would only work if the people on the other side weren't constantly trying to kill them.

But the bottom line is that Jerusalem will always be Israel's capital, regardless of any future possible division, so holding out on the move as some kind of lever for a peace agreement is stupid. It has never helped with the Palestinians, and it doesn't really hurt the Israelis on an actual level. It mostly just makes White House Press Secretaries look like total assholes. That's some shrewd politicking there, Carney. :icon_cool

5. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

Make Tel Aviv the capital. It would piss off the Muzzies to make Israel's mecca of gay the capital of the country.

6. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Fucking Gotcha Media and their constant harassment of this administration!

7. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Believe me, they are madder that it is Jerusalem.

Honestly, if the White House Press Secretary cannot simply name the capital of one of his country's closest allies, then he deserves to be gotten.

8. the Streif

the Streif ¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
    Donator

Israel should attack Saudi Arabia and turn Mecca into the Jewish capitol. The seat of power should be put on top of that giant black rock thing that they all pray too and throw stones at during the hajj. The seat of power should be a port-o-potty that drains down into the rock thingy making it into a giant septic system.

Also, refuse to let any muslim into the city.

That'd show 'em.

Just sayin'.

9. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

10. Party Rooster

You guys are always meddling, so no surprise there. :action-sm

Absolutely. Do you think he just brain-farted and didn't want to name the wrong one or it was to "muddle" :icon_cool the conversation?

I honestly just had to look it up, I would have guessed Tel Aviv, in much the same way a lot of foreigners think New York is the capital of the U.S. I always thought Jerusalem was more a symbolic capital but they had held off on making it "official" because of its roots in Christianity and Islam.

11. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

The Capital of Israel is ISRAEL. :icon_cool

12. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Yeah, yeah. I'm not perfect. I know. Shocking.

It's the seat of all three branches of government. It is the safest city in the Middle East for both Muslims and Christians to visit their holy places. And its roots in Judaism predate both those of Christianity and Islam. In short it's bullshit politics meant to appease people who don't deserve appeasement.

13. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

On a somewhat related note...I would LOVE to quiz these politicians, government officials, etc on shit like this. Not even foreign countries, just questions about the United States. State capitols, particular Amendments, some general American history...I'd love to see how they would do.

14. Party Rooster

That's what I'm here for. To perfect your debating skillz. :icon_cool

Why do you hate Christians so much? Oh wait, never mind...:action-sm

Serious question: In the grand scheme of things, how big a deal is this in Israel? Is it something that's constantly debated over there? Because I would imagine it would be. I can't imagine not having a concrete capitol to think of in this country, but that's probably because I grew up here.

And I'm wondering if those journalists asked those questions to throw off some of the positive shine Obama would have gotten from signing the Israeli aid package today.

15. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I'm not sure what you mean by "constantly debated." To the average Israeli, Jerusalem is the capital and that's that. The issue of dividing it is debated more when peace talks happen or a possibility of some kind of agreement is in the air. Lately it hasn't, so the issue is pretty dormant, but most people pretty strongly object dividing it, and mostly for the logistical dangers that would imply. By the way, most Arab residents of East Jerusalem want to remain under Israeli sovereignty because they get good municipal services and the standard of living is pretty high. They don't want to become part of some failed state. But let's not listen to them. They only live there. :icon_cool

And speaking of the Israeli aid package - Obama misspoke and said it was $70 BILLION, not $70 million. I expect that clip to be played over and over on Alex Jones' show tomorrow. :icon_roll

16. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

I honestly always thought Tel Aviv was the capitol

17. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I'm not surprised. It's fucking sad, too, because that misinformation is put out there for the benefit of people that hate you.

18. Party Rooster

I think most of them would fail. I hear some of them think there's even 57 states in the U.S...;)

Thanks for clearing that up. I would imagine the U.S. political climate is probably a lot more in constant debate than most other places.

That doesn't surprise me.

$70 billion, $70 million, it's all the same to him...

[​IMG]

19. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

Contrary to most arguments, I don't hate Jews. That annoying old Jewish guy...I don't know what, I don't know what it is about people with that speech pattern and method of speaking that grates the Hell out of me. I encounter that about 6 or 7 times a week, and usually, they are complaining about paying a bill, or how we are not acting in their own best interest...yadda yadda yadda. Long story short...I transport about 50 Elderly per week, that guy is my least favorite type to do any form of patient care on.

20. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

The capital of Israel is I

21. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

I had no idea that there was even a debate going. I thought that Jerusalem being the capital of Israel was a given.

22. doomvulture

doomvulture Lord of Jailbait

One of these days the Israelis are just gonna say fuck it and the Middle East is going to have one fuck of a bad day. I just hope whoever is the president has the balls to back them up.

23. Sunsetspawn

Sunsetspawn Registered User

I always thought that Jerusalem was a religious capital like the Vatican while Tel Aviv housed the politicians. I honestly feel like I was TAUGHT IN SCHOOL that Tel Aviv was the capital, could that be possible or am I crazy?

24. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Many politicians live in Tel Aviv, and the defense ministry is there (also combines a Pentagon-type thing with the military command), but everything is basically in Jerusalem (they are only like 45 minutes apart, so it isn't a major commute). I can totally see some asshole teacher telling you that in school. Odds increase during certain decades and in certain states.

25. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

I never have and never will understand the persecution of Jews. Where and why did it start?