It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILOVEUWxx

Cacalog fisherman
Feb 25, 2002
Lowell, MA
Anyone else love that show? Boy, I sure do. Comedy Central runs a 2 hour block of it every Monday, and last night one of the episodes was "The Gang Exploits The Gas Crisis". The episode itself was hilarious, but one of the plot devices focused on how each of the 3 guys in the gang (excluding Frank) has a defined "role" within the group. Mac is the brains, Dennis is the looks, and since Charlie is a retard, they call him the "Wild Card" since he's so out of control and unpredictable!

Do you guys think this plot device unintentionally mirrors O&A since Jimmy came aboard as 3rd mic? I personally find all 3 members of the ASIP gang hysterical unlike all 3 members of O&A, so I can't call it an exact parallel. Maybe you guys can help me out.

How would you define specific roles for Opie, Anthony, and Jimmy?

Here's my shot

Anthony - Hilarious, could be doing this on his own

Jimmy - Hilarious, best suited as a "color commentator" or second mic in my opinion

Opie - Fucking useless. Jealous of Anthony, constantly searches for validation that he could have become famous without Anthony, and that Anthony owes him his life, when the reality is that there's a greater chance that Ant could've caught on with another DJ if Opie hadn't given him a shot, than there is the chance that Opie could've become successful without Anthony's input/influence. :action-sm

Discuss.

boardsofcanada

You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan
Jun 8, 2006
Anyone else love that show? Boy, I sure do. Comedy Central runs a 2 hour block of it every Monday, and last night one of the episodes was "The Gang Exploits The Gas Crisis". The episode itself was hilarious, but one of the plot devices focused on how each of the 3 guys in the gang (excluding Frank) has a defined "role" within the group. Mac is the brains, Dennis is the looks, and since Charlie is a retard, they call him the "Wild Card" since he's so out of control and unpredictable!

Do you guys think this plot device unintentionally mirrors O&A since Jimmy came aboard as 3rd mic? I personally find all 3 members of the ASIP gang hysterical unlike all 3 members of O&A, so I can't call it an exact parallel. Maybe you guys can help me out.

Here's my shot

Jimmy - Hilarious, best suited as a "color commentator" or second mic in my opinion

Opie - Fucking useless. Jealous of Anthony, constantly searches for validation that he could have become famous without Anthony, and that Anthony owes him his life, when the reality is that there's a greater chance that Ant could've caught on with another DJ if Opie hadn't given him a shot, than there is the chance that Opie could've become successful without Anthony's input/influence. :action-sm

Discuss.
no.

djeter220

User that is Registered.
May 17, 2007

Here's my shot

Discuss.
Opie isn't useless. He wouldn't have made it without the help of funny people and good personalities, but he's provided the show with the guidance that's lead them to where they are. I always thought he'd serve better as an exec. producer, but he's definitely pulled his weight in his partnership with Ant.

ILOVEUWxx

Cacalog fisherman
Feb 25, 2002
Lowell, MA
Opie isn't useless. He wouldn't have made it without the help of funny people and good personalities, but he's provided the show with the guidance that's lead them to where they are. I always thought he'd serve better as an exec. producer, but he's definitely pulled his weight in his partnership with Ant.
I see your point, and it's a good one. However, I did say "since Jimmy came on as 3rd mic". If you're referring to Opie's guidance before Jimmy came along, sure. But since then? I don't see it.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Without exaggeration, this might be the worst thread ever on the board.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Ok. This was the original post in the thread.

Here's my shot

Discuss.
Read it, then you'll see how I don't need to elaborate any further.

ILOVEUWxx

Cacalog fisherman
Feb 25, 2002
Lowell, MA
Ok. This was the original post in the thread.

Read it, then you'll see how I don't need to elaborate any further.
Since I wrote it, I don't need to read the original post again. Are you trying to insinuate that my opinion itself is reason enough to qualify this as "the worst thread ever"?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Since I wrote it, I don't need to read the original post again. Are you trying to insinuate that my opinion itself is reason enough to qualify this as "the worst thread ever"?
Topic: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Thesis: O+A is similar to IASIP.
Proof: The characters from O+A are not at all similar to the characters from IASIP.

ILOVEUWxx

Cacalog fisherman
Feb 25, 2002
Lowell, MA
Thesis: O+A is similar to IASIP.
Proof: The characters from O+A are not at all similar to the characters from IASIP.
Thesis: The plot of last night's episode of IASIP is similar to Opie's view of how O&A *should* be. (i.e. "Jimmy and Anthony are funny, and I'm not, so I need to be SHOCKING! and EDGY!")
Proof: There are 3 male characters at the center of last night's episode of IASIP, similar to O&A. The 3 characters of IASIP feel they should each have something specific to contribute to the group, only Charlie is too dumb to contribute anything substantive other than being a "wild card" which runs counter intuitively to the flow of whatever topic is at hand.. Opie seems to feel the 3 characters of O&A should each have something specific to contribute to the group, only he (Opie) is too dumb to contribute anything substantive other than "shockery" which runs counter intuitively to the flow of whatever topic is at hand.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Both are STAND alone works of comedic genius.

You'd better lube up as a freight train is about to roll through.

oldmandick

Back In Black!!
Donator
Jan 15, 2005
Goa Way
That's very profound, thanks for setting me straight.
It wasn't intended to be profound dumbass, just honest. Now do as douche nozzle said and lube up like a good little bitch.

ILOVEUWxx

Cacalog fisherman
Feb 25, 2002
Lowell, MA
It wasn't intended to be profound dumbass, just honest. Now do as douche nozzle said and lube up like a good little bitch.
"Like a good little bitch", huh? Seems I've painted myself into a bit of corner here. On one hand, I could ignore it and pretend that people like you don't disgust me, but you might mistake that for having shown me who's boss. On the other hand, if I were to pop off and respond in kind, I'd probably get torn to pieces seeing as how you have a comma and all.

I guess I'll just rest assured knowing that if we were face to face, there's no way you'd call me a "good little bitch", because you wouldn't want to risk getting all of your teeth knocked out and then being made to suck my dick with your dirty fuckin hillbilly gums, like the good little hillbilly bitch I'm sure you are.

oldmandick

Back In Black!!
Donator
Jan 15, 2005
Goa Way
I guess I'll just rest assured knowing that if we were face to face, there's no way you'd call me a "good little bitch", because you wouldn't want to risk getting all of your teeth knocked out and then being made to suck my dick with your dirty fuckin hillbilly gums, like the good little hillbilly bitch I'm sure you are.
Well, that didn't take long ... you lost your cool, played the WV card, and threatened bodily harm upon my person. Shit, if you had any sense you'd have used the age angle for a 4-for-4 performance, but that would have taken a little thought. But hey, thanks for making it all about me.

So why don't we get back to discussing your imbecilic proposition before your head explodes and you get all that watery fluid all over your screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.