Its Official, the UFC is heading to FOX

JMCC

Oct 4, 2004
UFC announces seven-year deal with FOX, debuts live fights on Nov. 12

As expected, the Ultimate Fighting Championship is heading to FOX.

UFC and FOX officials today announced a new seven-year, multimedia-rights agreement that includes four live events broadcast in prime time on FOX, as well as four to six live events each year on FOX's cable network, FX.

FX and FUEL TV also will broadcast extensive UFC programming, including live fights, pre- and post-event shows, countdown shows, "UFC Unleashed," "UFC Primetime," "UFC Knockouts," "Best of PRIDE" and weigh-in specials, as well as "The Ultimate Fighter reality series," which will now feature live fights and fan-voted matchups during two annual seasons.

The UFC's first FOX-broadcast event takes place Nov. 12. UFC president Dana White said the likely host city for the event is Anaheim, Calif. He did not reveal any fights for the card.

"We're excited to be part of the FOX family," White stated in an official release. "The UFC is finally where it belongs on the No. 1 network in the country and aligned with the most prestigious sports properties in the world. I've always said that the UFC will be the biggest sport in the world, and with this relationship it will become a reality."

As the UFC previously announced, FOX Deportes also will feature UFC programming.

"My brother Frank, Dana and I always believed that our passion for the sport of mixed martial arts would help us to build the UFC into a successful global brand and ultimately make it one of the premier sports properties in the world," UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta stated. "The partnership with FOX is a major step in making this a reality and also builds on the great relationship that we already have established with FOX in Latin America, Australia and Europe."
Some more notes:

1. 13 live episodes airing on the "FX" channel.
  2. Live, two-hour season premier will feature 32 fighters facing off in "all-or-nothing" fights to earn their place on the show.
  3. After coaches pick their teams, they will choose who is eligible for each bout. Viewers can also vote on and influence prospective match-ups.
  4. Each weekly show will be a "countdown" to that week's fight, which will air live at the end of each episode.
  5. Cameras will follow both winners and losers into the locker room following the fights.
  6. The season culminates in an all-live finale to crown the next TUF champion.
This is huge for the UFC and the fact that we don't have to wait till next year to see it on FOX is even better. There's rumors that the UFC wants a HW ME for its first show on FOX, so I'm thinking something like Overeem vs Mir or Lesnar.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
So does this mean UFC is officially bigger than Boxing? (Someone will probably say it already was, but...)

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
This seems like a huge step forward for the UFC. As long as Joe Buck doesn't start showing up on the broadcasts, I think I'm happy about this.

The new live TUF format looks like it might be compelling. I haven't watched much of that show over the last few seasons but this might rekindle my interest a bit.

“‘The Ultimate Fighter’ Season 14 in September will be our last,” a Spike TV official wrote in a statement sent to Sherdog.com. “We are increasing our commitment to distinctive, original series that we own such as ‘Auction Hunters’ and ‘Bar Rescue,’ which are delivering on our goal to reach a broader audience. Our six-year partnership with the UFC has been incredibly beneficial in building both our brands, and we wish them all the best in the future.”
Haha, good luck with "Auction Hunters". Spike is all but dead now.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
As long as Joe Buck doesn't start showing up on the broadcasts, I think I'm happy about this.
Can you imagine? "Kick to the head...We have a new champion."

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
This seems like a huge step forward for the UFC. As long as Joe Buck doesn't start showing up on the broadcasts, I think I'm happy about this.
I bet Buck could actually do it. And by "it" I mean take the excitement level of a UFC event down to your average golf tournament.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
So does this mean UFC is officially bigger than Boxing?
Boxing isn't big anymore. But when it was big, it was bigger than the UFC will ever be. It was bigger than any sport except maybe baseball and soccer.

kramer0419

Mar 5, 2008
Cleveland
Joe Buck:" As the sun sets over the horizon of the desert here in Las Vegas we venture down the road to the MGM Grand where tonight two warriors will do battle in what is a true test of heart, strength, will, and desire. It is here that the battle ground......"

ALRIGHT!

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Joe Buck:" As the sun sets over the horizon of the desert here in Las Vegas we venture down the road to the MGM Grand where tonight two warriors will do battle in what is a true test of heart, strength, will, and desire. It is here that the battle ground......"

ALRIGHT!
[monotone voice]Anderson Silva gets him down.... punches....punches.....punches....it's over[/monotone voice]

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
Great for FX, I loved when the used to show Tough man. Hopefully Fox keeps Rogan and Goldie for broadcasts.

salz4life

May 11, 2007
Fox Lake, IL
Hopefully Fox keeps Rogan and Goldie for broadcasts.
Is it really possible they won't? That would be dumb of Fox, IMO. I'd rather hear Goldie do baseball and football over Joe Buck. I don't even know if he knows anything about the sports.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Rogan and Goldie work for the UFC, not for Spike. There is less than zero chance that they will be let go. I guarantee they came with the package. Dana White knows that they are VERY popular with fans, and the best in the business at play-by-play and analysis.

salz4life

May 11, 2007
Fox Lake, IL
Rogan and Goldie work for the UFC, not for Spike. There is less than zero chance that they will be let go. I guarantee they came with the package. Dana White knows that they are VERY popular with fans, and the best in the business at play-by-play and analysis.

That's what I figured.

JMCC

Oct 4, 2004
Rogan and Goldberg aren't going anywhere, but we might see Gus Johnson doing the pre and post fights.

JMCC

Oct 4, 2004
[YT]GeK-YhHX5SE[/YT]

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
I like the promo. It's going to be nice to see a major network treating MMA like a legitimate sport and not a freak show.

And I think part of the deal was that the UFC gets to keep producing their own events, so I don't believe there's any danger of Goldberg and Rogan going anywhere.

Oct 16, 2002
N.J.
Boxing isn't big anymore. But when it was big, it was bigger than the UFC will ever be. It was bigger than any sport except maybe baseball and soccer.
Will ever be? Ever is a long time. The UFC is very young as far as sports go. It's only been around since 1993 and was banned from ppv for a few years. At it's young age it's much further along then any other main stream sports has been.

Boxing is dead now and the UFC is going to be shown on FOX. Boxing's biggest ppv ever was 2.4 million buys and the UFC's was 1.6 million. It's only a matter of time before the UFC has the top PPV spot over boxing.

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
There's rumors that the UFC wants a HW ME for its first show on FOX, so I'm thinking something like Overeem vs Mir or Lesnar.
Overeem was released

From Meltzer:
A few quick notes from a conversation with Dana White regarding the new deal:

*They've been negotiating this deal hardcore for nine months, and has been well documented, with multiple networks

*UFC will control the production of the shows, but they are going to make changes, including getting rid of the Gladiator open. "I'm looking at this as a fresh start."

*FOX and FX will not only air fights, but also air pre and post-game shows before and after. FOX and FX will be in charge of the production, so they will have their own announcing crew. For the fights themselves, the idea is to keep Joe Rogan & Mike Goldberg together.

*The number of PPVs in 2012 will drop from 15 this year to 13 next year

*As much as possible, they'd like the FOX shows to coincide with the PPV shows, shortly before so they can use the biggest exposure to push the PPVs.

*Ultimate Fighter starts in March on FX with a two hour special. The time slot is not determined so it's not a sure thing it will or won't go head-to-head with Smackdown. Those aspects of the deal are not done.

*The show will be filmed in Las Vegas at the UFC Gym. As far as the live fights go, he said they would most likely be done live from the gym, but that's not for sure.

*As far as the UFC TV channel idea that he had talked about, that's not in the cards for now. "I don't even want to think about that. It's not what we do."

*FX Fight Nights will be the same type of shows as the Spike Fight Nights.

*The four FOX network live specials will be a higher caliber of fight.

*There is 0% chance of Brock Lesnar being on the 11/12 show. Lesnar will not even be cleared to go to the gym to start light conditioning training for three more weeks and the earliest he will fight is the ealry part of 2012.

*He did not rule out using some fighters and pulling matches on some of the shows tentitively booked for the fall to be on the 11/12 show. Said they are working on the main event right now and will announce it ASAP.

*He regrets not booking a soccer stadium for the show next week in Rio de Janeiro. The first day tickets went on sale for the 8/27 show, they sold out 14,000 seats immediately, but there were 350,000 calls made for tickets. "We blew it. We pussed out. We could have done something crazy."

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
*He regrets not booking a soccer stadium for the show next week in Rio de Janeiro. The first day tickets went on sale for the 8/27 show, they sold out 14,000 seats immediately, but there were 350,000 calls made for tickets. "We blew it. We pussed out. We could have done something crazy."

Never too late to fix a wrong...

Papagolash

24.24.2.2194 [Incarcerated]
Wackbag Staff
Nov 11, 2001
I was thinking the same thing too, too much Brock there. I can see why they have him in it lots, he's UFC's biggest draw.

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
I was thinking the same thing too, too much Brock there. I can see why they have him in it lots, he's UFC's biggest draw.
Supposedly they want his first fight back but Dana wants him on PPV for obvious reasons

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Will ever be? Ever is a long time. The UFC is very young as far as sports go. It's only been around since 1993 and was banned from ppv for a few years. At it's young age it's much further along then any other main stream sports has been.

Boxing is dead now and the UFC is going to be shown on FOX. Boxing's biggest ppv ever was 2.4 million buys and the UFC's was 1.6 million. It's only a matter of time before the UFC has the top PPV spot over boxing.
Well yeah, but it's not 2.4 million buys on PPV that made boxing massive. It's the interest it drew from the majority of the planet's population. That's not going to happen with the UFC, or MMA in general.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Well yeah, but it's not 2.4 million buys on PPV that made boxing massive. It's the interest it drew from the majority of the planet's population. That's not going to happen with the UFC, or MMA in general.
I don't know about that, time will tell I guess. MMA isn't just gaining popularity in the US. It's huge in Japan and Brazil already and growing in Europe. They've been holding events in China since 2005. Considering how far the sport has come in less than 20 years, I don't think it's crazy to think that it's in line to be the next "major" sport.