Jack the Giant Killer- Bryan Singer's Jack and the Beanstalk- now it's March 22, 2013

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
[yt]1opzWmr8NSU[/yt]

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
I'm a sucker for fairy tales and movies about them. I will probably love this.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
I was hoping for a reboot of the 1960s film. The one RiffTrax riffed on a few months back.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
It actually looks like it could be alright.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
The giant dies

The kid from Skins turned out to be a pretty good actor.

mascan42

Oof. A nine-month delay? That can't be good.

mascan42

Whatever you do, don't get them wet. Also, don't feed them after midni . . . oh, wrong movie.

The Arthur and Lancelot movie shows you one of the things that is wrong with Hollywood. Just because the formula worked in Sherlock Holmes, doesn't mean its going to succeed in other films.

Jack the Giant Killer getting pushed back whole year doesn't bode well and it now has flop written all over it.
I'm thinking this Arthur and Lancelot movie doesn't happen. The budget's too big. And you're right, the take just seems off.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
This movie comes out in less than a week. Doesn't it feel like there should be more push behind it?

Edible Napalm

Powers are for the weak.
This movie looks like it's going to be like that horrid Mirror, Mirror movie from the beginning of last year.

Edible Napalm

Powers are for the weak.
Also the fact the the CGI makes fucking ReBoot look like Avatar isn't a good sign either.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
The dialog and story of the movie belong in a D-list film. The Room had a stronger plot.
I've written a lot on this topic on Wackbag, but to me the greatest offense Avatar committed was being horribly horribly unimaginative. Give me a schlock story but have it take place on a truly original alien planet with creatures I never imagined could exist and I'll give you a pass on the cheese, but in this case the cheese was masked by cheese. Pandora was the least interesting fantastical alien planet I've ever seen. Arakis was more interesting, and it was a desert planet.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
I've written a lot on this topic on Wackbag, but to me the greatest offense Avatar committed was being horribly horribly unimaginative. Give me a schlock story but have it take place on a truly original alien planet with creatures I never imagined could exist and I'll give you a pass on the cheese, but in this case the cheese was masked by cheese. Pandora was the least interesting fantastical alien planet I've ever seen. Arakis was more interesting, and it was a desert planet.
With video games, comic books, movies, and TV shows, my biggest gripe is dialog and story. I can excuse cheese dick acting and shitty visuals if there's a great story being told and the characters act natural within that world.

Robocop 1 could have been one of the worst movies ever made, instead it's one of my favorite sci-fi movies ever made. It's not just a movie about a man becomes a robot to fight crime, it's a man becomes a machine and try's to rediscover his humanity. While fighting crime and having the city eventually turn on him. Sure there's some stupid dialog in bits of the film but the grande picture out weighs said gripes.

The core of every piece of media I mentioned is story and if the story sucks I simply don't bother with it in the first place.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
With video games, comic books, movies, and TV shows, my biggest gripe is dialog and story. I can excuse cheese dick acting and shitty visuals if there's a great story being told and the characters act natural within that world.

Robocop 1 could have been one of the worst movies ever made, instead it's one of my favorite sci-fi movies ever made. It's not just a movie about a man becomes a robot to fight crime, it's a man becomes a machine and try's to rediscover his humanity. While fighting crime and having the city eventually turn on him. Sure there's some stupid dialog in bits of the film but the grande picture out weighs said gripes.

The core of every piece of media I mentioned is story and if the story sucks I simply don't bother with it in the first place.
Normally I'd agree with you, but Avatar is different for 2 reasons:

1) It was a showcase for technology and billed itself as a fantastical journey to an alien planet; and

2) The visuals are routinely used as a response to criticism of the story and dialogue. "Yeah, they were cheesy, but it was mainly about the journey to Pandora." The only reason the visuals are a more epic fail than the story or dialogue is the effort to quality ratio. I'm guessing they didn't have hundreds of people poring over every line of dialogue and rewriting the story thousands of times to make it perfect. They just slapped some shit together and went with it. With the visuals, they spent several hundreds of thousands of man hours creating something that looked amazing, but that was horribly non-creative. What a goddamn waste.

So yeah, when I am sold on a brand new epic sci-fi franchise, I have high expectations not just from the movie itself, but from the universe it created. They spend almost half a billion dollars on this movie, and yet a Bantha is a far more creative creature than anything in Avatar because it has no Earth equivalent. Name one thing in Avatar that isn't just a slightly alienized version of an Earth animal. That is the biggest yawn in science fiction to me. You are unlimited in your imagination and the best you can do is a 6-legged horse with nostrils in his neck? Fuck you, Cameron.