Jake Brown Horrific Crash at X GAMES 13

May 7, 2003
Hicksville NY
Didn't wanna bury this in sports..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBvCrSjpx9I

LOS ANGELES – Already leading last night's X Games 13 Skateboard Big Air event going into his fifth and final jump, Encinitas' Jake Brown went for broke. The Australian native rolled down the 80-foot ramp, then spun two revolutions across a 70-foot gap.
Soaring up the 27-foot quarterpipe after landing, Brown attempted what's called a 540 McTwist, a twisting, turning trick with 1½ revolutions.

What followed was one of the most frightening falls in X Games history. The 5-foot-6 Brown lost his board, his momentum carrying him away from the quarterpipe ramp. Flailing and kicking his arms and legs like a tumbling cat, Brown dropped an estimated 45 feet to the flat wooden deck, landing so violently on his legs that one of his shoes flew across the floor.

For two minutes, Brown lay motionless on the deck.

“I seriously thought he was dead, broke his back or broke both legs,” said fellow skater Pierre-Luc Gagnon of Carlsbad. “That was the gnarliest slam I've ever seen in my life.”

Aug 12, 2005
PA
Holy shit. I knew what was coming from the story and still cringed when I saw it. He was damn lucky to wack away from that one.

Fruit Monkey

Don't stare at it eat it! P-1 In trainning
Oct 4, 2004
Intransit
OMG HE LOST HIS SHOES (sol rosenberg voice)

Im fucking laughing so fucking hard. Jesus christ its funny cause he walked away but the effort to get there
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

I have to leave this thread and never come back i got frugals sound in the background and im fucking crying literally

Aug 27, 2002
Bensalem, PA via Souf Philly
A bar I was in last night had the X-Games on and saw it happen live. The entire bar pulled a whoa after they showed the crash in Slo-mo...

Capt.Hilarious

Of all the names to choose...Capt.Hilarious?
Apr 26, 2006
MD
The last angle is the best - you can really see the impact and how he bounces. He is one lucky bastard.

B

BreeZyBaBii187

wow. it almost looked animated

hjpt

Jul 27, 2005
I love the flailing legs. Feets don't fail me now!
The hamster in a wheel w/o the wheel move was priceless. I loffed so hard that the person next to me in the airport bar gave me a dirty look. That'll teach him to buy Acme skateboards.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
that shit sucks. he had to have had a concussion or internal blleding or something. that is one of the sickest crashes i have ever seen. ive been launched in the middle of an 8' halfpipe on my fruit boots before. i was done that day

45 feet is just an insane height to fall from and still be ok.

MyKneeGrows

A Mean-Spirited Nothing™
Sep 14, 2006
Milwaukee
May 7, 2003
Hicksville NY
Just a matter of time before one of these guys gets paralyzed or dies....I'm guess before this weekend is over.

Sparkstalker

Mar 23, 2006
Holy shit. How he walked away from that, I'll never understand.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
Holy shit. How he walked away from that, I'll never understand.
Me either. A fall from a four story building onto concrete is only marginally survivable, and guaranteed to fuck you up. That board surface was probably pretty springy, so that and a lot of luck helped.
It almost seemed like he knew how he needed to land, and was trying to get into a specific position. Guess it worked.
Still, quick rough math, it's a 50 or so MPH hit.

BJQueen

I'm good - just ask me, I'll tell ya
Mar 16, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia
"WOOHOO X-GAMES!!!! I ROCK!!!!"

Was that his response immediately following? Isn't that what makes the x-games fun to watch?

Lucky F-ER

dodisman

Feb 20, 2005
Shoes popping off was fucked....you always hear about in car accidents people getting literally knocked out of their shoes...that was basically the same thing

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
was that Joe Rogan I heard in the background???

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Holy shit-- you evuh see a paira shoes come apart like dat?

Smokezilla

U. S. Backstroke Roulette Champion
Jul 30, 2005
BumFuck-Egypt, KY
I saw that shit on the local news broadcast last night. . . WOW!:icon_eek:

Sparkstalker

Mar 23, 2006
I caught some of the X-Games stuff last night and they showed it again...seeing it on a big TV screen really makes your guts twist.

LBF

Banned
Jun 18, 2005
West Tennessee
Shoes popping off was fucked....you always hear about in car accidents people getting literally knocked out of their shoes...that was basically the same thing

Weirdest shit ever. I had a car wreck when I was 16. A pair of fully laced and tied high tops got knocked off my feet. Didn't even come untied. I have no idea how the hell it happened.

That dude is lucky to be alive, let alone walking away fairly unharmed.