Janitors Sue Employer for Not Providing Instructions in Spanish

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
This takes some serious balls. Come to this country and demand that people spend their time and money catering to you because you haven't bothered learning the language.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/po...ons-in-spanish/#ixzz2TH3SrJwc?test=latestnews

Spanish-speaking custodial workers at the Auraria Higher Education Center in Colorado, a campus that serves students from three colleges, are suing based on what they say is a failure of their bosses to communicate with them in their native language, according to published reports.

The workers said the language gap created unsafe working conditions, according to The Denver Post.

The roughly dozen custodial workers filed a complaint against AHEC with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

The Denver Post reported that Tim Markham, the attorney representing the workers, said that the center only communicated with its workers in English – which had resulted in men suffering injuries on the job as well as changes in their schedule that were detrimental to them.

Officials with the AHEC, which caters to students from the Metropolitan State University of Denver, the University of Colorado-Denver and the Community College of Denver, told several media outlets they had not had a chance to review the complaint.

But The Denver Post said that Blaine Nickeson, an AHEC vice president, said the AHEC knew that some custodians had complained about their working conditions.

Nickeson said that the AHEC does offer some translations, and that serving all of the diverse groups of janitors in their native language is not feasible.

"We have a staff of over 100 custodians, and a small group of them were dissatisfied with changes that were made about a year and a half ago," Nickeson said, according to the Post. "There were recourses available to them, and they took the opportunity to use them; however, the issues weren't resolved to their satisfaction."

The custodians’ attorney said his clients are not seeking anything that other employers do not provide.

“Other higher education facilities including CU and UNC provide information to their custodial employees in a number of different languages,” Markham is quoted by The Daily Caller as saying. “We’ve been discussing this with Auraria for a year with no movement on their part, and this is the final step.”​

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
In their defense, colorado has a shitload of spics.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I would think all the manager would have to know is "¡Limpiar vómito aquí!"

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
The U.S. has no official language. Spanish could easily be the dominant language in the future.

Yo hablo español.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
The U.S. has no official language. Spanish could easily be the dominant language in the future.

Yo hablo español.
Welcome to yack in thae box, can i take your order?
Yes, i'd like a fountain drink please.
Eh, jorge what's fountain drink?
-es like coca-cola.
Oh, why didn't you say so stupid? we got epepsi, esprite, pina colada, mester peep..

f kane

Known Traffic Menace
Feb 10, 2010
I bet libs would approve of Spanish being the official language; English is too white for them.

mrbucket75

Jan 9, 2009
GJ. CO.
Fuck em. I dont go to other countries and act like an asshole because I dont speak German or Chinese. They would tell me to learn the language. We should do the same.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Welcome to yack in thae box, can i take your order?
Yes, i'd like a fountain drink please.
Eh, jorge what's fountain drink?
-es like coca-cola.
Oh, why didn't you say so stupid? we got epepsi, esprite, pina colada, mester peep..
Do dat copleta you oda?

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
All the Spanish they need.

Estás despedido, spic perezoso. Ir recoger su último cheque de pago y apostar en las peleas de perros. Quién sabe, incluso podría tener suerte y ganar, entonces su miseria puede extenderse unas semanas más.

Buena suerte para encontrar otro trabajo cómodo donde todo lo que tienes que hacer es limpiar pisos, y por cierto, lo jodidamente difícil es de entender "Vaciar los contenedores de basura" en cualquier lenguaje de suerte?

Beat it, estúpido.

No offense meant toward any of my fine Hispanic friends. (Yes, I'm looking at you Master Paux ... :p )

We're DMFD. So, odds some asshole judge gives these jerkoffs money?

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
White Americans and politicians are too afraid to be called the "R" word so English will never be the official language.

Hispanics have no such timidity so I'm betting there will be a push for Spanish to be the official language in the not to distant future.

May 8, 2009
Bawferston
All the Spanish they need.

Estás despedido, spic perezoso. Ir recoger su último cheque de pago y apostar en las peleas de perros. Quién sabe, incluso podría tener suerte y ganar, entonces su miseria puede extenderse unas semanas más.

Buena suerte para encontrar otro trabajo cómodo donde todo lo que tienes que hacer es limpiar pisos, y por cierto, lo jodidamente difícil es de entender "Vaciar los contenedores de basura" en cualquier lenguaje de suerte?

Beat it, estúpido.

No offense meant toward any of my fine Hispanic friends. (Yes, I'm looking at you Master Paux ... :p )

We're DMFD. So, odds some asshole judge gives these jerkoffs money?
Ugh, reading proper Spanish is such a pain in the ass. I'm used to dirty Spanish... which is mainly what we Ricans speak. We butcher the language.

When we first came to this country, we learned the language. I feel no sympathy for others who refuse to do so.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I don't think they have a pierna to stand on.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
We dont adopt English as the official language but what language do you think most people learn that dont live in North or South America.

I think its understandable to have a company decide its in their best intre$t to have translations available. Otherwise it should not be a requirement.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
First thing I thought...

YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE THE GRACE TO LEARN HOW TO SPEAK MY LANGUAGE?!

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I have noticed more English and Spanish on products now... plus the aisle signs in Lowes and HD are in English and Spanish as well now... like around here I mean. The HD and Lowes in MA had Spanish signs in them for years.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
How did they fill out the applications? Get through the interview?

If the applications were in spanish and english and if they had a spanish interpreter present for the initial interview then I can see an expectation of thinking they could be instructed in spanish.

If the applications were in english only and they got someone to help them read it or the interview was in english and they nodded their way through an english interview then fuck them. And shame on the people that hired them knowing they didn't speak english.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Ugh, reading proper Spanish is such a pain in the ass. I'm used to dirty Spanish... which is mainly what we Ricans speak. We butcher the language.

When we first came to this country, we learned the language. I feel no sympathy for others who refuse to do so.
The PRs I know butcher both languages equally. My friends from Spain cringe to hear it.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
The PRs I know butcher both languages equally. My friends from Spain cringe to hear it.
My chick's ex was a PR... but a fancy PR that spoke with a Spanish aka Castillian accent... the reg PRs made fun of him

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004

You're alright in my book, little missy.