January 2014 Book Club

Which book?

• The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival - John Valliant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Struggle: Book 1 - Karl Ove Knausgaard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
This is the third of four books with this protagonist? Are we missing anything reading this one first? Just curious.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
$2 for a whore and $0.15 for a cocktail? Have we invented time machines yet?

Last edited:

whiskeyguy

Donator
Yeah I just read that section too.
Yeah I'm about 12% in. I'm enjoying his depression and delusion but this needs to lead to something eventually. So far I would describe it as less of a Great Gatsby and more like On the Road, but confined to a two block radius and with less friends.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
This is the third of four books with this protagonist? Are we missing anything reading this one first? Just curious.
I'm not lost at all. I think it's a good starting place for this character thus far.

Yeah I'm about 12% in. I'm enjoying his depression and delusion but this needs to lead to something eventually. So far I would describe it as less of a Great Gatsby and more like On the Road, but confined to a two block radius and with less friends.
I can definitely see how it influenced Bukowski. And I'm not really getting a Gatsby vibe from this either. Much closer to On The Road with the manic desperation.

Kugzilla

I'm getting a Holden Caulfield grows up and starts channeling Amory from Fitzgeralds "this side of paradise" with no money and is now on his way to becoming that dude from "Confederacy of Dunces"

whiskeyguy

Donator
I can definitely see how it influenced Bukowski. And I'm not really getting a Gatsby vibe from this either. Much closer to On The Road with the manic desperation.
I've never read Bukowski and I skipped the introduction because I think they ruin the reading experience, but I'll often go back and read them after finishing a novel.

I'm getting a Holden Caulfield grows up and starts channeling Amory from Fitzgeralds "this side of paradise" with no money and is now on his way to becoming that dude from "Confederacy of Dunces"
Yeah there's a little Caulfield in it, although Bandini seems more optimistic than Caulfield. They're actually a good contrast, because Caulfield had more to be optimistic about but had a much more cynical outlook on life.

I do like how Fante hasn't gone too overboard romanticizing the writing profession... sure there's some of that but too often authors get a little biased when the main character is a writer... which I just now started referring to as the "Californication syndrome". Sometimes they try to make the reader both sympathize with and envy characters who are writers to an obnoxious extent.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Yeah there's a little Caulfield in it, although Bandini seems more optimistic than Caulfield.
I don't see him as optimistic as much knowingly self delusional. He's a loser, he always has been, he knows it and he is desperately trying to convince himself otherwise.

LiddyRules

I don't see him as optimistic as much knowingly self delusional. He's a loser, he always has been, he knows it and he is desperately trying to convince himself otherwise.
He's also a real dick. Caufield was a whiny kid trying to find his way in the world- annoying but not bad. Bandini is a man so in love with himself and his talent and so desperate to believe in it that he's a total cunt.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Optimistic might be the wrong word, but Caulfield didn't even try fooling himself. Bandini still has some hope, at least so far into the story.

LiddyRules

Optimistic might be the wrong word, but Caulfield didn't even try fooling himself. Bandini still has some hope, at least so far into the story.
But it's not a happy hope, it's more a desperate hope or even a cynical hope where he puts all the hate he has for himself on everyone else for not recognizing his "talent." He's blinding himself to the truth.

Kugzilla

He's also a real dick. Caufield was a whiny kid trying to find his way in the world- annoying but not bad. Bandini is a man so in love with himself and his talent and so desperate to believe in it that he's a total cunt.
And as we learned along the way, Holden had some pretty haunting experiences in his past. We/I don't yet know that about this dude although he's reminding me more and more of the Confederacy of Dunces guy

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
I forgot to mention this the other day. But I started an audiobook the other day about Teddy Roosevelt's time as NYPD Police Board chairman. It's pretty fuck interesting. I wonder how much of that is mentioned in the Roosevelt book that was a choice. The book is called Island of Vice. The police were real shitbags back then.

Kugzilla

I think this is a book best read in one sitting. I'm finding it harder to get back in after having to put it down. I'll muddle through but I think there's a rhythm at work here

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
I have lived my life guided by the teachings of Ignatius J. Reilly.

Tetro

I'm thinking that Great Gatsby comparison is kinda bullshit. Not that one or the other is better, just that they're not comparable.

Anyone finish this yet?

whiskeyguy

Donator
I'm like 28% done with no real chance to sit down and read for an extended time. My goal is to finish it by the 10th because I want to start the next Ice & Fire book soon.

I still think it's pretty good, but nothing like Gatsby.

LiddyRules

I'm thinking that Great Gatsby comparison is kinda bullshit. Not that one or the other is better, just that they're not comparable.

Anyone finish this yet?
I did, and I enjoyed it. There was something so identifiable yet pathetic but human yet cunty about Bandini's patheticness and desperation and delusion.* Especially his yearning for Camilla. But The Great Gatsby? No. It's a far more like The Beautiful and The Damned than Great Gatsby.

*(I kind of want to read the sequel where Bandini talks about colonizing Mars to become a billionaire and figuring out ways for people to turn into blue energy.)

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
I'm on chapter three and I want Bandini dead.

Tetro

Interesting @LiddyRules. I felt the same way.

I'm waiting for a couple more people to finish before I discuss some scenes. But firstly, what do you think of the relation between Camilla and Arturo? Is it believable?

I found it interesting because I completely relate to the mixed-signal/back-and-forth at the early part of any relationship. So many times I've started out great only to fuck it up because of "getting in my head," or over analyzing things. There were certain moments
like them going on a date to shoot guns, that I actually did myself, not remembering that section in the book, and it ended just as badly
with their relationship that I can totally relate to, and him being around that other girl
that was frumpy but wanted to fuck him, and he battled with being a man about it, almost as if any "man" in that situation would have sex with her.

More questions coming ....

LiddyRules

Interesting @LiddyRules. I felt the same way.

I'm waiting for a couple more people to finish before I discuss some scenes. But firstly, what do you think of the relation between Camilla and Arturo? Is it believable?
Definitely. It's not science fiction to get into a ridiculously unhealthy relationship, realizing it's ridiculously unhealthy, yet still obsess over the chick. We've been that guy, and we've known that guy. Christ, we've had threads about this exact topic.

DrewDown

All are welcome
Starting this tonight. It's not that long, so I should be done by Monday.