Jersey Governor still getting himself in trouble with his fortune

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Corzine gave $15,000 to his ex-girlfriend's brother-in-law

Gov. Jon Corzine gave $15,000 this year to the brother-in-law of his former girlfriend, Carla Katz, a gift that appears to contradict the governor's claims that he ended all financial entanglements with the union leader and her family before taking office.

Rocco Riccio, who is married to Katz's sister, received the money after the governor forced him in January to quit a Turnpike Authority job. At the time, reporters had been pressing Corzine's office for answers about Riccio's work record and how he got hired.

In an interview Thursday, Corzine acknowledged that he gave Riccio $10,000 this spring and that his personal business manager, acting on his behalf, paid Riccio another $5,000 this summer. Corzine also said he and his aides told Riccio they would try to find him a private-sector job.

The governor, a multimillionaire, said he was acting out of a "sense of human responsibility" to a friend who had lost his job and was teetering on bankruptcy. He said he did not believe that helping Riccio reflected an ongoing commitment to Katz or her family.

"I did not think of this as a tie to Carla - period," Corzine said. "The guy is on the edge of losing his house. I know it. And I feel like he helped me. And I have the ability to help him."

Riccio confirmed the receipts, which he said he used to pay the mortgage on the Burlington County house where he lives with Katz's sister and mother.

A 44-year-old accountant, Riccio denied that he had done anything wrong while working in state government, but said he knew that his resignation could spare the governor more questions about Katz. He also said he quit because Corzine and his aides promised to help him get a job, but hadn't.

"I was made promises to step down; they were never kept," Riccio said during an interview. "I fell on the sword for the guy."

The disclosure is likely to stir a new round of questions about how the Democratic governor's love life and fortune have influenced his actions, and about the romantic relationship with Katz that has haunted him as much as any legislative issue or political stance during his short tenure.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
A Jersey politician engaged in shady dealings? Hints of corruption?

I'm shocked. The devil you say!

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Why is New Jersey kicking our ass now when it comes to graft and corruption? We at least sent our governor to jail.

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
I'd rather him suck a dick and speed up dmv lines. at least the fruit did "something" in office unlike almost all of the democrats before him
Exactly! The republicans had their shot in this state, and the best they could come up with was Christine Whitman. UGH!

Capt.Caveman

Totally unlikeable
Jan 13, 2005
closer to a playground then allowed by law
Exactly! The republicans had their shot in this state, and the best they could come up with was Christine Whitman. UGH!
they ran a woman they knew liberal jizzbags couldn't resist voting for a woman. all politicians are corrupt but nj democrats take the cake

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
Why is New Jersey kicking our ass now when it comes to graft and corruption? We at least sent our governor to jail.
the last jersey governor would like it in jail, and what do you expect from liberals? No one expects them to be honest and upright, hence not much outrage when they are caught.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Mondale was the last time a lefty inadvertantly told the truth and suffered for it.

"We're both going to raise your taxes. He won't tell you. I will!"

Hello, Reagan!

Since then outside of California they'll just lie to you.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
Actually, I don't give a shit what corzine does with his money.

I do keep sending emails to all of my state-level elected officials asking when they are going to start cutting expenses.