Jim Leyritz arrested on DUI/Vehicular Homicide

SurlyTruckDrivr

You've got a friend in WDTv2.0
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3171228

Former major league baseball player Jim Leyritz has been arrested in Broward County, Fla. on suspicion of drunken driving and vehicular homicide, WPLG-TV in Miami reported Friday.

The station reported that according to Fort Lauderdale police, a car driven by Leyritz, who lives in Plantation, Fla., hit another car at Southwest 7th Avenue and Second Street early Friday morning.

According to the report, the passenger in the car that Leyritz allegedly struck was ejected from the car and died at the scene, police said.

Leyritz, whose 44th birthday was Thursday, refused a Breathalyzer test, police said, according to the report.

The station reported that according to police records, Leyritz was booked at 4:30 a.m. and ordered held on $11,000 bond.

Leyritz is most remembered for his Game 4 heroics in the 1996 World Series while a member of the New York Yankees.
With the Yankees trailing the Atlanta Braves 2-1 in the series, Leyritz hit a three-run homer in the eighth inning to tie Game 4 at Atlanta. The Yankees won the game and the series, starting a run of a four championships in five seasons.
Leyritz, played 11 seasons in the major leagues for six teams including the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, Red Sox, Padres and Dodgers. He was a career .264 hitter with 90 home runs and 387 RBIs in 903 career games, primarily as a catcher and infielder.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Yeah, Leyritz can only crash into cars travelling in a straight line. He's still got trouble with the curve.

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
If that passenger that was ejected was not wearing a seat belt, he should not be charged with vehicular homocide.

Ejected usually means that there was no seat belt being worn, therefore, that passenger was breaking Florida law.

Dopie Opie

Yeah, Leyritz can only crash into cars travelling in a straight line. He's still got trouble with the curve.
Yeah, I was thinking that the other driver must have been a lefty, since Leyritz can't hit righties....

You know I am surprised his name has not popped up in the steroids talk...Just sayin

mik3

fornicating madly
Could Mark Wohlers be reached for comment?

Too bad there isn't video of the accident, then you could dub in Joe Buck's audio calling Leyritz's homerun.

SurlyTruckDrivr

You've got a friend in WDTv2.0
Too bad there isn't video of the accident, then you could dub in Joe Buck's audio calling Leyritz's homerun.
I was thinking Susan Waldman ,"Goodness gracious, of all the dramatic things....Leyritz is smashed, someone's flying out of the car"

Darth Mode

You went over my helmet?!
Would this count as another "Celebrity Death" when the boys are off? I know the guy who was killed isn't a celeb, but the alleged killer is.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
can someone explain to me how the law works in this situation, i honestly do not know. i just want to know, how is he able to be placed under arrest, but at the same time able to refuse a breathalyser. you would think, they give them to you for the slightest infraction(some kind of motion violation) and suspicion, but you can refuse if you manage to hit someone, let alone seriously injure them?

im guessing they probably arrested him due to his refusal, but if they arrest you, can they just give you one anyway after being arrested?

Dopie Opie

I am not 100% sure but I believe that falls under the 5th ammemdment, self incrimination bullshit.

However, refusing to take one is basically considered and admission of guilt. Then while in jail, they can issue a supeona for a blood test.

I think, anyway

7cent

I am not 100% sure but I believe that falls under the 5th ammemdment, self incrimination bullshit.

However, refusing to take one is basically considered and admission of guilt. Then while in jail, they can issue a supeona for a blood test.

I think, anyway
that's what happened..they took his blood in jail

Yeah, I was thinking that the other driver must have been a lefty, since Leyritz can't hit righties....
Back to Back and a Belly to Belly :clap: :clap:

I give you two a unicorn and a hello kitty

MJMANDALAY

I think, anyway
Believe thats coorect

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
doesnt 11k seem a little low of a bond for manslaughter?

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
If he only would have worked with lil Jimmy, none of this would have happened

Perch1019

Any press is good press I guess. Nice plug for XM.

Leyritz stopped playing in 2000 but re-entered the spotlight in 2006 when he admitted in separate radio interviews that he took amphetamines and human growth hormone. Leyritz described during an interview on the “Opie & Anthony” show on XM Radio the events that led to the first time he took an amphetamine, saying that he had been out late the night before, drinking with some teammates.

jackjack

yes.. 10K is standard for most possession charges.. 11k for killing someone is ridiculous.
Bond has less to do with the severity of the charges than the probability the suspect will show up in court.

Charge severity plays a factor, but only in the way the judge feels the defendant will respond. Show up or flee. Bail isn't a punishment.
That's why a celebrity gets low bail for high crimes. There's nowhere to go.

7cent

Bond has less to do with the severity of the charges than the probability the suspect will show up in court.

Charge severity plays a factor, but only in the way the judge feels the defendant will respond. Show up or flee. Bail isn't a punishment.
That's why a celebrity gets low bail for high crimes. There's nowhere to go.

they just churn normal folk through a courtroom. The bail is determined by the crime. It's not like you have a lawyer present. You spend the day in the bullpen. they stand you in front of the judge, they read the charge and give a bail. then you go off to county.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Ooof. Killing a mother of three. He's fucked. True, she should have been wearing her seatbelt, but that's not going to help him too much since he should not have been driving drunk either.

I say he gets at least 5 years and is sued for every penny he's got by the husband.

Darth Mode

You went over my helmet?!
Fox 5 in New York just reported blood tests showed Leyritz was drunk. Something like twice the legal limit. He's fucked.