Jim Norton & his characters…

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Anyone else starting to worry that Jimmy & his obsession with doing characters (on the show and in real life) is starting take a turn into some kind of mental illness? He seems to break into them A LOT for no applicable reason; and the show guys/his friends seem to just put up with it.
Would you do that for a friend?
After a while I'd tell him to stop that shit.

Edit: I'm not "doesn't get the bit guy" and I DON'T hate Jimmy (I really love the lil' guy).
There; that will keep this from becoming a hater thread. ;)

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Great, you jinxed it. Now its going to become a hater thread.

I just think he is being silly on a comedy show. He loves making people uncomfortable so he does it when he is with his friends etc. I really doubt that its mental illness, he is just a weird, weird dude.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
I've met him, he is very friendly and approachable; but he's a fucking wierdo. If you start counting how often he does a character on air; he's approaching 20 or 30 times a show. How long until this goes from stupid little Jimmy tick into being as bad as those hack assholes who do ENTIRE shows in character? We're getting close.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
His Lordship James is merely polishing his fine acting chops.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
You mean like Fez? Yeah, I dont see him doing that.

Poon Slayer

Reissued Regret
Dec 11, 2009
Chattanoogy
He sucked another kid's peener and smelled a girl's pissy bottom as a young boy, and this is what worries you?

Mags

LDAR king
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Great, you jinxed it. Now its going to become a hater thread.

I just think he is being silly on a comedy show. He loves making people uncomfortable so he does it when he is with his friends etc. I really doubt that its mental illness, he is just a weird, weird dude.
Xactly.

Goddam h8tarz threads.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
He loves making people uncomfortable so he does it when he is with his friends etc.
That's all it is. Before uncomfortable characters, in the Cellar there was the knocking food onto the floor bit, the slamming the door to another room someone's talking from bit, various gay bathroom bits, etc. Those don't work too well on radio.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
stupid little Jimmy tick into being as bad as those hack assholes who do ENTIRE shows in character? We're getting close.
And there it is. Why didn't you just start with how you don't like his characters?

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
And there it is. Why didn't you just start with how you don't like his characters?
Nope. I thought they were funny the first 3 or 4 months he did it. I don't hate Jimmy AT ALL. I hope he comes to Cincy again; I'd love to see his new hour. I read his book, I follow him on twitter; I LOVE his comedy…

…I really wish he'd stop doing the characters now.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
…Which means he'll keep doing them now. FUCK!

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
I like his comedy but his characters make me laugh more.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
He just does them to DEATH! And now he seems to be doing them constantly… on-air off-air, to people who don't even KNOW the bit. I wonder if he does it when he's all alone; when there's NO friends or anyone else to play off of.
That's the mental illness I'm wondering about. Considering his pattern of obsessive compulsive behavior, I think it's a legit concern. I'm gonna hang up my stethoscope now.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
I just like the Sluglike Asshat. I dig his characters/comedy/stories. Only a select few people that I truly enjoy, and Norton is one of them.

So how about we all go kiss and make love instead.

(Always funny when he lobs that in at random)

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
I used to think he was funnier on O&A than on stage (both were still awesome); now his stand-up is some of the best around, and his on-air is not as good (my opinion). Monster Rain is one of the funniest hours ever; the hour he did last year (which I hope is his new special) is even better.

djeter220

User that is Registered.
May 17, 2007
I used to think he was funnier on O&A than on stage (both were still awesome); now his stand-up is some of the best around, and his on-air is not as good (my opinion). Monster Rain is one of the funniest hours ever; the hour he did last year (which I hope is his new special) is even better.
I think it's because the show has become more centered around rants, taking stances and making statements (why isn't anyone talking about this??), and that's his way of trying to break that rhythm. Not to say he doesn't like expressing opinions or having serious discussions, I just think he seems happiest when the show uses topics for comedic riffs (such as the Mimi Beardsley break the other day).

I think the characters are still hilarious, I think he still does them to be funny, but I also think he uses them to inject silliness into a discussion he doesnt feel like getting worked up over.

The Keeed

Nov 20, 2006
I'll agree that it's a little creepy how he's able to do the Chip "Wass dat?" anytime someone says the word chip and the Uncle Paul laugh when someone mentions kids. I'm amazed at how quick he is with that, he's clearly not gearing up for it before hand.

That said, I fucking love all of his characters except Ted for whatever reason and think they are great for the show. Chip still makes me laugh out loud almost every time.

djeter220

User that is Registered.
May 17, 2007
I'll agree that it's a little creepy how he's able to do the Chip "Wass dat?" anytime someone says the word chip and the Uncle Paul laugh when someone mentions kids. I'm amazed at how quick he is with that, he's clearly not gearing up for it before hand.

That said, I fucking love all of his characters except Ted for whatever reason and think they are great for the show. Chip still makes me laugh out loud almost every time.
The best part of them for me, and I think it's Jim's favorite part of the characters too, is the annoyance it brings those around him, as well as the way they infest peoples' minds

sillyfuck

Wackbag Uncle Tom
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago
Does anyone just see it as a way to make people laugh while talking about the news of the day.

Or maybe they should bring back themed days.

SpokaneFlyer

Jan 24, 2009
I am the opposite. Loved Ted. Chip just ruins everything and Uncle Paul is fucking creepy.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
I am the opposite. Loved Ted. Chip just ruins everything and Uncle Paul is fucking creepy.
You too?! I as well listen to everything show members say (no matter how much the repetition makes it sound like a bit), take them completely at face value, and formulate my opinion entirely on that.

Aug 12, 2005
PA
Does anyone just see it as a way to make people laugh while talking about the news of the day.

Or maybe they should bring back themed days.
Car Door Ajar Tuesdays were the best! Loved the Cat Meow day too. Forget which day that was though.