Jim norton stand up special

gator1010

Oct 13, 2011
Florida
Yimmy should sell his next special like louie and aziz. I know he says he doesnt have as much pull as them but i think thats false. Dude is the shit and lets be real the heart of the show. (nohomo)

Yes in the middle of ambien crash

Eat my balls

Dicktator

I need a Vacation
Feb 11, 2006
Michigan
Yimmy should sell his next special like louie and aziz. I know he says he doesnt have as much pull as them but i think thats false. Dude is the shit and lets be real the heart of the show. (nohomo)

Yes in the middle of ambien crash

Eat my balls
How exactly how did they sell their special. Please explain.

And the heart of the show? No way, The only thing I enjoy about Jimmy is his standup. He's a little angry fella, we get it.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I'm going to the taping of the special. I have two extra tickets if anyone wants them, let me know.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Yeah, as low as his self-esteem might be, in terms of "pull" he's still not in the same galaxy as Louie.
How exactly how did they sell their special. Please explain.

And the heart of the show? No way, The only thing I enjoy about Jimmy is his standup. He's a little angry fella, we get it.
Online digital.

And at least 80% of the fanbase would agree he's the 'heart of the show'. Sounds like it'd make for a good poll.

CaffeeDiva

Feb 14, 2012
Yeah, as low as his self-esteem might be, in terms of "pull" he's still not in the same galaxy as Louie.Online digital.

And at least 80% of the fanbase would agree he's the 'heart of the show'. Sounds like it'd make for a good poll.
At this point he's undoubtedly the best part of the show.

The difference between Jim and Louie CK is that Louie's as big as any comedian right now. Jimmy is not on the long list -- never mind the short list -- for the White House Correspondent's Dinner, and I'm talking purely based on mass appeal.

I'm not bashing Jimmy, but Louie is the exception as a comedian. If you look at the acts that are as famous as Louie is right now, they're much cleaner and more to the point they're on TV/Movies, and tend to do more sketch than straight-up comedy.

So Louie had the money, the patience, and the desire to build a site and take the risk himself of distributing. I'm not sure that Jimmy will and be so certain that he'd make all his money back. I don't know shit about numbers, and Jimmy's great and will sell well, but I'm just saying that there are huge costs in both filming on your own (which I think he is) and building a website to distribute from.

okterrificsk2

Oct 26, 2004
agree with jimmy being the heart/best part of the show these days. its not even close really. i skip shows when hes not there at this point. jimmy actually has fun doing the show.

Aug 11, 2005
Fuck Louie

Doe's he have a 5 day a week job?

Doe's he have a fanbase as big as Jimmy's?

fucks no

I love my jimmy

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I have nothing against Jimmy, but he does not have the pull of Louis or Aziz. And, while this shouldn't be the determining factor of fanbase, Louis has nearly ten times as many twitter followers as Jimmy.

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
Didn't he say he already had distribution deals with Epix & Comedy Central? Why would he go out of pocket if he can get guaranteed money up front, in addition to what he sells via CD, iTunes, etc?

Sep 23, 2004
I have nothing against Jimmy, but he does not have the pull of Louis or Aziz. And, while this shouldn't be the determining factor of fanbase, Louis has nearly ten times as many twitter followers as Jimmy.
Agreed. While it isn't the best metric to use, it's the most robust one.

gator1010

Oct 13, 2011
Florida
Didn't he say he already had distribution deals with Epix & Comedy Central? Why would he go out of pocket if he can get guaranteed money up front, in addition to what he sells via CD, iTunes, etc?
ya he did say he already had distribution deals but I just like the thought of a higher % of the cash i spend on his special goes into his pocket.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Picking a favorite between Louie and Jimmy is like picking a favorite of your children.

Jimmy by a mile because he fucks better

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Picking a favorite between Louie and Jimmy is like picking a favorite of your children.

Jimmy by a mile because he fucks better
Then it's good that I don't have children because Louis, no question.

DeadAnus

Nov 14, 2009
Jimmy deserves to be way more famous than he is...He pretty much single handedly changed the entire dynamic of the Opie and Anthony Show for the better. I've listened to a few 'pre Jimmy' shows and it was the worst....

CaffeeDiva

Feb 14, 2012
Jimmy deserves to be way more famous than he is...He pretty much single handedly changed the entire dynamic of the Opie and Anthony Show for the better. I've listened to a few 'pre Jimmy' shows and it was the worst....
His effect on O&A is only worth the amount of fans that O&A has, and I would assume that the large majority of fans at least enjoy Jimmy on the show. My point is, why should he be more famous if O&A aren't more famous?

As far as stand up goes, I do enjoy Louie over Jimmy but I am interested to see how his next special is. It's hard for his material not to seep through on O&A, so it takes the surprise out of some of his jokes. I know he says he brings all new material on the road, but in the Monster Rain special, the name-sake bit was covered ad nauseum 3 years before his 2007 special.

I'll put it this way, the few times that Louie's been on, he's brought up a lot of material that cam up over over multiple specials. There are jokes that he used in early O&A that are showing up on his show now or in newer specials. It's really fucking hard not to go to material if a subject comes up that you have great stuff on. At the end of the day it's just your own thoughts anyways, so even if you expound on them for a special or tag jokes, you're still handicapped in comparison to another comic who can start into a topic without the audience being aware of what angle he's going to take on the manner.

Jimmy's hands down the best on the radio though, and not just in the sense that it's better than his standup, I mean he is one of the funniest people in radio ever.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
His effect on O&A is only worth the amount of fans that O&A has, and I would assume that the large majority of fans at least enjoy Jimmy on the show. My point is, why should he be more famous if O&A aren't more famous?
Because he does a lot more than the radio show.

CaffeeDiva

Feb 14, 2012
Because he does a lot more than the radio show.
I was responding to the justification that he should be more famous because he's the heart and soul of the show. I think the show itself should be bigger, and Norton plays a large role in that. He's also great on Leno and has been on TV rather consistently over the past 8 years, starting with Tough Crowd, but his harsh comedy and views politically are a big reason he's not bigger, in my opinion.

Your point that he's done a lot of work outside of the radio show, added to his role within it, is of course a valid reason why he should be bigger

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I was responding to the justification that he should be more famous because he's the heart and soul of the show. I think the show itself should be bigger, and Norton plays a large role in that. He's also great on Leno and has been on TV rather consistently over the past 8 years, starting with Tough Crowd, but his harsh comedy and views politically are a big reason he's not bigger, in my opinion.

Your point that he's done a lot of work outside of the radio show, added to his role within it, is of course a valid reason why he should be bigger
How big do you think he should be? Because I do not think he should be Louis big.

paffa2

Jul 21, 2011
For me, Jim Norton is the best thing about Opie and Anthony.

Now, I haven't ever seen his stand-up, except a few clips on youtube that I genuinely enjoyed. So I am curious to know. Could someone who has seen his standup, take an objective stance on his standup comedy? If you are involved with arts/entertainment, I think you will understand where I am going, without being offended. If Norton is really good and working at his craft, and studying the shit out of comedy, then there is no reason he shouldn't be more popular and have a larger following. And we all know how hard Norton works. I'm with you guys, I'd love for Norton to be more popular. Even though he has carved a strong niche among us Opie and Anthony fans, and he is certainly successful at his craft.

I think we see that he wants more, he wants to be bigger and acknowledged, by more folks, but its just not going to happen without some changes. So it may seem to be a strange idea, but it explains the towering popularity of Louie and Aziz(and why they can self-publish) over Norton. Aziz has a smaller ego than norton, he's funny on TV and movies, he has a larger net than all of his peers now. Louie, as said above, is a director/producer/writer, and he's strong at all of them, he goes on Conan and has a brilliant observation about shit, it explodes online.

Now this may be generalizing, but OAJ generalize all day so why the fuck not. I have at least two friends who thought Jim was subpar, probably would have never cared about Norton otherwise. Until I introduced them to the Opie and Anthony show. They are both hardcore listeners now. When he goes on interviews or talk shows, that defense mechanism kicks in where he has to self-deprecate and talk about sexual encounters with transexuals. I don't think it's helping him get new fans. Anyway, nothing is stopping Norton from doing what Louie did, he should still do it.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I'll put more thought into it, but I'd put his stand-up below Louis, Burr, Patrice, and Jeffries but above Kelly and Vos.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
I'd put Bob Kelly over Notion, too. Just the Tip was one of the funniest CDs in years.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
His stand-up per se is mediocre for an O&A comic.

Mediocre means close to the 50th percentile. I get the feeling a lot of people - Jimmy in particular - don't know that, judging from how I hear them use it.

Anyway, 50th percentile of -And Friends puts him around the 98th percentile overall.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I'd put Bob Kelly over Notion, too. Just the Tip was one of the funniest CDs in years.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
Well then. Maybe I'll give it a listen.