Jimmy is being CENSORED!!

Mystic Pain

The few, The proud, The people that get the show
Jan 8, 2006
N. California
Looks like people are trying to have his book pulled from libraries. Not sure if the PAC would want to get behind this but there are numbers there we can call you complain. So, maybe you know someone that works in the library aaannnndddd, maybe you could call them let them know how you feel.

Library pulls book off shelves
Saturday, September 15, 2007

Michael Hamlett, director of the Jackson-George Regional Library System, plans to meet with one member of the Library Board before deciding the fate of a best-selling book by comedian Jim Norton, pulled from the shelves of the system's branches last month.

The book in question is "Happy Endings: The Tales of a Meaty-Breasted Zilch." While this isn't a book I would choose to read, I find the idea of books being removed from the libraries' shelves because of a patron's complaint offensive. The last book removed from the Jackson-George Regional Library Systems' shelves (that I know of) was "America" by Jon Stewart. It was only placed back on the shelves after numerous complaints from all over the nation.

Please support the right to read books, contact Rex Bridges-Public Relations for the Jackson George Regional Library System email pr@jgrls.org and phone (228) 769-3130 and Michael Hamlett, director of the Jackson-George Regional Library System, e-mail director@jgrls.org, phone (228) 769-3227 and let them know that books belong on library shelves; not pulled for review because a patron complains.

Fortunately, for more than 25 years, the American Library Association and the American Booksellers Foundation for Freedom of Expression, among others, have sponsored Banned Books Week to highlight the importance of the Freedom to Read. This year, Banned Books Week runs from Sept. 29 to Oct 6.

Sandra Alawine

Ocean Springs
Direct link to story - http://www.gulflive.com/opinion/mississippipress/index.ssf?/base/opinion/1189851431318930.xml

Stalker2

Jun 7, 2001
TRueWDTer
Quote:
"The last book removed from the Jackson-George Regional Library Systems' shelves (that I know of) was "America" by Jon Stewart. It was only placed back on the shelves after numerous complaints from all over the nation."

Might be pretty easy to get Jimmy`s book back on the shelf again.

kevtv

Resident Music Nerd
May 31, 2004
Sent my "nice" e-mail. It can get ugly
i hope you realize that a tirade laced with curses will get nothing accomplished and will make them realize that maybe they are making the right decision.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
sounds like we have some work to do.
Exactly this is why PISS exists.

gotta back our guys when dumbass ignorant fucks like thisdo something stupid. Im registering a few yahoo IDs to email this asshole so it looks like im actually from MS. We may also wanna find out who this guy answers to. Its probably a city council or something like that.

And also make sure to keep it clean. KevTV is right.

TEXAS TRUCKER

Yay! Sigs are back!
Jan 27, 2005
Jimmy will love the media attention this gives his book. Will CNN carry the story? (fat chance)

Damn you pests are fast....

Final-Recipient: RFC822; director@jgrls.org
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mail.jgrls.org
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: message refused
Last-Attempt-Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:05:01 -0400 (EDT)

Is thier lil ole mailbox full already?

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Here's an article about this from last month:

http://www.sunherald.com/201/story/131627.html

PASCAGOULA --The Jackson-George Regional Library system has pulled a best-selling book by comedian Jim Norton from the shelves of its branches until the library director completes a review of its contents.

Library system spokesman Rex Bridges said Thursday a complaint about the book came through the Ocean Springs Library. But he did not specify what the complaint was.

Norton's style of humor has been called raunchy. His book, entitled "Happy Endings: The Tales of a Meaty-Breasted Zilch," is a collection of personal essays.

"Anytime a patron has a concern, we will take a book and examine it and see if any action needs to be taken," Bridges said. "It's under review. The director is reviewing the book."

When asked if it was banned, he said, "That's not at all true."

He said a book is not considered banned unless the library governing board votes it so. He said this book has not come before the board.

It is not available, however, anywhere in the system at this time.

Bridges could not say Thursday when the book was pulled or how long it is likely to remain under review by Library System Director Michael Hamlett.

The library system, under different leadership, was the butt of jokes on national TV two years ago when it voted to ban "America (The Book)" because it had a picture of nine naked men and women with the heads of the U.S. Supreme Court pasted on top of them.

The system later reinstated that book.

Hamlett was unavailable for comment Thursday.

Bridges said some of the branches did not stock "Happy Endings," that each library branch manager is responsible for buying its collections based on the New York Times Best Seller list and other listings.

He said he did not know which branches had copies of the book.

"I don't know where it was, but all the copies are under review and have been taken out of circulation," he said. "I don't think it's a popular title. When we buy, we usually buy popular titles. This may have been on a reading list and purchased. "

However, the book is and has been on the New York Times Best Seller list.

When asked when there might be an update on the status of the book, Bridges said, "That I don't know."

Next month?

"Possibly," he said. "I don't know what the next procedure is to be. I won't know until an official announcement is made by the director or the board."

It sounds like Rex Bridges needs to be (politely) corrected. A month on the New York Times best-seller list, peaking at #4, is fucking popular.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
"Anytime a patron has a concern, we will take a book and examine it and [highlight]see if any action needs to be taken[/highlight]," Bridges said. "It's under review. The director is reviewing the book."
The only action that needs to be taken is this- if you don't like what you are reading, stop reading it.

The book begins with this:
Warning

If you are easily offended by humor, please fuck off and buy something else. Any e-mails not filled with praise and/or offers for a sloppy blowjob will be deleted.

Jim Norton
April, 2007​

That's a pretty good indication right there that the book may not be for you if you're easily offended. Not to mention the liner notes. I'm sick and fucking tired of people trying to decide what I should see and hear and read. I can make up my own mind.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
the fate of a best-selling book by comedian Jim Norton, pulled from the shelves of the system's branches last month.
I didn't notice anyone commenting on this. Happy Endings is now officially a "best selling book," that's cool.

[serious voice]What's not cool is book banning.[/serious voice]

Yeah I'm going to send my e-mails. Let's rally the troops because Books Are Good.

circpro

No Complaints here
Nov 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I didn't notice anyone commenting on this. Happy Endings is now officially a "best selling book," that's cool.
Where have you been sir? It was on the NYT Best Seller list in August which qualifies it as a Best Seller.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
Where have you been sir? It was on the NYT Best Seller list in August which qualifies it as a Best Seller.
I think Liddy was only saying that this is officially how one has to intro Jimmy's book, NYT Bestseller. or, we're both over-simplifying douches.

Im down for a constant email attack

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I think Liddy was only saying that this is officially how one has to into Jimmy's book, NYT Bestseller. or, we're both over-simplifying douches.

Im down for a constant email attack
Exactly. I knew he was on the list but now news articles about it have to call it a "best-selling book."

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
New York Times best selling author James Norton deserves better treatment than this.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
The New York Times best-selling author should call this library on the air Monday.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
email sent, unlike my posts here I made sure my spelling and grammer was up to par. Amoungst other things I mentioned that this book is obviously suited for adults and gives a warning to that just by the cover.......I also said that "you might wan't to read it's content," before making any kind of judgements. The truth is the book really isn't that vulger and these people are just running with a complaint by some parent who's kid came home with the book most likely...those same kids that can easilly turn on HBO, see and hear a lot worse, at least these people are reading,,,jeez

M

mobfan1

this sucks more than vos

Sep 13, 2005
New Jersey
someone submit this to digg and i'm sure we can get it on the front page

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
The New York Times best-selling author should call this library on the air Monday.
Jimmy started talking about something Thurdsay, I thought it was about his book. he was cut off and they went to something else. was it regarding this?

he said he hates getting stolen from, but never finished the thought. a live show probably wasnt the time to address this or something else like it.

20minorchange

wow, thats fucked up. too much PC in this world

Mystic Pain

The few, The proud, The people that get the show
Jan 8, 2006
N. California
Lets make Jimmy proud. If we put our minds too it we should be able to make Happy Endings mandatory reading in grade school

livebackwards

Proud Patron of Ted's Conglomerated Gasmaskery
Jan 29, 2006
Houston, TX
Whining, mincing nation of sandy-vagina'ed queens we've turned into. The Republicans want to censor shit for Jesus, the Democrats want to censor it for The Children. The Chinese are going to wade through our whinging asses like E-Rock through mayonnaise.