Oct 15, 2006
Ringwood, N.J.
Jimmy's book Banned-Brought Back

From a story in The Sun_herald Times.
"Disputed book available at Jackson-George libraries, if you ask
By KAREN NELSON
klnelson@sunherald.com

PASCAGOULA --
The Library Board for the Jackson-George Regional Library System voted 3 to 1 Tuesday night to make a best-selling book by comedian Jim Norton available to library patrons again upon request.

The book has been out of circulation since an Ocean Springs patron complained in August.

The Library System formed a review committee, which on Tuesday recommended the book again be made available to the public. It will not go back into general circulation.

Prior to the meeting, Library Board Chairman David Ables said the review committee tries to decide if a book is in keeping with the community's taste.

He said the libraries use the New York Times Best Seller List as a guide for purchasing books. But once or twice a year a book is challenged and is reviewed.

It is pulled from the shelves while under review.

Then it goes to the Library Board to decide what to do with it.

Before the meeting, Ables, who was on the review committee with the library system's director and several members of the library staff, said the genre of humor Norton used in the collection of essays was not a genre familiar to him.

"The only thing I could come up with is 'shock value,'

" Ables said. He compared it with something like the shock appeal of a horror movie.

David Ogborn, the lone vote against the board's decision, had stronger words for the book, "Happy Endings: The Tales of a Meaty-Breasted Zilch."

"That kind of garbage there, I don't think belongs in the library, " Ogborn said. "You can call it censorship or anything you want to but there's a difference in right and wrong and that's wrong."

The Library Board also voted to issue a news release.

"We certainly would like the press to portray us accurately," Ables said, "for the community to have an understanding about how we go about this process rather than being called book banners and censor mongers."

Library Director Michael Hamlett told the board that the Norton book had not been reviewed by publications that the library system subscribes to and that of the 9,207 public libraries in the U.S. only 278 own the book.

"That says something right there," Hamlett said. "In the past it has been our policy to automatically buy things off the New York Times Best Seller List. We have reviewed that and we have changed that procedure and will no longer automatically buy things until we have a closer look at them."

When discussing why, since August, Hamlett hasn't returned called from the media concerning the issue, Hamlett said, "I didn't want to chance being misquoted and chose not to respond."

How they voted
The Library Board voted to return a best-selling book by comedian Jim Norton to circulation with the designation "available upon request."

David Ables (Lucedale) - yes

Marjorie Albrycht (Ocean Springs) - yes

Orell Hedgepeth (Lucedale) - yes

David Ogborn (Hurley) - no

Three were absent.

David Ogborn=Asshat!

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Controversial Book Will Return To Jackson-George Library Shelves

Sep 26, 2007 10:19 AM EST

With one vote, "Happy Endings: The Tales of a Meaty-Breasted Zilch" escaped its fate of being banned from local library bookshelves.

"If we order a book, we feel like it should be made available to the public," David Abels, the director of the Jackson-George County Regional Library System Board, said.

Last month, an Ocean Springs Library patron was offended by Comedian Jim Norton's racy cover and allegedly raunchy essays. A complaint was filed, and the book was pulled from shelves.

Board member David Ogborn said it should stay there. He was the only board member to vote against reinstating the book.

"I'm a director of a library, not an adult book club. That garbage doesn't belong in a library," Ogborn said.

Pascagoula resident Thomas Black says that sounds like censorship.

"For the library in this day and time to pull any book from the shelves is just stupid, it's ridiculous," Black said.

The book will now get a second chance in the county libraries, but is causing change in the system's practices.

Most of the library branches automatically order all of the books on the New York Times Bestsellers list. At the time, Norton's book was on that list. Now the directors have changed that process, so it's up to the individual library to pick what books to order.

"We will now no longer buy things until we have a closer look at them," Library System Director Michael Hamlett said.

Black is glad that the library is trusting readers with the freedom to choose.

He says, "All books should be available to all people, no matter what your personal beliefs. That book should be available to everybody."

Now Black and anyone else can feel free to check it out.

There were only six copies of the book in the library system. Ironically, next week marks National Banned Books Week, sponsored by the American Library Association. It highlights works that have been banned or were threatened with removal.

http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=7128979&nav=menu40_3

Mystic Pain

The few, The proud, The people that get the show
Jan 8, 2006
N. California
:clap::clap:Good job baggers. I'm sure we had some say in this:clap::clap:

the far side

Jul 6, 2006
Brick NJ
I have read the book and oh boy did I lofffff. My opinion is it should be in the kiddies section

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I despise people who denigrate "art" because they don't understand it or wish to push their "moral" views upon everyone else.

Hope this toolbag who voted against it is busted at a gloryhole getting serviced by some hideously looking AIDS carrier.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
3 minutes :arrrh::arrrh::arrrh::arrrh::arrrh: