JJ Abrams apologizes for over use of Lens Flare

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/28911/j-j-abrams-is-sorry-about-the-lens-flare

J.J. Abrams Is Sorry About The Lens Flare

A lot of well-regarded major feature film directors have their own distinct quirks which can turn off some audiences to their work.
Paul Greengrass' constant use of shakycam, Zack Snyder's love
of slow motion, Tarantino's repetitive mix of pop culture monologues and excessive violence, the needlessly long runtimes of Peter Jackson and Judd Apatow movies, and Michael Bay's… well, you know.
Another filmmaker with his own distinct quirk is J.J. Abrams. While it wasn't noticed in "Mission: Impossible 3," since he took the helm of 2009's "Star Trek" he has come under criticism for one specific thing in his last three films - overuse of lens flare.

In an interview with Crave Online, Abrams says he's not only aware of the problem, he's taking steps to rectify it:
"I know I get a lot of grief for that. But I'll tell you, there are times when I'm working on a shot, I think, 'Oh this would be really cool... with a lens flare.' But I know it's too much, and I apologize.
I'm so aware of it now. I was showing my wife an early cut of 'Star Trek Into Darkness' and there was this one scene where she was literally like, 'I just can't see what's going on. I don't understand what that is.' I was like, 'Yeah, I went too nuts on this.'
This is how stupid it was... I actually had to use [special effects company] ILM to remove lens flare in a couple of shots, which is moronic. But I think admitting you're an addict is the first step towards recovery."

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
He's been talking about it for a while now. He even copped to it on O&A.

siliconsoul

Snarky Cunt
Aug 13, 2013
As someone with an astigmatism, his movies are unwatchable. I can never see what's going on, and I get a headache for my effort.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
The lens flair is the least of the problems with Trek.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
The lens flair is the least of the problems with Trek.
Off the top of my head, it ranks 3rd or 4th:

1) Star Trek fans
2) fan service
2B) Spock. This is really part of the fan service, but deserves it's own place on the list. Both old Spock and new Spock are a major problem.
3) lens flare
4) Star Trek fans who claim not to be, but act just like them anyway.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
4) Star Trek fans who claim not to be, but act just like them anyway.
I'd put number 4 as "Non-Star Trek fans who jizz themselves because someone screamed KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!"

I'm talking about you.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I'd put number 4 as "Non-Star Trek fans who jizz themselves because someone screamed KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!"

I'm talking about you.
I've been pretty consistent in my opinion that the khan scream was stupid, so I don't understand your post. I'll chalk it up to you being sore at me for roughing you up a bit in the Dark Man of Knight Steel thread.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I've been pretty consistent in my opinion that the khan scream was stupid, so I don't understand your post. I'll chalk it up to you being sore at me for roughing you up a bit in the Dark Man of Knight Steel thread.
You think you're roughing me up in the Dark Man of Knight Steel thread? I see it more as a gentle massage.

Dec 12, 2007
You think you're roughing me up in the Dark Man of Knight Steel thread? I see it more as a gentle massage.
Watch out Piggy, he's trying to position you in front of the radiation chamber.