Job headhunters.

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
I'm busting my ass looking for a job and I think I'm going to break down and hire a headhunter. Anyone have an experience with them? Do they work? Cost a lot? Anything you can pass along is appreciated.

And if you know any in the Raleigh, NC area, that'd just be super.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Personally, unless you like used car salesmen types I'd say no...unless you are looking for a huge paying job and have the cash to pay for a top of the line one like (15 grand or more),...it is a ripoff.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I was contacted by one a long time ago - like in the early 80's. How it was that he got my number I don't know since I hadn't registered with anyone. I do remember that the potential employer was going to pay the fee.

Would I use one again? No...there are plenty of ways of finding a job that don't cost as much. After I wasn't selected for the position, the headhunter had no time for me either.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Look on the internet...I have a pretty specific job...I found my current job online...looking for a new one

Goober

AKA Eqyptian Teabag the Friendly Arab
Sep 1, 2005
Washington, D.C.
I'm busting my ass looking for a job and I think I'm going to break down and hire a headhunter. Anyone have an experience with them? Do they work? Cost a lot? Anything you can pass along is appreciated.

And if you know any in the Raleigh, NC area, that'd just be super.
Depending on what your profession is, you may not even have to hire one. If your profession is in demand, the companies will hire the recruiters to find you. I get contacted at least once a week by recruiters and I do not even know how they find me. They have plenty of good opportunities, but I have passed on them all because I hate my profession and I have other plans. I have gone on several interviews to see what else is out there, but that has only reinforced my need for a exit strategy.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Depending on what your profession is, you may not even have to hire one. If your profession is in demand, the companies will hire the recruiters to find you. I get contacted at least once a week by recruiters and I do not even know how they find me. They have plenty of good opportunities, but I have passed on them all because I hate my profession and I have other plans. I have gone on several interviews to see what else is out there, but that has only reinforced my need for a exit strategy.
Yup.

I was a recruiter for an Engineering headhunting firm, and while I was there Civil Engineers were in such high demand we were making a fee of ~30% of the recruit's starting annual salary. (usually in the 100k/yr range, so 30k commission on one guy).

If you're in an industry where head hunters are an option, they should already have something in place where they work on contingency... Don't pay any money, the company that hires you should pick up the fee.

Goober

AKA Eqyptian Teabag the Friendly Arab
Sep 1, 2005
Washington, D.C.
Yup.

I was a recruiter for an Engineering headhunting firm, and while I was there Civil Engineers were in such high demand we were making a fee of ~30% of the recruit's starting annual salary. (usually in the 100k/yr range, so 30k commission on one guy).
Well fuck, no one offered me 100k..... but I am structural, only 25, and not eligible for the PE yet.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Engineers here in any form are all over the locality...my engineer friends say that Alaska, Washington, and sourcing out to Iraq or Afghanistan are the best places to look...100000 grand for 6 months as a pool lifeguard VS what an Engineer gets paid over there...do the math

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Well fuck, no one offered me 100k..... but I am structural, only 25, and not eligible for the PE yet.
Yeah, we pretty much only got job orders for EIT and above, with your average EIT placing at around 50-65, and PEs between 85-110ish.

There were JOs for your entry level CAD guys and shit, but 30% of 40k a year = not fucking worth my time.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
A little birdy told me that a few firms in the South Central Texas area were looking for PEs in the 95k+ range...

On a completely unrelated topic, anyone ever watch Malcolm in the Middle? Wasn't his last name Pirny? Man, that kid loved him some PBS&J sandwiches with a Black and Veatch topping.

Wow, that was a random stream of thought!

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
GaryIsaJoke, you should not have to pay a recruiter. Maybe other professions are different, but usually the hiring company pays the recruiter a commission, NOT the individual looking for a job.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
GaryIsaJoke, you should not have to pay a recruiter. Maybe other professions are different, but usually the hiring company pays the recruiter a commission, NOT the individual looking for a job.
Yep. Go to SEVERAL employment agencies. The agencies aren't there for you, they are there for the employers. You need to get your name out there in multiple places.

Also find 5+ websites to look for jobs online, apply directly. I have never waited around for an employment agency to find me a job, usually by the time they offer me a position I have already found one on my own. The agencies are kind of an emergency back up. 3 months later you get a call with a job offer. Pretty nice if you happen to hate your new job that you found on your own, and pretty nice if you happen to be having a hell of a time finding a job. But it depends on your industry.

And finally post your resume online multiple places. The more the better. Remember that most employers / recruiters will search by keywords and phrases. And for the love of god put an objective with a clear and direct statement such as "I am looking for an accounting position, preferably one that takes advantage of my 4 years as a managerial accountant." (notice I used both tenses of accounting) Don't use an abstract objective like "I want to find a position that allows me to grow." They want skills and experience and potential layed out plain as day.

I work for a resume database, I see bad resumes all the time.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
A buddy of mine got a job through a headhunter once. In the end, the company didn't want to pay the fee to the headhunter so he wasn't able to accept the job.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
Ditto what Voss' tumor has stated. I've had about 6 headhunters calling me at one time as well as looking on my own. Let the all look for you. The companies pay the fees. Get your resume on Monster and careerbuilder. Be specific in what your looking for. Go to companies websites that your interested in, lots of them have openings listed. Good luck.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Ditto what Voss' tumor has stated. I've had about 6 headhunters calling me at one time as well as looking on my own. Let the all look for you. The companies pay the fees. Get your resume on Monster and careerbuilder. Be specific in what your looking for. Go to companies websites that your interested in, lots of them have openings listed. Good luck.
Also, make sure you tell the recruiter not to submit your resume to anyone without your prior approval.

The reason is that if one of the companies finds you due to your own marketing (ie, Monster or CBer), and your recruiter has already submitted your resume to said company, the head hunting firm then has the power to go after the company for a fee if they hire you.

A lot of less than reputable firms actually use this as their standard business practice to try and strong arm a fee out of the companies, and sometimes even the prospect.

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
My industry (journalism) is not in demand and because the only way to get a job writing anywhere now is to go to a small town and write for a weekly... and if my past two gigs are any indication, that job probably won't last long. I'm trying to break into PR, marketing (not that door-to-door shit) and basically anything where my one skill (writing) and degree (communication-journalism) could get me in. I've been using the sites - all of the sites - and nothing's come of it. It's very frustrating.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
My industry (journalism) is not in demand and because the only way to get a job writing anywhere now is to go to a small town and write for a weekly... and if my past two gigs are any indication, that job probably won't last long. I'm trying to break into PR, marketing (not that door-to-door shit) and basically anything where my one skill (writing) and degree (communication-journalism) could get me in. I've been using the sites - all of the sites - and nothing's come of it. It's very frustrating.
Apply to be a pharmaceutical sales guy. A lot of the time all they require is a degree and a willingness to learn

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I was an office temp for like a year and a half. Temp work suited me just fine to be honest and if you're having trouble I recommend trying to find some agencies while you look for more permanent employment. A lot of temp agencies do look for temp-to-hire type people.

No temp agency I ever worked for required me to pay for their services.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
You could try being a teacher for a while until you get something you really like. Wake County is in dire need of teachers.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
No temp agency I ever worked for required me to pay for their services.
You get paid less working for temp agencies though. Unlike head hunting firms, they make their money on the spread between what you get paid versus what the company pays them by the hour for your services. So if the company's paying 25$ an hour for the job, chances are the Temp agency's only paying you 14 or so and keeping the difference.

Head hunters get one lump sum upon getting you hired.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
You get paid less working for temp agencies though. Unlike head hunting firms, they make their money on the spread between what you get paid versus what the company pays them by the hour for your services. So if the company's paying 25$ an hour for the job, chances are the Temp agency's only paying you 14 or so and keeping the difference.

Head hunters get one lump sum upon getting you hired.
I'm not saying only work for the temp agencies. I was just saying that while he's looking for work or waiting for a headhunter to come in, temping might be a good way for some money. It pays better than retail at least.

dodisman

Feb 20, 2005
in IT in CT its the Clients (Companys) not the Candidates that pay any sort of fee so i would do some research in your area...i have a few headhunter friends in medical, IT fields and its always the Companys that pay any sort of fee