Joe DeRosa and the tale of the 'lost funny.'

Blotto

Jun 2, 2012
He went from angry, a little bit unstable and very, very funny to being a tedious bore with shitty opinions on movies and music.

What happened?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I saw this one coming. Joe's identity is taken from all his comedian pals. After a while, it catches up with you. I speak from experience.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I still like him. I saw his special and thought it was great, but that's pretty old. I would like to see some of his recent comedy.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
What is Opie not steering the ship? Did he fall asleep at the helm? :trollol:

Blotto

Jun 2, 2012
I saw this one coming. Joe's identity is taken from all his comedian pals. After a while, it catches up with you. I speak from experience.
I think his comic persona is fine.

I just remember him being on fire across several appearances earlier this year, especially during the Bailey Jay Saga. But these last couple of appearances have been pretty bad , boring movie talk, like his weird rant on After O&A about how Terminator 2 is a complete piece of shit that doesn't hold up at all.

Jimmy gets old on occasion too, but at least he can back off his schtick and be a part of the conversation without killing the room.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I dont think he has changed at all. So he didnt like a movie, at least he didnt Norton it up and just repeat "IT FUCKING STIIIINKS".

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
Aug 24, 2012
I dont think he has changed at all. So he didnt like a movie, at least he didnt Norton it up and just repeat "IT FUCKING STIIIINKS".
That's one of my least favorite Jimmy things. That and when he starts talking fast you can hear him struggling for air haha. Once I noticed it I couldn't stop noticing it.

But on topic, I was just thinking the same thing during today's show. I used to really like Derosa's appearances on the show and I liked his one special I got. As time has gone on though, I've become really bored with him and his always sounding like he had a cold. I hope I come back around to liking Joe. I liked liking Joe.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Jimmy gets old on occasion too, but at least he can back off his schtick and be a part of the conversation without killing the room.
Yeah, those five minutes in between tranny dick references are sweet.

I didn't even know Joe has a "comic persona." Or if he does, it's not that much different than "actual guy. "

Blotto

Jun 2, 2012
I think the biggest need of the show is that they need some fresh blood (new comic regulars)

Burr and Jefferies live in LA and their appearances are few and far between.

Colin is a hermit who comes on once a year and Patrice is dead.

Bobby and Joe might just be getting overused.

Bringing Dan Soder and Amy Schumer into the fold is a step in the right direction, but they should be trying out new comics all the time.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Bringing Dan Soder and Amy Schumer into the fold is a step in the right direction, but they should be trying out new comics all the time.
Or maybe bring back Colin Kane, he worked out so well. :icon_roll

Just because someone is moderately funny on stage doesnt mean they will work on the radio. I have to think that a majority of the area comics would fucking stink on air.

Blotto

Jun 2, 2012

Just because someone is moderately funny on stage doesnt mean they will work on the radio. I have to think that a majority of the area comics would fucking stink on air.
Isn't that the point of a tryout? Colin Kane sucked so he's done.

There's so much dead air over the course of the year, bring people in for an hour here or there and if they suck move onto the next one.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
isn't that the point of a tryout? he sucked so he's done.

There's so much dead air over the course of the year, bring people in for an hour here or there and if they suck move onto the next one.
PM that to moegolden, he gets shit done.

God Loves Fags

A clear and dusty day in June
Feb 1, 2011
Brooklyn

Maybe if the show's talent booker wasn't a morbidly obese guy who can't speak and spends all his time following around shitty old Bruce Springsteen, they could find one of the fucking hundreds and hundreds of hungry young comics in the city to bring on.

Most funny stage comics wouldn't translate well to the air, it's true, but many of them have their own weekly podcasts where they bullshit with other local comics(I can think of like 10 off the top of my head), so they do have some kind of free form broadcasting experience.

espo222

Jul 4, 2010
Soder was good the other day, but once he gets comfortable he will try to overpower everyone with his 3 impressions that he does and it will get annoying very quickly-he did that to the YKWD podcast.

Blotto

Jun 2, 2012
Soder was good the other day, but once he gets comfortable he will try to overpower everyone with his 3 impressions that he does and it will get annoying very quickly-he did that to the YKWD podcast.
They should bring in Joe List.

He's the funniest one out of those comedians anyway.

phillybear

May 8, 2006
Love the YKWD podcast in it's present incarnation. Soder, Fastuca, and the rotating cast is even better than when DeRosa was on. I listen to a bunch of podcasts with comedians, and Bobby has put together the one that I most look forward to listening to.

Oct 16, 2008
Parma, OH
I haven't really listened to it since DeRosa left, but it seemed to me like Soder only forced the impressions because Bobby always pushed for them.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I haven't really listened to it since DeRosa left, but it seemed to me like Soder only forced the impressions because Bobby always pushed for them.
I agree. I really like Soder and his appearance on O&A only solidified it. He used to do radio, too.

Palaver

But Enough Of This
Jul 24, 2005
I can't complain because any 3rd mic is better than no 3rd mic.

DeRosa is fine. Any comic on O&A is complained about.

I remember when Jimmy shot Lucky Louie and Patrice took over for a while...all there was from fans was whining that he "laughed too loud" and "made everything about race."

justifyyourgarb

You drab South Bend cocksuckers are all the same.
Mar 15, 2007
They should bring in Joe List.

He's the funniest one out of those comedians anyway.
I was gonna start a thread about Joe List specifically. That dude is funny as fuck.

And I fucking love Derosa. The podcast with Kelly and Dan is great, but I'll always love Derosa.

Crooklyn Jigger

Feb 17, 2009
DeRosa is funny as hell and comes across as just a normal guy. Anyone putting on an act doesn't last long on radio (or shouldn't).

Vagpoop

Jay Mohr's Obsession
Sep 21, 2008
Been missing Tom Papa. He killed last 2 times on the show.