"John Adams" HBO mini series

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
yea i might catch that, i love history, i just wonder how historically correct it is. living near philly does have ist perks several battles were fought not far from my home. and there's all kinds of historical land marks around here

oh and 300year old cow paths that they turned into roads

PDX909

yea i might catch that, i love history, i just wonder how historically correct it is. living near philly does have ist perks several battles were fought not far from my home. and there's all kinds of historical land marks around here

you guys crack me up..... my parish church back home was built in 850 and was re-fortified in like 950 ,, you yanks have NO idea of history.. really... no disrepect but if it's older than 300 years you guys are fucking lost...

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
you guys crack me up..... my parish church back home was built in 850 and was re-fortified in like 950 ,, you yanks have NO idea of history.. really... no disrepect but if it's older than 300 years you guys don't fucking care...
Fixed that for ya. Anything older than the U.S. is just savagery.

:action-sm

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
you guys crack me up..... my parish church back home was built in 850 and was re-fortified in like 950 ,, you yanks have NO idea of history.. really... no disrepect but if it's older than 300 years you guys are fucking lost...

nope. because im an american, and that's who's history i care about.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever

Considering it's based on the Pulitzer Prize winning book by David McCullough I think it'll be pretty accurate.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Let's hope they don't go revisionist and throw in some claptrap.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Like Giamatti, like Linney (whose I also find hot), like the era. I'm definitely going to watch it even if I do end up waiting until it's complete.

I'm also excited because there has never been a decent Revolutionary War movie and I hope this will fill my long-felt desire for one.

Like Giamatti, like Linney (whose I also find hot), like the era. I'm definitely going to watch it even if I do end up waiting until it's complete.

I'm also excited because there has never been a decent Revolutionary War movie and I hope this will fill my long-felt desire for one.
Yeah, the Patriot was entertaining but by no means a great movie.

x2 on Laura Linney. She's real sexy for an older broad.

Yeah I'm definitely going to be watching. Oh x3 for wanting a good Revolutionary War era movie and finding Laura Linney sexy.

Jables2002

Breaking Down The 8th Wall
How many hours is it going to be? I might have to record it and then watch it all at once.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
Im not sure about the length of the episodes. According to my cable box info the first part is one hour but the second is an hour and a half. Theyre also both being shown back to back this Sunday.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Who the hell wants to go to a damp, moldy old church every Sunday and come out with some sort of respiratory infection? What are you people? Fucking hobbits? Tear that old shit down and build something civilized... and go to a dentist and get your teeth fixed while you're at it.

We Americans visit our museums... we don't live in them.

Europeans. :yuck2:

I spent a month in Ireland and Scotland... don't get me wrong... I had a great time, but damn... by the time I left I felt like I had moss and mushrooms growing on my body.

kidohio

im a history buff, saw the preview, and i gotta say it looks great

M

mapplewhite

How can this not be good with Paul Giamatti in it the guy is gold!

SuperGolfer

I got it from a negro

I'm waiting for the day that someone does for World War I what Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers did for WWII.

Good WWI movies you can list on one hand, and I can't remember when one was last made (especially a decent one).

All Quiet on the Western Front
Grand Illusion
Sergeant York
Paths of Glory
Blackadder Goes Forth

Yes, Blackadder. Even though it was a comedy, it nailed the whole stupidness, pointlessness, and absurdity that was WWI. And as mentioned in another thread, one of the best last episodes of any show ever.

LiddyRules

Good WWI movies you can list on one hand, and I can't remember when one was last made (especially a decent one).

All Quiet on the Western Front
Grand Illusion
Sergeant York
Paths of Glory
Blackadder Goes Forth

Yes, Blackadder. Even though it was a comedy, it nailed the whole stupidness, pointlessness, and absurdity that was WWI. And as mentioned in another thread, one of the best last episodes of any show ever.
It was probably me who mentioned Black Adder Goes Fourth. The scene where Captain Darling gets summoned gives me chills.

Also want to throw Johnny Got His Gun in there. But nice call on all the ones you mentioned. I love Paths of Glory and AQOTWF. Grand Illusion was brilliant. Other great films somewhat, even if somewhat loosely, connected to WW1 are Lawrence of Arabia, East of Eden and 12 Monkeys. Wings won the first Best Picture Oscar but I've never seen it.

I think WW1 is probably the creepiest war. Maybe it's because of the quality of the film stock but so much of the rare footage just seems like we're watching living people who are already dead. And imagining the claustrophobia of being in those trenches. For some reason creepiness and surreality affect me more in war movies (e.g. the start of M*A*S*H) than something like the D-Day scene in Saving Private Ryan.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, there aren't a lot of WW1 movies but the few there are are really fucking good. If you haven't seen the films Golfer mentioned, you really ought to.

SuperGolfer

I got it from a negro
It was probably me who mentioned Black Adder Goes Fourth. The scene where Captain Darling gets summoned gives me chills.

Also want to throw Johnny Got His Gun in there. But nice call on all the ones you mentioned. I love Paths of Glory and AQOTWF. Grand Illusion was brilliant. Other great films somewhat, even if somewhat loosely, connected to WW1 are Lawrence of Arabia, East of Eden and 12 Monkeys. Wings won the first Best Picture Oscar but I've never seen it.

I think WW1 is probably the creepiest war. Maybe it's because of the quality of the film stock but so much of the rare footage just seems like we're watching living people who are already dead. And imagining the claustrophobia of being in those trenches. For some reason creepiness and surreality affect me more in war movies (e.g. the start of M*A*S*H) than something like the D-Day scene in Saving Private Ryan.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, there aren't a lot of WW1 movies but the few there are are really fucking good. If you haven't seen the films Golfer mentioned, you really ought to.
I have to admit I was thinking purely along the lines of Western Front movies, and hadn't taken something like Lawrence of Arabia into consideration. I didn't put in The Fighting 69th with James Cagney either, but I was also just thinking of just real, REAL movies. "All Quiet..." might be one of the best war movies ever, and Grand Illusion is just one of the best movie movies, ever (I'm a Renoir fan, so I'm biased. even still...)

I think WWI is a forgotten war at this point, even though it was the most horrific thing men ever did to each other in history (up to that point). I mean, it was called "The War to End All Wars" (for 21 years, at least).

In a few years, the last remaining veterans of this war are going to die (there's like 10 worldwide, I think, and they're all over 100).

This war changed the world forever. It shouldn't be forgotten.

LiddyRules

In a few years, the last remaining veterans of this war are going to die (there's like 10 worldwide, I think, and they're all over 100).

Well this is going to be a bummer. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7292109.stm

France's final WWI veteran dies
Lazare Ponticelli celebrating his 110th birthday on 16 Dec 2007
Lazare Ponticelli celebrated his 110th birthday in December
France's last surviving veteran of World War One, Lazare Ponticelli, has died at the age of 110.

President Nicolas Sarkozy announced the death on Wednesday, paying tribute to the last "poilu", as French WWI veterans were known.

"Today, I express the nation's deep emotion and infinite sadness," he said.

Mr Ponticelli, originally Italian, had lied about his age in order to join the French Foreign Legion in August 1914,

aged 16, Mr Sarkozy said.

There are a handful of surviving WWI veterans from other countries, including British pilot Henry Allingham and Austro-Hungarian artillery man Franz Kunstler.

France's oldest surviving WWI veteran, Louis de Cazenave, died in January, also aged 110.

The last of Germany's veterans from the war died also died in January.

Day of remembrance

Mr Ponticelli was born on 7 December 1897 in Emilia Romagna, northern Italy.

He made his way, at the age of nine, to France to join his two brothers, and worked in Paris as a chimney sweep and paper boy.

Mr Sarkozy said there would be a national day of remembrance for France's war dead in the coming days as he marked Mr Ponticelli's death.

"I salute the Italian boy who came to Paris to earn his living and chose to become French, first in August 1914 when he lied about his age to sign up at 16 for the Foreign Legion to defend his adopted homeland," the French president said in a statement.

"Then a second time in 1921, when he decided to remain here for good."

Mr Ponticelli, who lived with his daughter in a southern suburb of Paris, had initially refused a government offer of a state funeral, the AFP news agency reported.

But he later decided to accept "in the name of all those who died, men and women", during WWI.

"Poilu", a word meaning hairy or tough, is the affectionate name given since Napoleonic times to French foot soldiers.

I have to admit I was thinking purely along the lines of Western Front movies, and hadn't taken something like Lawrence of Arabia into consideration. I didn't put in The Fighting 69th with James Cagney either, but I was also just thinking of just real, REAL movies. "All Quiet..." might be one of the best war movies ever, and Grand Illusion is just one of the best movie movies, ever (I'm a Renoir fan, so I'm biased. even still...)

I think WWI is a forgotten war at this point, even though it was the most horrific thing men ever did to each other in history (up to that point). I mean, it was called "The War to End All Wars" (for 21 years, at least).

I would love to ask one of the WW1 veterans after fighting in the trenches and all the horrors that came with it, in the "The War to End to All Wars". How they felt 21 years later, when WW2 broke out. The Military Channel runs a series from time to time about WW 1. Its like Liddy Rules said the footage does have this creepy feel to it.