John from Cincinatti

WonkaVision

To my Friends!!! To My Friends!!!
Allright, a new show from the creator of "Deadwood." I havn't had a chance to see the first episode yet, it aired last night after sopranos.

Anyone watch it?

Joe Avezzano

Al Bundy was awesome in it.

What's with the dad? Is he really levitating or just thinking he is? What's with John, or is that for us to find out as the episodes progress. He has on 50 bucks in his pockets, and then the next scene he has 3200. And, he's a surfing genius? Good enough to tune in next week I think.

Well it was more interesting than the Sopranos finally...I'm down for some more episodes. I think it has the most potential out of all the new shows coming on HBO (obviously they think so too from the spot it was given)

i wanted to watch it, but i was too into that ending of sopranos i couldnt pay attention to was going on in it...

highway23

I miss NY wings
I recorded it...haven't watched it

I only saw about 2 min of it and just said "What the fuck?"

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
I would say he is really levitating, since Butchy saw him do it in the police station. Of course, Butchy was pretty high at the time, so maybe they were both hallucinating? I thought the John character was pretty annoying, as well as the lotto winner guy. I'll probably check it out again.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Had it on too but didn't really pay attention, all I heard was some annoying douche saying fuck every 2 seconds.

It's pretty strange, I really have no clue where it's going, and don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing.

I saw the pilot back in October, and it's changed a lot since then. The strange gay guy who buys the hotel was a much bigger part, and there was actually less of John.

I'd really just like it if it focused on the Yosts. Anyone who knows about surfing, knows they are based on the Fletchers. Christian Fletcher, changed surfing, he was the first to bring over all the skateboard aerial moves. His dad founded a surf company called Astrodeck, that makes a type of grip tape for surfboards. And the kid in the show is actually played by Greyson Fletcher, Christian's son.

I have friends who live in San Clemente where the Fletchers live, and supposedly they are just like this, a complete mess. So they'll probably have a ton of source material to pull storylines from. As for the levitating and John, who knows if it will make it any good.

ol' Cabey leg

As in Ol' (Darryl) Cabey leg
I thought it was ok, a little confusing. In Entertainment Weekly they reviewed the show and said that the levatating and the reason John is so strange will be explained more next week. So I will check it out again and then form more of an opinion.

PartyRockCoat

Listen to me, Martin.
FUCKING TERRIBLE. Overracted, poorly written, way too "different" for its own goood. To me, this is HBO's attempt at making a mature Lost. Only Lost is good.

My favorite shittycuntfuck line: "Someone call an ambulance 'cause John Monad just put that wave in the I.C.U.!"

UCH!

WonkaVision

I finally saw it, and I must say I liked it. Trying to really figure it out, but Im giving the writer the benefit of the doubt. I figure John is either an angel or an alien...not sure, but something supernatural.

Joe Avezzano

John may not be magical, just like a surfing rain man. Plot outline from IMDB:

IMDB said:
In Imperial Beach, California, the dysfunctional Yost family intersects with two new arrivals to the community: a dim-but-wealthy surfing enthusiast (Nichols) and man spurned by the Yosts years ago.
There's only 6 episodes listed on IMDB, so it might not last long.

The best lines were shouted from Ed O'Neill's character as he's driving the truck slowly and people are honking:
"Up your nose with a rubber hose....Go fuck yourself!!" I got a good lol out of that.

I feel Hbo trys to hard to be artsy and all that crap now, i mean six feet under was good but this looks like some indy crap. Rome was great, why couldn't that go on.

Bill

Rome was great, why couldn't that go on.
Because it was insanely expensive to produce. The only reason that it was able to be made in the first place was that it was produced in partnership with the BBC. It was still too expensive.

WonkaVision

I'm still praying for Carnival Season 3, and a deadwood Finale.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
I'm digging it, actually been looking forward to this show. For sure there is something supernatural going on, "John" keeps pulling out the EXACT amount of money that is needed at the moment...levitation, etc.

I do know that his name is NOT John and he's NOT from Cincinatti. My first thought was "J" from "C" means Jesus Christ....dunno.

I also read that the first couple of weeks don't give much but the show starts picking up after that (you're not in the dark and have a better idea of what's going on).

I'll be sticking around for sure.

Suicidebree

Two, Zero, Two Infantry
Ed Oniel's character is pretty good and he really is a great actor. I have no opinion on the show till I see another episode or two. I didnt think the writing was bad and the acting seems pretty good so far so I'm not sure what a previous poster was saying.

"Mitch Yost should get back in the game."

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
In response in this thread, I'm not getting this program after a few views. I'm punching out but if people like it I hope it continues for them.

I'm also fucking praying for Carnivale to continue someday, especially given what they said they were going to do with it if it had continued. Fucking HBO.

seems very David Lynchian, i'm definitely going to continue to illegally download the episodes

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
I LOVED Deadwood, used to be the best show on television, if they ever do the film finale thing, I'll be happy, but I doubt it.

And, also, I really though John from Cincinnati had potential, it had great writing, and a pretty interesting plotline, I'll defiantly give it a shot.

WonkaVision

In response in this thread, I'm not getting this program after a few views. I'm punching out but if people like it I hope it continues for them.

I'm also fucking praying for Carnivale to continue someday, especially given what they said they were going to do with it if it had continued. Fucking HBO.
What was the plot line for Season 3? I'm trying to find it online..but have no idea. I've heard they may release a book which would wrap the series up.

There's only 6 episodes listed on IMDB, so it might not last long.
I'm pretty sure there's 13 episodes this season.

I remember it got picked up right around Halloween, and it seems like they've been filming since not long after that. And they have 2-3 more weeks left.

IMDB probably hasn't been updated because those episodes aren't completely finished yet.