John Mellencamp tells McCain to stop using his songs

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Just goes to show you how the candidates think how dumb their electorate is. Not quite as weird as having the Dixie Chicks play at a Bush rally, but here it is (See if you can tell it the author is Dem or Rep based on his editorializing :rolleyes:):

McCain is using two John Mellencamp songs at his rallies, "Our Country" and "Pink Houses." Mellencamp has asked McCain to stop, having never given permission. In other words, they violated Mellencamp's intellectual property. More stupid, the songs are critical and ironic concerning Republican ideals. Shades of Reagan and Springsteen, eh?

Ronald Reagan is realtively infamous for having to be called by a rock star to cease and desist. Reagan's people (supposedly spurred on by a clueless George Will) used Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" as a campaign theme song in 1984 until Springsteen's people asked them to stop. I'm not sure any of Reagan's people understood the ironies of the use of that song, which is about the sourness the Vietnam adventure left in the soul of the working man of America. Yeah, it talks about how working stiffs got screwed by folks like Reagan, who supported that role.

Heck, even John McCain is featuring Reagan's support of the war in Vietnam in his ads. He's also using theme music, and he's also had the artist who recorded the music call and ask him to stop. McCain is using John Mellencamp's "Our Country" and "Pink Houses," also without permission. As it is noted in the Rolling Stone, if only they'd listened to the lyrics, they'd not have made this mistake.

Come on, the Radical Religious Right-wing Christian Clerics are not going to go for lyrics focused on keeping science in the classroom and helping out the poor! From Cowboylyrics.com:

There's room enough here

For science to live

And there's room enough here

For religion to forgive

And try to understand

All the people of this land

This is our country

From the east coast

To the west coast

Down the Dixie Highway

Back home

This is our country

That poverty could be

Just another ugly thing

And bigotry would be

Seen only as obscene

And the ones that run this land

Help the poor and common man

This is our country

Of course, that assumes the McCain people and those radical religious right leaders can understand the printed and sung word. I'm thinking they'd have a harder time figuring out the ironic stance Mellencamp takes towards the American Dream in "Pink Houses." Lyrics again provided by cowboylyrics.com:

Well, there's people and more people

What do they know, know, know

Go to work in some high rise

And vacation down at the Gulf of Mexico

Ooh, yeah

And there's winners and there's losers

But they ain't no big deal

'Cause the simple man, baby

Pays for thrills

The bills the pills that kill

OK, maybe they just need to go to Rush Limbaugh to figure out some of those ironies.

McCain is running on a Reaganesque platform. He's claiming he learned his conservatism and was inspired by Reagan while he was a prisoner in Vietnam. In this case, sure he's following the tradition of Reagan whose people were so incompetent they didn't even listen to the Springsteen lyrics before foisting them off on the American people. To those of us who were progressives at the time, this sealed the notion that Reagan and his people were barely above the level of snake oil salesmen. McCain and his people so incompetent they can't ghet the message of Mellencamp's songs? Incompetence shouldn't surprise us at all given the last seven years of Republican incompetence.

By the way, whatever happened to the "ownership society" the Republicans so often tout? I know that housing bubble they mismanaged is putting the lie to the "ownership society" ideals, but shouldn't they be respecting Mellencamp's ownersip of these songs?

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Well Mellencamp doesn't have a fucking say in the matter if McCain's campaign paid for their public performance license.

He's just a fucking liberal that doesn't want anyone to play his songs if they don't agree with him policitally.

If Mellencamp doesn't own the masters of his songs (hardly ANYONE does) then whomever does own the masters can publish the music and let people perform it all they want.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Scary thing is that McCain is almost as liberal as Mellencamp. If he didn't have an (R) behind his name, ol' Johnny boy wouldn't pay any of this any mind.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Well Mellencamp doesn't have a fucking say in the matter if McCain's campaign paid for their public performance license.

He's just a fucking liberal that doesn't want anyone to play his songs if they don't agree with him policitally.

If Mellencamp doesn't own the masters of his songs (hardly ANYONE does) then whomever does own the masters can publish the music and let people perform it all they want.
To be fair, Mellencamp is an artist, and the important thing to him isn't the business ethics or the money. I mean, these guys argue creative control more than financial gain at every step of their career. If something McCain says is so offensive to him that he refuses to allow him to use his art to promote ideas that the artist doesn't agree with, it really should be the artist's call.

Of course, he should have to give the McCain camp a refund to satisfy the business ethics side of the argument as well.

Jan 3, 2006
In Fleas Mom's Box
It's his songs. It's the same as Lars not wanting Metallica's music to be downloaded illegally. Same dead. If he wrote the songs, then he has the right to distribute them to whomever he wants to. And if he wants to deny a political candidate the right to use a song in their campaign then so be it. Nuff' Said.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
It's the same as Lars not wanting Metallica's music to be downloaded illegally.
No, it's not the same as illegally downloading a song. When you have commercials and public gatherings you pay for a performance license for songs from people that own the publishing rights of songs, such as BMI.

If they purchase the license then they have the right to play the song they want. If Mellencamp wants exclusive rights then he should have said in his record deal that he's to own the master copies of his songs (rights) or he should buy all of the rights back now that he has money.

If he's an artist then he shouldn't charge people like $80 a ticket to see him in concert.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
It's his songs. It's the same as Lars not wanting Metallica's music to be downloaded illegally. Same dead. If he wrote the songs, then he has the right to distribute them to whomever he wants to. And if he wants to deny a political candidate the right to use a song in their campaign then so be it. Nuff' Said.
I respectfully request you stay off of my side of any argument. It makes my good points seem stupid by association.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
No, it's not the same as illegally downloading a song. When you have commercials and public gatherings you pay for a performance license for songs from people that own the publishing rights of songs, such as BMI.

If they purchase the license then they have the right to play the song they want. If Mellencamp wants exclusive rights then he should have said in his record deal that he's to own the master copies of his songs (rights) or he should buy all of the rights back now that he has money.

If he's an artist then he shouldn't charge people like $80 a ticket to see him in concert.
I didn't say he was a starving artist, but considering his motivations are centered around making music, and Record Labels are notoriously corrupt when it comes to ripping artists off, is it really that out of line for an artist to say, "You know, normally I don't care when my shit's used to sell Chevy's in the Midwest or lead into a televised football game, but I'm going to have to object to this ass hole trying to use my art in some way to get him elected as my leader."

I mean, you'd be pretty pissed if you found out that one of your best customers was buying your firearms and shipping them to Afganistanian militants, even though they gave you money.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I mean, you'd be pretty pissed if you found out that one of your best customers was buying your firearms and shipping them to Afganistanian militants, even though they gave you money.
Not really. I wouldn't care. I wouldn't be doing anything bad. It's all on that other person. Plus the weapons here suck compared to what they can get outside of the U.S. They get AK-47s and we get GAY-K-47s that are semi-auto.:action-sm

And all the armed people in Afghanistan aren't bad folks. They are just poor herders and farmers trying to live their life and they are just caught in the middle of a bunch of lunatics.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Not really. I wouldn't care. I wouldn't be doing anything bad. It's all on that other person. :action-sm

And all the armed people in Afghanistan aren't bad folks. They are just poor herders and farmers trying to live their life and they are just caught in the middle of a bunch of lunatics.
Haha, it's Mr. "Intentionally ignores the point" Guy! Good character man! :action-sm

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
I did a little reasearch on McCain..his military past....Naval Aviation sort of hits home for me..lol

It is very true he had an Admiral as a father...(this will be evident in a minute).

McCain graduated fourth from the bottom in the Naval academy. Fourth from the bottom but somehow he was still accepted into flight school. I have never, ever heard of this. Flight school is very difficult to get into, especially if you almost rocked out of the academy. He took the spot of a qualified student but it was ok...He crashed 5 birds...5 and was still allowed to keep his wings. (his father had everything to do with this). Yes, he eventually was downed and was a POW. Him being a pow was horrible, but he shouldn't have been flying over Nam in the first place. I cant give you the exact number of flying hours he had, (Ithink it was something like 30.)
He used his father to get him in that cockpit. I guess it wouldn't have been so bad if he was a good pilot...he sucked!

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I did a little reasearch on McCain..his military past....Naval Aviation sort of hits home for me..lol

It is very true he had an Admiral as a father...(this will be evident in a minute).

McCain graduated fourth from the bottom in the Naval academy. Fourth from the bottom but somhow he was still accepted into flight school. He took the spot of a qualified student but it was ok...He crashed 5 birds...5 and was still allowed to keep his wings. (his father had everything to do with this). Yes, he eventually was downed and was a POW. I cant bgive you the exact number of flying hours he had, (Ithink it was something like 30)Him being a pow was horrible, but he shouldnt have been flying over Nam in the first place.
He used his father to get him in that cockpit. I guess it wouldnt have been so bad if he was a good pilot...he sucked!
I choose to ignore everything you just said because John Mellencamp isn't a rapper, therefore everything you just said is obviously wrong. :action-sm

Okay, I looked it up. He graduated flight school in 1960 and was shot down in Oct. 1967. There is no mention of his total flight hours, but it appears that he was shot down by a SAM on his 23rd bombing mission over Vietnam, during operation Rolling Thunder. I'm going to have to guess that he racked up more than 30hrs of flight time in 9 years as a Naval Aviator.

Now I grant you that someone that low in their class should never have been assigned a flight school slot without daddy's help, but considering that a third of the pilots on the Oriskany were killed or captured in 1967, it seems as though flying attack planes over enemy targets was a rather risky proposition. His being shot down is not evidence that he was a shitty pilot.

BTW, wiki sez he graduated 6th from the bottom at USNA, not 4th. A small detail, I know.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Okay, I looked it up. He graduated flight school in 1960 and was shot down in Oct. 1967. There is no mention of his total flight hours, but it appears that he was shot down by a SAM on his 23rd bombing mission over Vietnam, during operation Rolling Thunder. I'm going to have to guess that he racked up more than 30hrs of flight time in 9 years as a Naval Aviator.

Now I grant you that someone that low in their class should never have been assigned a flight school slot without daddy's help, but considering that a third of the pilots on the Oriskany were killed or captured in 1967, it seems as though flying attack planes over enemy targets was a rather risky proposition. His being shot down is not evidence that he was a shitty pilot.

BTW, wiki sez he graduated 6th from the bottom at USNA, not 4th. A small detail, I know.
In case you haven't noticed Zona's MO is to over-dramatize his points by adding hear-say bullshit. If you approach his posts with that in mind, you'll want to destroy him and innocent woodland creatures less.