Movie Joker Origin Movie Greenlit at WB with Joaquin Phoenix Starring

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Honestly, he's probably the only actor alive I think could play the role well, but I have zero faith in WB's ability to put together a good flick.

Joaquin Phoenix's Joker Origin Movie a Go at Warner Bros.

Joaquin Phoenix recently finalized his deal to star as the arch-nemesis of Batman and shooting is set to begin in September in New York.

Todd Phillips is directing the film and co-wrote the script, which the studio describes as being an “exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.” Scott Silver co-wrote the script.

Warners has yet to stake out a release date for the film, which goes against the grain of most comic book movies that have flags planted years in advance. But the Joker stand-alone pic is meant to be different from other comic book superhero movies.

The project's budget is in the $55 million range, significantly lower than the tentpoles that dominate the form. And the stand-alone is meant to be darker and more experimental in tone and content (at least as experimental as a studio can be with established brands such as DC), which is described as being akin to a crime drama.

That said, there is a chance that the movie could be ready for release as early as late 2019, depending on various factors.

Warners has a possible second Joker movie in the works as Jared Leto, who played the character in Suicide Squad, now has his own solo film project in development.

Emma Tillinger Koskoff (The Wolf of Wall Street) is producer on the Joker origin stand-alone, while Richard Baratta is an executive producer.

Phoenix, who won a best actor award at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival for Lynne Ramsey’s You Were Never Really Here, next stars in Gus Van Sant's Don’t Worry He Won’t Get Far on Foot, which opens Friday.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Honestly, he's probably the only actor alive I think could play the role well, but I have zero faith in WB's ability to put together a good flick.

Joaquin Phoenix's Joker Origin Movie a Go at Warner Bros.

Joaquin Phoenix recently finalized his deal to star as the arch-nemesis of Batman and shooting is set to begin in September in New York.

Todd Phillips is directing the film and co-wrote the script, which the studio describes as being an “exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.” Scott Silver co-wrote the script.

Warners has yet to stake out a release date for the film, which goes against the grain of most comic book movies that have flags planted years in advance. But the Joker stand-alone pic is meant to be different from other comic book superhero movies.

The project's budget is in the $55 million range, significantly lower than the tentpoles that dominate the form. And the stand-alone is meant to be darker and more experimental in tone and content (at least as experimental as a studio can be with established brands such as DC), which is described as being akin to a crime drama.

That said, there is a chance that the movie could be ready for release as early as late 2019, depending on various factors.

Warners has a possible second Joker movie in the works as Jared Leto, who played the character in Suicide Squad, now has his own solo film project in development.

Emma Tillinger Koskoff (The Wolf of Wall Street) is producer on the Joker origin stand-alone, while Richard Baratta is an executive producer.

Phoenix, who won a best actor award at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival for Lynne Ramsey’s You Were Never Really Here, next stars in Gus Van Sant's Don’t Worry He Won’t Get Far on Foot, which opens Friday.
I still don't believe that this is a real thing, but if it is real, I'm at least tentatively curious about it. I have no idea what to make of this other I really trust Phoenix as an actor. Have you seen YWNRH yet? It's my favorite movie of 2018, and this has been an outstanding year for movies.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I still don't believe that this is a real thing, but if it is real, I'm at least tentatively curious about it. I have no idea what to make of this other I really trust Phoenix as an actor. Have you seen YWNRH yet? It's my favorite movie of 2018, and this has been an outstanding year for movies.
I haven't but it just got bumped to the top of my list. I watched a bit of Inherent Vice a few weeks ago and was really into his character in that too (had to turn it off and haven't finished it yet).

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
You want newly raised hammocks?

Young wild newlyweds rage heavy?

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Harley Quinn is an OS.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Honestly, he's probably the only actor alive I think could play the role well
Joker is a very easy character to play. Even Leto’s Joker was fine. Phoenix could play it well, but so can just about anyone. This is beneath him.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
There is a very real chance when we do this, I'll end up dropping out halfway through to watch Hubcap Murder Frisbee on a loop.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
Joker is a very easy character to play. Even Leto’s Joker was fine. Phoenix could play it well, but so can just about anyone. This is beneath him.
I've always thought this too. Some are better than others but really, who's ever turned in bad Joker performance in an at least somewhat legitimate Batman production.

The fact that they're apparently going relatively low budget with this seems refreshing. Will have to survive more on story and performances than CG spectacle and action sequences.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I've always thought this too. Some are better than others but really, who's ever turned in bad Joker performance in an at least somewhat legitimate Batman production.

The fact that they're apparently going relatively low budget with this seems refreshing. Will have to survive more on story and performances than CG spectacle and action sequences.
I think it will be a decent enough movie as long as you don’t think of it as a Joker movie set in the DC comics Batman universe. Phoenix playing a comedian who slowly turns into a homicidal maniac sounds like an interesting movie on its own merit. Borrowing the Joker name to generate some extra money from folks is ok I guess as long as they don’t try to stuff it full of comic references.

It’s a tough line to navigate because if you call it Joker some people will want or expect those references, but they woukd really hurt a movie like this.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I agree, but he's not playing Joker. He's playing Vos.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I think it will be a decent enough movie as long as you don’t think of it as a Joker movie set in the DC comics Batman universe. Phoenix playing a comedian who slowly turns into a homicidal maniac sounds like an interesting movie on its own merit. Borrowing the Joker name to generate some extra money from folks is ok I guess as long as they don’t try to stuff it full of comic references.

It’s a tough line to navigate because if you call it Joker some people will want or expect those references, but they woukd really hurt a movie like this.
I'm interested in this also to see what it means for DC movies as a whole. If this hits, it might make way for weirder movies now that they've realized their cinematic universe is a dud.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I'm interested in this also to see what it means for DC movies as a whole. If this hits, it might make way for weirder movies now that they've realized their cinematic universe is a dud.
Regardless of their quality, all of the DCEU movies have "felt" the same. Dour and dingy and ending with a CGI mess. If you break them down into their simplest terms most of the Marvel movies do the same (Ragnarok, Infinity War, and Black Panther are definitely examples of this), but they change the tone and color palettes and mix in enough movies like Ant Man and Homecoming to break things up a bit.

So if WB can't figure out a way to have merge different tones into their cinematic universe, I guess telling self contained stories is an alternative, but I don't think it's going to work out for them. After all, what is this Joker movie going to be? Dour and dingy. Theoretically at least he won't fight a giant blue laser at the end, but aside from that, where's the real difference? Especially if they feel the need to clutter it with references.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Regardless of their quality, all of the DCEU movies have "felt" the same. Dour and dingy and ending with a CGI mess. If you break them down into their simplest terms most of the Marvel movies do the same (Ragnarok, Infinity War, and Black Panther are definitely examples of this), but they change the tone and color palettes and mix in enough movies like Ant Man and Homecoming to break things up a bit.

So if WB can't figure out a way to have merge different tones into their cinematic universe, I guess telling self contained stories is an alternative, but I don't think it's going to work out for them. After all, what is this Joker movie going to be? Dour and dingy. Theoretically at least he won't fight a giant blue laser at the end, but aside from that, where's the real difference? Especially if they feel the need to clutter it with references.
I see it closer to the Nolan Batman movies than what they've given us before in the DCEU. The TDK movies are dark, but not dingy. The DCEU movies have an unsettling look because of whatever palette/filter combo Snyder mandated whereas the Nolan movies look like actual movies. You make this more a crime drama than Blue Lasers, and it's definitely different than the Snyderverse films.

TO CLARIFY - I'm not saying to make this like a Nolan movie, but there are different types of dark aesthetics as my Nolan example hopefully proved.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Nah, Joker has talent.
Hickory dickory dock, somehow I'm the fourth or fifth top billed person in A Star Is Born.

(I saw that Dice was one of the top names in the SiB trailer. That's weird, right? I presume he's the Rodney to Gaga's Mallory.)

Last edited:

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I haven't but it just got bumped to the top of my list. I watched a bit of Inherent Vice a few weeks ago and was really into his character in that too (had to turn it off and haven't finished it yet).
Another movie to check out is American Animals. Really strong crime tale. Evan Peters is quite good.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
There is part of me that hopes this isn't true, but a bigger part of me that hopes it is:

http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/07/exclusive-new-details-dcs-joker-origin-story/

EXCLUSIVE: Details Surrounding Joaquin Phoenix’s ‘JOKER’ Real Name & Family Revealed
Charles Murphy July 20, 2018 Comic Book Films No Comments

Jack Napier. The only name the fans of the comics and films have ever given to the Joker before he became the Clown Prince of Crime. With Todd Phillips taking on the daunting task of creating what will be seen by many as THE origin story of Batman’s other half, he had a choice to make and he chose the road less traveled. Phillips’ film, which doesn’t appear to have much in common with any source material or anything that came before it will not only define the origins of perhaps the greatest comic book villain, but it will also give him a new name and, perhaps, a new identity.

We have learned that Joaquin Phoenix’s character will begin the film as Arthur Fleck before the series of events that drives him to become the Joker. As we told you before, Phillips’ film will follow Fleck as he returns to a city on the brink. We believe that Fleck will return home to live with his aging (perhaps dying?) mother, Penny, in her apartment. It’s here that he’ll likely meet Sophie Dumond, the single-mother set to be played by Zazie Beetz, and begin his descent into madness described as the “exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.” Most comic fans have wondered about the Joker’s origins, specifically about what would drive a man to the depths of insanity where the Joker lives. It’s possible that this film gives us those answers.

Interestingly enough, a recent report indicated that Robert DeNiro, whose potential role in the film we first told you about here, had joined the film. If true, we can confirm that DeNiro will portray the role of late night-TV host Murray Franklin. We also know that Thomas Wayne will featured in the film, described as “cheesy, tanned” and rich-looking (remember this is from the Joker’s POV), and that he will be in his 60s. Could Thomas Wayne’s bastard become Bruce’s lifelong enemy?

Fleck’s mother was described as “very attractive in her youth“, “obsessed with her former employer” and unable to believe “this is what her life has come to.” Could Phillips’ origin story be setting the stage for a deeper connection between Bruce and the Joker than we could have ever imagined? While it’s just a theory, and a crazy one at that, it’s possible that Penny once worked for the Waynes and that Thomas is the father of her son. Perhaps an interview with Wayne on the Murray Franklin show incites the dying Penny to spin the tale of her son’s true parentage. Again, that’s JUST A THEORY. For all we know Franklin could be his father or his father could be another character who is irrelevant to the story, but we do know that the confluence of events of him returning home to a failing city will drive him to madness and those events might do just that.

Joker is set to film in New York from September 10 through the end of November and will be in theaters October 4, 2019.
Stay tuned to That Hashtag Show for more news you aren’t finding anywhere else.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Fleck’s mother was described as “very attractive in her youth“, “obsessed with her former employer” and unable to believe “this is what her life has come to.” Could Phillips’ origin story be setting the stage for a deeper connection between Bruce and the Joker than we could have ever imagined? While it’s just a theory, and a crazy one at that, it’s possible that Penny once worked for the Waynes and that Thomas is the father of her son.
Thomas Wayne:

Bruce Wayne - YOU ARE THE BROTHER OF THE JOKER!

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
Mm-- Mr. Joker how did you get those hideous scars running from your mouth?
It's a harelip you idiot

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Giving the Joker a real name is stupid and just the sort of thing DC would do.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
BUMP

Alec Baldwin joins Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movie in key role

Alec Baldwin has joined Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker movie, EW has confirmed.

In a surprising move, Baldwin will play Thomas Wayne, the father of Bruce Wayne (surprising as the role has historically been a bit brief and thankless in previous Batman films).

THR first reported the news, and added that rumored co-stars Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, and Marc Maron are also on board and also that Thomas Wayne will be a “cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mold of a 1980s Donald Trump” than how he’s traditionally portrayed (as a warm-hearted billionaire philanthropist intent on bettering Gotham City who’s cruelly gunned down by a mugger in front of his young son). Baldwin also, of course, regularly plays a wildly cartoonish version of Trump on Saturday Night Live.

The Joker film is also said to be a darker, modestly budgeted character-based drama compared to the bombastic spectacle of Warner Bros.’ other DC Comics titles like Justice League and Suicide Squad.

Production on Joker (just that, not The Joker) will begin this fall with Phoenix playing the demented supervillian.

The official description: “Under the direction of Todd Phillips, the film centers around the iconic arch nemesis and is an original, standalone story not seen before on the big screen. Phillips’ exploration of a man disregarded by society is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.”

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Yeah, that's gonna be a yikes from me, dawg.