Movie Joker Origin Movie Greenlit at WB with Joaquin Phoenix Starring

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
BUMP

Alec Baldwin joins Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movie in key role

Alec Baldwin has joined Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker movie, EW has confirmed.

In a surprising move, Baldwin will play Thomas Wayne, the father of Bruce Wayne (surprising as the role has historically been a bit brief and thankless in previous Batman films).

THR first reported the news, and added that rumored co-stars Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, and Marc Maron are also on board and also that Thomas Wayne will be a “cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mold of a 1980s Donald Trump” than how he’s traditionally portrayed (as a warm-hearted billionaire philanthropist intent on bettering Gotham City who’s cruelly gunned down by a mugger in front of his young son). Baldwin also, of course, regularly plays a wildly cartoonish version of Trump on Saturday Night Live.

The Joker film is also said to be a darker, modestly budgeted character-based drama compared to the bombastic spectacle of Warner Bros.’ other DC Comics titles like Justice League and Suicide Squad.

Production on Joker (just that, not The Joker) will begin this fall with Phoenix playing the demented supervillian.

The official description: “Under the direction of Todd Phillips, the film centers around the iconic arch nemesis and is an original, standalone story not seen before on the big screen. Phillips’ exploration of a man disregarded by society is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.”
Oof. Not smart. But like everything with this, grain of salt.

LiddyRules

Yeah, that's gonna be a yikes from me, dawg.
It's a combination of three horrible things. Villifying Thomas Wayne, moar Trump, Alec Baldwin's Trump.

Though I could imagine a character like that in Batman 89.

It's a combination of three horrible things. Villifying Thomas Wayne, moar Trump, Alec Baldwin's Trump.

Though I could imagine a character like that in Batman 89.
I understand this movie is supposed to be from the Joker's POV. But villifying Thomas Wayne seems wrong to me. That seems like something Zack Snyder would do.

LiddyRules

I understand this movie is supposed to be from the Joker's POV. But villifying Thomas Wayne seems wrong to me. That seems like something Zack Snyder would do.
I was thinking the same thing. That maybe Thomas Wayne appears evil because this is from Joker's POV. It won't keep us from annoying Trump nonsense but it would preserve the legacy of a fictional character we are far too invested in.

And then it occurred to me. Shouldn't Thomas Wayne be dead at this point?

I know that this is an origin story, but Phoenix is not that young. And this needs to end with him becoming the Joker otherwise what's the point. So for him and Batman to be somewhat similar in age, Bruce Wayne needs to be at least early adulthood. Unless this ends with him killing Thomas Wayne like Batman 89, but I think they realize people don't like Joker caused Batman caused Joker. But in this Batman can't cause Joker because he's 8.

Even Gotham knows this, and they're the masters of "fuck it."

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
There is 0 chance I will ever watch this movie.

HandPanzer

Lo Efímero
It's My Birthday!
A Trump parody from the Joker perspective could be construed as a subtle way to mock the TDS types.

Pigdango

Donator
Fair point. I will say that I don't expect many of the TDS types to get it though.
No I meant nothing about this movie will be subtle or nuanced. The fact that Thomas Wayne is even in it tells you all you need to know, including the scene where someone says to Phoenix “you’re such a Joker...”

Any perceived mocking of TDS will be completely unintended.

HandPanzer

Lo Efímero
It's My Birthday!
No I meant nothing about this movie will be subtle or nuanced. The fact that Thomas Wayne is even in it tells you all you need to know, including the scene where someone says to Phoenix “you’re such a Joker...”

Any perceived mocking of TDS will be completely unintended.
Ah, okay, I misunderstood.

You can see how one could perceive it though, right?

Pigdango

Donator
Ah, okay, I misunderstood.

You can see how one could perceive it though, right?
I have to be honest it didn’t even occur to me in a part played by Baldwin in a movie also starring Deniro. Those guys aren’t rocket scientists but they’re smart enough not to sign on for something like that.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
In case it hasn't been mentioned in a while: fuck this movie.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
also that Thomas Wayne will be a “cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mold of a 1980s Donald Trump” than how he’s traditionally portrayed (as a warm-hearted billionaire philanthropist intent on bettering Gotham City who’s cruelly gunned down by a mugger in front of his young son).

LiddyRules

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Giving the Joker a real name is stupid and just the sort of thing DC would do.
Having not bothered to read the thread, as usual, I'll add this. Its a perfectly fine thing to do, so long as they release a movie with a third joker, different actor, different look, different back ground. Make sure it is clear it is the same universe and offer absolutely no explanation as to whether they are all the same person, 3 different people or a figment of Batmans imagination.

LiddyRules

Joker has officially become part of the DCEU. When I saw this thread was bumped, my first thought was "Oh God, What Now?" And when I saw why it was bumped, my first thought was "Oh God, What Now?"

So the first image a Sears photo of a guy who raided Travis Bickle's wardrobe and got a shitty wig. I don't even know what this is. If he had The Joker's color scheme but in very muted colors (e.g. something more magenta than purple for the jacket) and a faded orange for the shirt at least I could get what they were going for.

Pigdango

Donator
Joker has officially become part of the DCEU. When I saw this thread was bumped, my first thought was "Oh God, What Now?" And when I saw why it was bumped, my first thought was "Oh God, What Now?"

So the first image a Sears photo of a guy who raided Travis Bickle's wardrobe and got a shitty wig. I don't even know what this is. If he had The Joker's color scheme but in very muted colors (e.g. something more magenta than purple for the jacket) and a faded orange for the shirt at least I could get what they were going for.
Warning - this scene contains graphic violence