Movie Joker Origin Movie Greenlit at WB with Joaquin Phoenix Starring

NuttyJim

Thomas Wayne should be dead by this point. That bugs me.

I also think they're moving away from the douchey But Trump Maaan! approach by casting Nobody McWho in the role.
Why should he be dead already when there is no evidence of Batman being in it. Actually Batman shouldn’t be in it.

Joe Chill historically is known (atleast in early detective comics) for killing Thomas Wayne instead of the Nicholson Joker doing it.

I don’t see them going the Trump route now that Alec Baldwin is out. It wouldn’t work with anyone else. They may portray him as a ruthless businessman or go more the philanthropic route.

NuttyJim

They're at risk of overselling it. Concentrate on making a good movie, not on the promotion
I agree but they gotta put the bait in the water. Now if it continues like other films that have 10 different teasers and trailers then people will be over saturated with the films plot and nothing will be left.

I’m ok with what has been shown so far. They should stop now until they’re ready for a teaser and then full reveal trailer for comic con.

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
Why should he be dead already when there is no evidence of Batman being in it. Actually Batman shouldn’t be in it.

Joe Chill historically is known (atleast in early detective comics) for killing Thomas Wayne instead of the Nicholson Joker doing it.

I don’t see them going the Trump route now that Alec Baldwin is out. It wouldn’t work with anyone else. They may portray him as a ruthless businessman or go more the philanthropic route.
Because of The Joker's age. If Thomas Wayne is alive, that means Bruce Wayne is no younger than 8 at this time and Phoenix is going to be playing, what? Mid-30s at youngest?

I do wonder if (a) they will return to the him killing the Waynes thing (I disagree) or (b) if the death of Thomas Wayne is what drives him mad, either because (x) he wrongly saw Thomas Wayne as his enemy (if they go the unscrupulous business man route - whether real or imagined from Joker's perspective) and without someone to blame his problems on he became lost or (y) Wayne represented goodness and with his death, all hope was lost.

I'm still interested. If they're going for a Taxi Driver vibe - which they clearly are - you don't need a Batman for that, but what are they going to do with it? I still don't know.

Which multiple choice origin do you think they're going to borrow more from? The Killing Joke origin with the Red Hood gang or the 89/Mask of the Phantasm origin where he's more involved with the mob?

NuttyJim

Because of The Joker's age. If Thomas Wayne is alive, that means Bruce Wayne is no younger than 8 at this time and Phoenix is going to be playing, what? Mid-30s at youngest?

I do wonder if (a) they will return to the him killing the Waynes thing (I disagree) or (b) if the death of Thomas Wayne is what drives him mad, either because (x) he wrongly saw Thomas Wayne as his enemy (if they go the unscrupulous business man route - whether real or imagined from Joker's perspective) and without someone to blame his problems on he became lost or (y) Wayne represented goodness and with his death, all hope was lost.

I'm still interested. If they're going for a Taxi Driver vibe - which they clearly are - you don't need a Batman for that, but what are they going to do with it? I still don't know.

Which multiple choice origin do you think they're going to borrow more from? The Killing Joke origin with the Red Hood gang or the 89/Mask of the Phantasm origin where he's more involved with the mob?
I agree with the Taxi Driver vibe, also thought of Mean Streets.

I’m thinking some bastardization of “Killing Joke”

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator

I think I'd have waited to start promoting this movie until after Gotham finished it's run.

LiddyRules

I think I'd have waited to start promoting this movie until after Gotham finished it's run.
I think Gotham ends in May, and they probably wanted a poster out in time for Shazam. And especially End Game.

Pigdango

Donator
I think Gotham ends in May, and they probably wanted a poster out in time for Shazam. And especially End Game.
Is this not Rated R? I thought it was Rated R. Maybe I'm wrong.

Pigdango

Donator
You can put up posters for R rated movies.
I guess I was connecting poster to trailer and assumed this meant we were getting a trailer soon to attach to them there movies you mentioned.

Shazam is a somewhat "hard" PG-13 by the way. Lots of swearing and at least one decapitation. It's not Breaking Dawn, but considering who I assume it's targeted at, a little rough.

LiddyRules

I guess I was connecting poster to trailer and assumed this meant we were getting a trailer soon to attach to them there movies you mentioned.

Shazam is a somewhat "hard" PG-13 by the way. Lots of swearing and at least one decapitation. It's not Breaking Dawn, but considering who I assume it's targeted at, a little rough.
I could swear that I've seen trailers for R rated movies before PG-13 movies before. Not the red band trailer but the green band trailer. I'd be surprised if we didn't get some sort of teaser attached to End Game or Far From Home. A lot of people probably don't know about the Joker movie, and with all the April Blockbusters this is the time to raise awareness that there's going to be a Joker movie so that they can go "what the fuck are they doing?" Whereas we've been going "what the fuck are they doing?" for months now.

Speaking of Joker, there will be a LeToker appearance - or at least body double - in Bird of Prey.

Pigdango

Donator
I could swear that I've seen trailers for R rated movies before PG-13 movies before. Not the red band trailer but the green band trailer. I'd be surprised if we didn't get some sort of teaser attached to End Game or Far From Home. A lot of people probably don't know about the Joker movie, and with all the April Blockbusters this is the time to raise awareness that there's going to be a Joker movie so that they can go "what the fuck are they doing?" Whereas we've been going "what the fuck are they doing?" for months now.

Speaking of Joker, there will be a LeToker appearance - or at least body double - in Bird of Prey.

I think this might be from Leto's instagram.

Neon

ネオン
Whether this is good or not, I'm really happy DC is doing stuff like this rather than trying to be canonical and interconnected Marvel-style.

Pigdango

Donator
Whether this is good or not, I'm really happy DC is doing stuff like this rather than trying to be canonical and interconnected Marvel-style.
What they're actually doing is a mix of both, which is a far better approach than just scrapping everything because Zack Snyder is a moron. And if you really focus on Snyder's films he wasn't actually trying to do what Marvel did at all. There were no interconnected movies, no buildup to a crossover event, simply a 5 movie Superman story that introduced more heroes and villains as it went on. That's....not what Marvel does. Wonder Woman, Shazam and Aquaman are actually great representations of Marvel-style storytelling.

Whether they will ever attempt another team-up event film is something they will have to figure out, but they definitely shouldn't be afraid of it because of Snyder's failure. Nor should they be afraid of exploiting their multiverse in movies such as these. This (probably) isn't connected and looks weird and stupid, but that didn't stop Venom from succeeding and shouldn't stop WB from trying.

Neon

ネオン
What they're actually doing is a mix of both, which is a far better approach than just scrapping everything because Zack Snyder is a moron. And if you really focus on Snyder's films he wasn't actually trying to do what Marvel did at all. There were no interconnected movies, no buildup to a crossover event, simply a 5 movie Superman story that introduced more heroes and villains as it went on. That's....not what Marvel does. Wonder Woman, Shazam and Aquaman are actually great representations of Marvel-style storytelling.

Whether they will ever attempt another team-up event film is something they will have to figure out, but they definitely shouldn't be afraid of it because of Snyder's failure. Nor should they be afraid of exploiting their multiverse in movies such as these. This (probably) isn't connected and looks weird and stupid, but that didn't stop Venom from succeeding and shouldn't stop WB from trying.
I'd be curious to see Snyder's actual vision just because a singular vision is generally more interesting to me than something that gets retconned along the way, often by people with zero vision.

This trailer pushes my indie buttons. I like Phoenix being weird in shit. This looks a bit like You Were Never Really There set in the DC universe.

Pigdango

Donator
I'd be curious to see Snyder's actual vision just because a singular vision is generally more interesting to me than something that gets retconned along the way, often by people with zero vision.

This trailer pushes my indie buttons. I like Phoenix being weird in shit. This looks a bit like The King of Comedy set in the DC universe.
Fixed.

One could argue the MCU is the singular vision of Kevin Feige. One could also argue that within that vision he has let some filmmakers express their singular visions more than others. Sometimes the narrative has to take precedence. Story should always come first, so that's ok in my book.

Snyder's vision seems to have come from a place that Superman doesn't work in a team setting because he's so much more powerful than everyone, and the best way to handle that dynamic is to deconstruct him. Bully him into becoming a Bully in Man of Steel. Show that underneath the dour exterior of a Bully with God-like Powers is a man who has the capacity to love and sacrifice himself for others in Batman v Superman. Show that his sacrifice was inspirational and motivating, but that resurrecting your fallen God can have consequences in Justice League. Show that absolute power corrupts absolutely as Superman embraces Darkseid's Anti Life equation in Justice League 2, before finally turning back due to his love for Lois and Batman sacrificing himself in the 5th movie.

I might be a little off, but from everything Snyder has written and said, I think I'm pretty close to what his vision was. And again, if that was his singular vision for Superman, then...it's still too much to ask people to deal with that kind of Superman for 4 films, but I guess I understand it. But to try to do all that AND introduce all the other characters without the benefit of their own origin movies? That was really stupid. It's one thing to acknowledge Superman is so much more powerful than everyone. It's something else entirely to limit all those great characters to supporting roles in your Superman deconstruction story.

Think through it this way - does Peter getting dusted in Infinity War mean as much if the only other time we saw him was in Civil War? I think not. Same for Black Panther, Doctor Strange, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Bucky, and the Falcon. Think of what it would be like if the only time we ever saw them were in the 3 Avengers films. That was Zack Snyder's vision.

LiddyRules

Fixed.

One could argue the MCU is the singular vision of Kevin Feige. One could also argue that within that vision he has let some filmmakers express their singular visions more than others. Sometimes the narrative has to take precedence. Story should always come first, so that's ok in my book.

Snyder's vision seems to have come from a place that Superman doesn't work in a team setting because he's so much more powerful than everyone, and the best way to handle that dynamic is to deconstruct him. Bully him into becoming a Bully in Man of Steel. Show that underneath the dour exterior of a Bully with God-like Powers is a man who has the capacity to love and sacrifice himself for others in Batman v Superman. Show that his sacrifice was inspirational and motivating, but that resurrecting your fallen God can have consequences in Justice League. Show that absolute power corrupts absolutely as Superman embraces Darkseid's Anti Life equation in Justice League 2, before finally turning back due to his love for Lois and Batman sacrificing himself in the 5th movie.

I might be a little off, but from everything Snyder has written and said, I think I'm pretty close to what his vision was. And again, if that was his singular vision for Superman, then...it's still too much to ask people to deal with that kind of Superman for 4 films, but I guess I understand it. But to try to do all that AND introduce all the other characters without the benefit of their own origin movies? That was really stupid. It's one thing to acknowledge Superman is so much more powerful than everyone. It's something else entirely to limit all those great characters to supporting roles in your Superman deconstruction story.

Think through it this way - does Peter getting dusted in Infinity War mean as much if the only other time we saw him was in Civil War? I think not. Same for Black Panther, Doctor Strange, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Bucky, and the Falcon. Think of what it would be like if the only time we ever saw them were in the 3 Avengers films. That was Zack Snyder's vision.
I agree with you and would like to add a few more problems.

The other people. With his nihilistic vision centered around Superman, it would be hard to figure out how to use other characters within that universe. It's hard to send them on their own goofy adventures when everything is so wrapped up with how EVERYTHING Superman is, especially using BvS as the starting point. Could you imagine a post-BvS Batman movie that wouldn't involve him completely obsessed with Superman seeing how Justice League turned out? Of the two movies they made in this universe: Wonder Woman was a prequel so they could avoid the Superman thing and Suicide Squad was put together specifically to fight Superman. (And if this series had long term foresight, the Squad would have been fighting a Parademon invasion in justice League.)

Hopelessness. The Snyder movies are completely bereft of hope or optimism or joy or anything positive. I think people would have been more comfortable seeing Superman go through this turmoil if even once they felt he cared for anything or anyone. His death wasn't some uplifting moment of heroism and integrity. He dies stabbed through the heart by a monster in a dark alley. I think that Snyder probably felt that was good enough because sacrifice = heroism but it lacked the emotional feeling sacrifices need. You're right - it's tough to ask people to sit through 5 movies to get to the Superman they want, and it's even tougher when we never actually get to see that Superman we want. The way his series is set up, we're not missing out on anything because it never existed. We could never know what it's like to lose Superman because the only time we see Superman saving people, he seems sullen about it. And then to go from BvS pretty much straight into "the world is destroyed, Lois is dead, and Superman is killing everyone"? It's lunacy.

Sucks. The films suck. Have Superman go on this weird journey. Make the world sad. Whatever. But the movies are terrible. Batman v. Superman - the real kick off for this - makes absolutely no sense. It's like the Prequels where everytime you dissect one thing you end up dissecting three more things.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Oh, look. A big budget episode of Gotham without the quirky charm.

Joker can be a fascinating character, but what makes him interesting is Batman.

Joker without Batman is just a lunatic in face paint.

This is stupid.