Joss Whedon's: The Cabin In the Woods

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Sorry for posting an arguably old movie but I don't understand why there wasn't a thread for this gem. I saw it in theaters and went batty over it. I didn't know what this was about when I went to the theater but came out loving this film. I just rented it on Red Box and after I returned it I had an email asking me to review it. I can't believe there is such an extreme shift on reviews between Redbox and Rotten Tomatoes.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_cabin_in_the_woods/
Five friends go to a remote cabin in the woods. Bad things happen. If you think you know this story, think again. From fan favorites Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard comes The Cabin in the Woods, a mind blowing horror film that turns the genre inside out.
Rotten Tomatoes gives it 91% Fresh; 77% of the audience liked it. However out of 3000 reviews, Redbox reviewers give it a 2.5 out of 5 rating. How can this be? What sort of folks does Redbox attract?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I know we've talked about it in a number of threads. It's one of those movies that not only did I really like when I saw it in theaters, it was also one of those movies I wanted to/knew it would find an audience on DVD.

Redbox attracts the type of crowd who'd consider a movie from a couple of months ago "old."

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I know we've talked about it in a number of threads. It's one of those movies that not only did I really like when I saw it in theaters, it was also one of those movies I wanted to/knew it would find an audience on DVD.

Redbox attracts the type of crowd who'd consider a movie from a couple of months ago "old."
When you saw it at the theater did you go in knowing what it was about? I was lucky enough not to have a clue what the story was and neither did my wife. I have a friend who's wife really is critical about horror films and they both came out of the theater loving it. I haven't purchased a DVD in a long time(just bought Avengers for stepson) but I may have to buy this for myself.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
Sorry for posting an arguably old movie but I don't understand why there wasn't a thread for this gem. I saw it in theaters and went batty over it. I didn't know what this was about when I went to the theater but came out loving this film. I just rented it on Red Box and after I returned it I had an email asking me to review it. I can't believe there is such an extreme shift on reviews between Redbox and Rotten Tomatoes.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_cabin_in_the_woods/

Rotten Tomatoes gives it 91% Fresh; 77% of the audience liked it. However out of 3000 reviews, Redbox reviewers give it a 2.5 out of 5 rating. How can this be? What sort of folks does Redbox attract?
Alot of people went in expecting a horror movie not a Horror Comedy. Alot of people are stupid.............

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I loved loved loved this movie. I can watch it a million times, too. I remember seeing it in the theater, and the minute the title card hit the screen, I knew I was going to enjoy it. It was one of the most fun experiences I've had at a theater. Lots of laughs and gasps and cheers.

And to answer the question you asked Liddy - I heard that it was unexpected, and I saw part of the trailer (stopped mid way) and one little image in it made me think it was more than just your standard horror movie. However, I didn't expect it to be what it was, and I didn't expect it to be as good as it was.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
I think when I was watching it (and the following day) I was trying to find something not to like about it, but couldn't.

I'm always happy when HPL inspired stuff makes its way into new movies. I don't have a lot of exposure to the original works, but I've been captivated the few times here and there I've run into them. I'm waiting for a trend of huge movies about the most well known stories to take over the genre for a little while. Can't believe they haven't so far (not counting old shit, which I generally don't bother with).

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I think when I was watching it (and the following day) I was trying to find something not to like about it, but couldn't.

I'm always happy when HPL inspired stuff makes its way into new movies. I don't have a lot of exposure to the original works, but I've been captivated the few times here and there I've run into them. I'm waiting for a trend of huge movies about the most well known stories to take over the genre for a little while. Can't believe they haven't so far (not counting old shit, which I generally don't bother with).
Gullermo Del Toro was going to do Mountains of Madness, but it was too Prometheusy.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Yeah I knew about that. As much as I thought this is what I was waiting for, I'd rather someone else do it.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
I fucking LOVE this movie. I've shown it to everyone I can. Got the Blu-Ray and Amazon Instant

When you saw it at the theater did you go in knowing what it was about? I was lucky enough not to have a clue what the story was and neither did my wife.
When I saw the preview, I was thinking it was some stupid reality-tv thing, or some science experiment. What it turned out to be was SO well done. There are a few little issues I have with the movie, but overall it's tied with Trick 'r Treat for my favorite horror movie in the last 10 years (maybe longer)

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
x2 to all the good words about CITW. Fucking brilliant.

Jan 9, 2006
Delmar, NY
Can't say enough good things as a horror fan. I absolutely loved it. It's probably going to be the first blu ray I buy this year.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Thought it was really good and loved the two guys they had as the control room guys.
I was giggling at the speaker phone part.
Also, I had no idea that "Last" by nin was in the movie at all, so it was an awesome happy surprise when it just suddenly came blasting on when the credits started

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Thought it was really good and loved the two guys they had as the control room guys.
I was giggling at the speaker phone part.
Also, I had no idea that "Last" by nin was in the movie at all, so it was an awesome happy surprise when it just suddenly came blasting on when the credits started
The control room duo probably made the movie for me. Both were hilarious.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I guess I have to see this.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
You're probably going to need to watch it more than once now that it's been built up like this.
Fixy.

Like a bunch of other people, I was lucky enough to see it without knowing anything about it or hearing more than a peep or two of hype. I'd give it about an 8.5 (which equates to about a 9.5 in the shitty horror genre).