Journalist Michael Hastings Killed in a Car Accident

HandPanzer

Vergangenheitsbewältigung
May 30, 2013
Journalist Michael Hastings, best known for his reporting on General Stanley McChrystal, died in an early morning car accident in Los Angeles.

Story

Last edited:

soiledshorts79

Registered Tumor .
Mar 2, 2010
Texas
The plot (and my tinfoil wrapped erection) thickens....

LOS ANGELES (KTLA) — The crash that killed journalist Michael Hastings was ruled an accident by police, but conspiracy theories continued to circulate on Friday. Hastings, 33, was killed in a fiery solo-vehicle crash in Hancock Park early Tuesday morning. He was best known for a 2010 Rolling Stone article that led to the resignation of Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who was the former U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan. Staff Sgt. Joseph Biggs told KTLA that he received an email from Hastings on Monday. Biggs had known Hastings since 2008, when the journalist was embedded in his unit in Afghanistan. “On Monday morning, I woke up and I got an email, and it’s very panicked,” Biggs said. He was blind-copied on the email, which was sent to Hastings’ colleagues. In part, it said that the feds were interviewing his close friends and associates, and that he was onto a big story and needed to get off the radar. The FBI has denied that Hastings was ever under investigation. “It alarmed me very much,” Biggs said. “I just said it doesn’t seem like him. I don’t know, I just had this gut feeling and it just really bothered me,” he said. The email was sent just before 1 p.m. on Monday, 15 hours before the deadly crash. Breaking news photographer Scott Lane happened to be less than a mile from the scene of the crash, and shot video of the fiery aftermath. Video taken from his car’s dashcam also caught what appeared to be Hastings’ Mercedes minutes before the crash, speeding through a red light. More than 30 seconds pass after Hastings’ car goes by, and no other cars pass through the intersection. “There’s no cars that are following him,” Lane said. “He flies by and 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds goes by… No cars are following him.” Still, the conspiracy theories continued on the Internet, and Biggs said he just wants to know the truth about what happened to his friend. “I’m going to be willing to help and do whatever I can and make sure that people look into this story and make sure they find out whatever happened.” Investigators were looking into whether Hastings’ car had a mechanical problem, or if he may have had a medical condition that caused him to crash, police said.
http://ktla.com/2013/06/21/exclusive-hastings-sent-colleagues-email-hours-before-crash/

HandPanzer

May 30, 2013
Here are the stringer videos.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
LoudLabs News is the new Foundry.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
This guy was an attention whore. I wouldn't put it past him to pull this stunt as some kind of suicide by driving into a tree at 100 miles an hour. Because even if your brakes are cut or the accelerator mechanism is fucked with, you can still throw the car in neutral.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
This guy was an attention whore. I wouldn't put it past him to pull this stunt as some kind of suicide by driving into a tree at 100 miles an hour. Because even if your brakes are cut or the accelerator mechanism is fucked with, you can still throw the car in neutral.
Or park or rip the e brake but most people panic when brakes cease to work

HandPanzer

May 30, 2013
Hitting a tree will slow you down as well...

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Im no conspiracy nutjob but something about the initial reports just doesnt add up.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Or park or rip the e brake but most people panic when brakes cease to work
But that doesn't explain going 100 miles an hour for a couple minutes. Sure, some people will panic when the brakes don't work and hit the accelerator, but they'll let up on it pretty soon usually.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
I just watched the Pelican brief last night (free amazon prime). That mo fo was killed y'all

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Obama has imprisoned more journalists than Abraham Lincoln. If Obama wanted this guy silenced, he would have no qualms over arresting him and claiming national security.

HandPanzer

May 30, 2013
I cannot find the exact number (it vaires widely- from less than a hundred to 3,000) of journalists jailed under Lincoln but he did suppress approximately 300 anti-war Democratic leaning papers.
Link

As for Obama, the targeting of whistle blowers accompanied with the massive Governmental overreach into private citizens is far more grievous than his incarceration of journalists.
Link

*Edit- Here's a Link detailing Lincoln's journalistic policy (it's quite long).

Last edited:

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I cannot find the exact number (it vaires widely- from less than a hundred to 3,000) of journalists jailed under Lincoln but he did suppress approximately 300 anti-war Democratic leaning papers.
Link

As for Obama, the targeting of whistle blowers accompanied with the massive Governmental overreach into private citizens is far more grievous than his incarceration of journalists.
Link

*Edit- Here's a Link detailing Lincoln's journalistic policy (it's quite long).
Yeah, that was kind of my point. Journalists≠Whistleblowers≠Leakers.

But I have no problem with him going after agents and staffers who jeopardize other agents and staffers. Like the guy that outed an agent connected with waterboarding and the ones that blew the Saudi/UK agent's cover in Yemen.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale

HandPanzer

May 30, 2013
Coroner, family link Michael Hastings to drug use at time of death

Journalist Michael Hastings, who was killed in a fiery Los Angeles crash in June, died of "traumatic injuries" as a result of the accident and had traces of drugs in his system, Los Angeles coroner's officials said Tuesday.

Hastings, 33, died June 18 in a single-vehicle accident. His car burst into flames and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Coroner's officials said Hastings had traces of amphetamine in his system, consistent with possible intake of methamphetamine many hours before death, as well as marijuana. Neither were considered a factor in the crash, according to toxicology reports.

DOCUMENT: Read the autopsy report
The cause of death was massive blunt force trauma consistent with a high-speed crash. He likely died within seconds, the report said.

Hastings had arrived in Los Angeles from New York the day before the accident, with his brother scheduled to arrive later the day of the crash "as his family was attempting to get [Hastings] to go to detox," the report stated.

Hastings was believed sober for 14 years, but had recently begun using drugs again in the past month or so, according to the coroner's office, based on interviews with family members.

A medical marijuana card was found in Hastings wallet and had been prescribed for treatment of post-traumatic stress resulting from his time as a war journalist in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hours before the crash, Hastings had last been seen by one witness "passed out" sometime between 12:30 a.m. and 1 a.m. The crash occurred just before 5 a.m.

In an interview with CNN, Hastings' widow Elise Jordan called the crash a “really tragic accident.”

She told CNN’s Piers Morgan earlier this month that she didn’t “really have anything to add” to the ongoing police investigation into the crash in Hollywood that took her husband’s life.

“You know, my gut here, was that it was just a really tragic accident, and I’m very unlucky, and the world was very unlucky,” Jordan said.

Hastings' Mercedes crashed on Highland Avenue near Melrose Avenue. The Los Angeles Police Department said there were no signs of foul play.

His death prompted numerous conspiracy theories, most suggesting that the famed journalist may have been killed while chasing his next big story.

The FBI said that Hastings was never under investigation by the agency.

"At no time was journalist Michael Hastings ever under investigation by the FBI," the agency said in a statement.

Hastings' 2010 Rolling Stone profile of Gen. Stanley McChrystal, "The Runaway General," exposed the general and his staff's disdain for their superiors, ranging from National Security Advisor James L. Jones to Vice President Joe Biden and President Obama.

Hastings won the prestigious George Polk Award for magazine reporting and later wrote a book about McChrystal and his time in the war zone: "The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America's War in Afghanistan."
Story Link.

Autopsy report Link.

Last edited: