July 2007 Game Sales: Wii goes nuts and did the PS3 price drop help?

ZeoVGM

I am awesome. You are not.
Jun 11, 2004
Bridgewater, MA
July Hardware Figures
Wii 425 k
Nintendo DS 405 k
PlayStation 2 222k
PlayStation Portable 214k
Xbox 360 170k
PlayStation 3 159k
Game Boy Advance 87k

So uh.. about that price drop. Sales went up, obviously. But so did 360's, and somehow, even with a $100 price drop, PS3 was still not able to outsell 360 for a month. This is with July being a month of lots of "3 red rings" news stories, rumors about a 360 price drop in August, and no big game releases.

This might just about do it for Sony this gen, honestly. This was their month to make a showing, but they couldn't do it with a price drop, proving it's not just the price, but it's a general lack of interest in the system.

This month, with the 360 price drop, the negative press of the PS3 version of Madden (and apparently great sales of the 360 version), and Bioshock, along with Halo 3 next month and the upcoming holiday season... With no system sellers on PS3 this year, they're going to fall so far behind.

And hell, now studios are leaving Blu-ray. Ouch.

And oh yeah, Wii outsold DS for the first time. The friggin' DS. Even though it's still hard to find the damn thing, it outsold DS.

Top 10 SKU's for July
360 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 1 397k
PS2 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S ACTIVISION (CORP) 2 339k
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 3 278k
PS2 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 4 236k
WII MARIO PARTY 8 NINTENDO OF AMERICA 5 177k
PS3 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 6 156k
NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7 144k
PS2 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION (CORP) 8 143k
PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR ACTIVISION (CORP) 9 138k
360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR ACTIVISION (CORP) 10 108k

And there's your top games. Nothing too exciting there though.

KakTheInfected

Mar 10, 2005
Pachter fails again.

The Sony fanboys are gonna show up and scream and throw spin on this, but christ, what can Sony do at this point? A clearance sale (not a real price drop) in a month where the 360 had almost nothing, and the PS3 still lags behind.

Charge too much for a system with no games, and this is what happens.

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
I don't think a lack of interest is killing the PS3, it's the friggin price.

Drop it to $250 and I'll get one next week.

Chester'sLiver

ESD is Wackbag's hero!
Jan 28, 2005
New Jersey
The only game I can even think I want for my PS3 is MGS4 and I have no idea when that comes out...

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
If Sony's committed to making the PS3 a ten-year console as they said then they need to stay focused and work to win the war, not this battle. I'm a 360 fanboy, but I'll admit the PS3 has a ton of potential and when they figure out what the fuck they're doing, they'll get back on course - they've got the name recognition, which is key in business. The system was clearly rushed - why the hell did they launch without a MGS, a Twisted Metal or Gran Turismo? It's retarded. They underestimated the market's desire to have a great video game console and overestimated its desire for some entertainment supercenter. But Sony's smart - they've killed everything in their path the past two generations so they'll get back on track. I'm shocked they've let themselves get this far behind though.

I read the Wii has outsold the 360 - that's amazing. I have no real desire to play it myself, but it's a nice surprise to see Nintendo back on top.

That said, it's an awesome time to have a 360 (so long as yours works.) Halo 3 is going to be massive, XBOX Live is the best thing in video games today and they're putting out quality games every month it seems. I don't understand why people hate every system they don't own. I don't have a stake in MS and if there's three systems doing well, it's that much better for the industry which means more money for development and better products.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
So let me get this straight. There are absolutely no games worth having on the PS3 right now and the 360 managed in North America alone to outsell it by only 11,000 units while across the world the 360 continued to get outsold by the PS3 and that means Sony is fucked?

Microsoft paid Paramount to be thier bitch, what's the 360 fans excuse? A few good games and you'll take whatever crap MS sends down the pipe?

Let me be clear, if I had to deal with my console breaking every couple months, while having to pay top dollar for every add-on and extra, I don't care if the thing had the best games in the world on it, I'd ditch it in a heartbeat.

But let me guess, you hate fanboy threads. So you waited for even the slightest bit of bad news to come out about the PS3 so you could run to wackbag and crow about how that system you got is so much better than that other system.

See, I don't post weekly threads when the 360 finds a way to fuck over their users because quite frankly, I know everything that's going to happen when I do. Kak will come in and talk about how Nintendo is the greatest at making games. Then an assortment of guys who've had their 360 crap out on them and destroy their discs will come by to talk about how their system is better or at the very lest about how they'd never spend 500$ on a system with no games (while spending even more on their broken 360).

Let's cut to the end. All these threads boil down to is I like my PS3 because it does more than the 360 at a lower overall cost. You all like your Wiis and 360s because it's not Sony and you like 2 or 3 of the games that are on it a lot.

Now, feel free to chime in with meaningless fluff that is absolute garbage in terms of logic.

KakTheInfected

Mar 10, 2005
I HAVE TO DEFEND THE PS3! I HAVE TO! I JUST CAN'T FUCKING STOP MYSELF!

That's why you're a fanboy. You didn't have to post anything here, or at least try to have a discussion about why the system is in third place but nope, it has to start with whining. It's not going to magically end up in first place, so you may as well get over it now.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
The system was clearly rushed - why the hell did they launch without a MGS, a Twisted Metal or Gran Turismo? It's retarded. They underestimated the market's desire to have a great video game console and overestimated its desire for some entertainment supercenter.

That said, it's an awesome time to have a 360 (so long as yours works.) Halo 3 is going to be massive, XBOX Live is the best thing in video games today and they're putting out quality games every month it seems.
Well there's seldom AAA titles made at a systems launch. Mainly because dev tools are generally weak at that point. Look at the 360. For all the people saying it had great games there was a shitload more saying there was shit for games the summer after launch.

The problem is people act as if Sony is making all the games that go on the PS3 and Microsoft is making all the games going on the 360. They're not. Sony can only work on attracting people to the system and making it the best hardware for gaming. Microsoft attracted a lot of people because they had a couple million more consoles out because they launched first. That's not a static situation. Sony has sold almost half as many systems worldwide. By 2008 they'll probably have sold more than half at the rate it's going. In fact, many probably think it's a forgone conclusion that the 360 will hit 20 million units sold before the PS3. I think long term that's not guaranteed.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I HAVE TO DEFEND THE PS3! I HAVE TO! I JUST CAN'T FUCKING STOP MYSELF!

That's why you're a fanboy. You didn't have to post anything here, or at least try to have a discussion about why the system is in third place but nope, it has to start with whining. It's not going to magically end up in first place, so you may as well get over it now.
Of all the people on wackbag, you've got to be the most annoying behind Aero1 when it comes to gaming.

I'm a fanboy? Even though I've said on here that I've played the Wii and had fun on it. Even though I've said the 360 has a better marketplace and online set-up than the Wii or the PS3. Yeaaaaaaa.... maybe you're the tool and I'm just being honest.

And you realize that you're bashing a console that isn't number 1 on a site of a radio show that isn't number 1 either but we sure do enjoy them. So how about this.. how about you shut the fuck up about something not being number one and argue about why it sucks instead. Though "there's no games!!!!" is getting kind of old. You'd think you realize by now that that can change with time.

Chester'sLiver

ESD is Wackbag's hero!
Jan 28, 2005
New Jersey
I have all three systems so I am able to construct an opinion on all of them. and here are my opinions:

The Wii: Was really fun when I first bought it. The new controller system is interesting and keeps things from getting stale...Graphics aren't great and the game library right now is awful.

The PS3: Graphics on games are really good if they use the PS3 to its full potential. Problem is when people like EA sports fuck Sony by putting out a game at 30fps like madden. I played it on PS3 and it was awful. Loading screens took forever and the game looked shitty. I use the PS3 as a Blue Ray movie player more then a video game system right now. I think it has potential, but they need to put some good exclusive games out. The PSN network sucks too IMO.

The 360: As of right now it is the best system. It has a good game library (it should since it was out way before the PS3 and Wii), The graphics are not that far behind the PS3, and XBOX live kicks the shit out of the PSN network and there is no disputing that. Also I enjoy the game achievements, it helps keeps the game from getting boring.

so if someone asked me right now what is the system to buy I would tell them the 360 hands down. And I am not a fan boy of anyone of the 3. If Sony is doing better I will buy more Sony games, If the 360 then I will buy more of their games. Either way I am fine.

ZeoVGM

I am awesome. You are not.
Jun 11, 2004
Bridgewater, MA
You all like your Wiis and 360s because it's not Sony and you like 2 or 3 of the games that are on it a lot.
Oh man, what a tool.

You'd fit in over at the PS3Forums where people are actually saying MS paid off NPD to lie about selling more.

Yes, it "only" sold that much more. Except you enjoy spinning like Fox News. PS3 should have outsold 360 in July. Simple fact. But it didn't. It had a fucking $100 price drop, while 360 had bad publicity during that month and no big game releases, with a rumored price drop for the NEXT month.

And somehow you think that's NOT bad.

Don't you get it dude? It can't just be "when the games come". It's going to be TOO LATE. PS3 has ZERO chance of outselling 360 until next year, maybe when MGS4 comes out in like March (if it's not delayed again).

Price is obviously a factor and 360 will ALWAYS beat PS3 on that.

You can have the typical "well, when it's $250, it'll sell!"

No, if it's $250 by the end of 2008, the PS3 bombed. That's called a desperate move and Sony will lose a shitton of money. And they CAN'T do that, so it won't happen. You won't be able to buy a PS3 for $300 until at LEAST the end of 2008. By then, 360 probably would have dropped again. Wii would have dropped for the first time. The userbases will eclipsing PS3 in America.

Sony can't come back from this. It sucks, but the first year and a half is probably the most important in a console's lifetime. Because it has to make it's ground and then developers will follow.

You have the creator of Castlevania, for example, saying that after the PSP remake comes out, he is working on an original new one for DS. And an original new Castlevania for 360. And MAYBE PS3.. if sales get better.

You now have developers, Japanese developers, saying they'll work on a 360 game and maybe PS3 if sales go up. 360 is a complete BOMB in Japan. It's dead. PS3 is also doing badly there. Very badly, but not 360 levels obviously.

That shows how important 360's American success is. Japanese developers make decisions based on OUR market over the Japanese market.

PS3 has everything going against it, and there's not a single thing on the horizon that is a reason that it will start outselling 360 anytime soon. And by the time MGS4 hits (early next year -- and MGS isn't as big as it once was) or FFXIII hits (next fall in America at the EARLIEST, possibly longer), it'll be too late. 360 has the "real next gen" userbase. And with Halo 3 + price drop + Bioshock + Mass Effect for the rest of the year.. PS3 has no chance.

And to add to that, GTA4 being delayed until spring? 360 will have a bigger userbase by then. And before you say something stupid like "but so will PS3!", that's obvious. But the GAP will just widen even MORE. PS3 doesn't have a single system seller this year. GTA4 would have helped. Now it's just going to look even better for 360.

Oh, and:

Let's cut to the end. All these threads boil down to is I like my PS3 because it does more than the 360 at a lower overall cost. You all like your Wiis and 360s because it's not Sony and you like 2 or 3 of the games that are on it a lot.
What a god damn fanboy. Telling people why we like things. No, we liek our 360s because it has a very good lineup of games. Not 2 or 3. That's a blatant lie and you know it. Don't spew such bullshit, because you can't be taken seriously.

And guess what? Your reasoning for liking the PS3 is a large reason why it's not doing well: most people want a fucking game machine. They don't care about HD bullshit or doing tons of stuff. They want to play Madden and Grand Theft Auto. That's it. But they don't want to spend $600 fucking bucks to do it. (Or $500, apparently!) So they're purchasing the cheaper system that has the same games and more exclusives.

You're just spouting illogical fanboy nonsense. Stop.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
What a god damn fanboy. Telling people why we like things. No, we liek our 360s because it has a very good lineup of games. Not 2 or 3.
Gears of War.... Dead Rising...Halo 2... Forza...Madden... help me out here. I go by what you all jerk off to on here and I'm running out.

Microsoft minted 11 million systems at the start of this year for the entire world... They've yet to hit that sell through. They started making the 65nm Falcon chipset shortly thereafter and they're still not out yet. As much as Sony is getting its as kicked here, it's kicking the 360s ass all over the world.

You really think that everyone who likes Halo hasn't bought a 360 yet? Cute. Meanwhile a fuckload of people who like MGS have not bought a PS3 yet. So the numbers will change.

But the GAP will just widen even MORE.
The gap is not widening much as is right now. Considering there will be a couple AAA titles out by spring 2008 you really think fewer people will buy it after there's some great games?

The 360 has hit it's zenith of ability. It's bricking more and more systems with each new release. The PS3 has yet to even reach it's mid-range of ability.

so go have fun jerking off about how you saved a few bucks today even though it'll cost you more down the road. It makes you look real smaht!

KakTheInfected

Mar 10, 2005
Nobody cares about the graphical capabilities of the PS3 when 1) the 360 has more games worth playing and 2) in less than a year's time the PS3 AND 360 visuals won't even come close to what PCs will put out.

But we can't expect you to not defend the PS3. I mean, sitting back and discussing the problems instead of screaming fanboyish garbage is nuts, nuts I tell you!

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
Halo 3 is going to move a shitload of systems. Sony should have two killer aps to counter it - they don't have anything on Halo's level until MGS4.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Halo 3 is going to move a shitload of systems. Sony should have two killer aps to counter it - they don't have anything on Halo's level until MGS4.
How? Halo 3 isn't exactly Doom 3 where you had a massive update. The people who love Halo 3 are the ones who loved Halo 2. And they already own the system. The people who love MGS4 aren't playing on a PS3 yet.

The PS3 is far from dead as America is only a part of the worldwide market. Sony isn't sweating yet.

Apr 11, 2005
New Jersey
How? Halo 3 isn't exactly Doom 3 where you had a massive update. The people who love Halo 3 are the ones who loved Halo 2. And they already own the system. The people who love MGS4 aren't playing on a PS3 yet.

The PS3 is far from dead as America is only a part of the worldwide market. Sony isn't sweating yet.
why would they own a 360 when halo2 is a last-gen title?

KakTheInfected

Mar 10, 2005
Bogey gets more delusional as this goes on. It's fun to watch.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Eh....okay. I thought it had a 360 version as well since all the chatter I see on it are from 360 owners. I was wrong. Though I don't change my assertion that it won't be bigger for the 360 than MGS will be for the PS3 as everyone I've seen who loved the HALO series, already has a 360. Though I admit, it did change my opinion that it won't be a system seller. It will move some systems. Though as I said, I don't think it will move as many as you think.

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
I like my PS3 because it does more than the 360 at a lower overall cost.
That's what I say, more for your money. Plus, they will soon have the Tyra Lounge mod for PS3 which will seal it for me.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Bogey gets more delusional as this goes on. It's fun to watch.
Why do you have to be such a faggot? Seriously. If you said you sucked cocks you could be only become manlier for at least admitting it.

It's faggots like you that prevent me from getting a Wii as I'd have to actually deal with you all if I decided to go online with it.

Why do the "best" systems have to have the most goddamn awful userbase?