July Book Club

Well?

• The Naked and The Dead - Norman Mailer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage - Haruki Murakami because 1Q84 not in library

• Prophet's Prey - Sam Brower

• Some Graphic Novel

• There Has To Be A Book On Andrew Johnson's Impeachment

• Total voters

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
The Naked and the Dead:
Written in gritty, journalistic detail, the story follows an army platoon of foot soldiers who are fighting for the possession of the Japanese-held island of Anopopei. Composed in 1948, The Naked and the Dead is representative of the best in twentieth-century American writing.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12467.The_Naked_and_the_Dead

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage:
An instant #1 New York Times Bestseller, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage is the remarkable story of a young man haunted by a great loss; of dreams and nightmares that have unintended consequences for the world around us; and of a journey into the past that is necessary to mend the present. Here Haruki Murakami—one of the most revered voices in literature today—gives us a story of love, friendship, and heartbreak for the ages.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19288239-colorless-tsukuru-tazaki-and-his-years-of-pilgrimage

Our Man in Havana:
First published in 1959, Our Man in Havana is an espionage thriller, a penetrating character study, and a political satire that still resonates today. Conceived as one of Graham Greene's 'entertainments,' it tells of MI6's man in Havana, Wormold, a former vacuum-cleaner salesman turned reluctant secret agent out of economic necessity. To keep his job, he files bogus reports based on Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare and dreams up military installations from vacuum-cleaner designs. Then his stories start coming disturbingly true.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/133394.Our_Man_in_Havana

Prophet's Prey:
From the private investigator who cracked open the case that led to the arrest of Warren Jeffs, the maniacal prophet of the polygamous Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (FLDS), comes the page-turning, horrifying story of how a rogue sect used sex, money, and power disguised under a favßade of religion to further criminal activities and a madman's vision.

Despite considerable press coverage and a lengthy trial, the full story has remained largely untold. Only one man can reveal the whole, astounding truth: Sam Brower, the private investigator who devoted years of his life to breaking open the secret practices of the FLDS and bringing Warren Jeffs and his inner circle to justice. In Prophet's Prey, Brower implicates Jeffs in his own words, bringing to light the contents of Jeffs's personal priesthood journal, discovered in a hidden underground vault, and revealing to readers the shocking inside world of FLDS members, whose trust he earned and who showed him the staggering truth of their lives.

Prophet's Prey offers the gripping, behind-the-scenes account of a bizarre world from the only man who knows the full story.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11489698-prophet-s-prey

Doctor Sleep:
Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in this instantly riveting novel about the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the very special 12-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless - mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and spunky 12-year-old Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the "steam" that children with the "shining" produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father's legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant "shining" power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes "Doctor Sleep."

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan's own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra's soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted fans of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16130549-doctor-sleep

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Tough for me to pick. I think they'd all be pretty interesting to read (outside of SK), but I'm not sure if any other than Prophet's Prey will work.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
Tough for me to pick. I think they'd all be pretty interesting to read (outside of SK), but I'm not sure if any other than Prophet's Prey will work.
We do like true crime here...

Should I add the Harold Schechter book on Belle Guinness that just came out?

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Which graphic novels did you have in mind btw?

LiddyRules

Which graphic novels did you have in mind btw?
I haven't thought that far ahead. I've wanted to crack into The Invisibles or Daniel Clowes stuff. I'll also take recommendations and check out WB's comic thread.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
I'm leaning towards one of the following three:

Hell's Princess
Our Man In Havana
The Naked and the Dead

On a side note, I tried to watch the movie version of TNATD once. I made it 20 minutes due there being only 10% of actual movie and rest was all screen.

LiddyRules

Doctor Sleep is the one that interests me least too, but discussion about the movie got me interested in at least checking it out.

Also, maybe we can get more people with more populist entertainment.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Okay, I think I'm going Hell's Princess #1, Our Man in Havana #2, and PP--surprisingly not #1--at #3.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Bump to point out Hell's Princess has been added to the poll.

Here's the Goodreads blurb:
In the pantheon of serial killers, Belle Gunness stands alone. She was the rarest of female psychopaths, a woman who engaged in wholesale slaughter, partly out of greed but mostly for the sheer joy of it. Between 1902 and 1908, she lured a succession of unsuspecting victims to her Indiana “murder farm.” Some were hired hands. Others were well-to-do bachelors. All of them vanished without a trace. When their bodies were dug up, they hadn’t merely been poisoned, like victims of other female killers. They’d been butchered.

Hell’s Princess is a riveting account of one of the most sensational killing sprees in the annals of American crime: the shocking series of murders committed by the woman who came to be known as Lady Bluebeard. The only definitive book on this notorious case and the first to reveal previously unknown information about its subject, Harold Schechter’s gripping, suspenseful narrative has all the elements of a classic mystery—and all the gruesome twists of a nightmare.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34663059-hell-s-princess

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Nothing really jumps out. Don't need another book about murders.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
I'm going to try and participate this month since I'm working slightly less.

Going off the poll, I'm certainly not against reading another Murakami novel.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Doctor Sleep is the one that interests me least too, but discussion about the movie got me interested in at least checking it out.

I read Doctor Sleep.

That's pretty much all I remember about the experience.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I swear I voted for the Stephen King book before I saw this!

Not that my vote matters anyway really. But I do have more time to read in the summer...

Edit:
:haha7:

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I swear I voted for the Stephen King book before I saw this!

Not that my vote matters anyway really. But I do have more time to read in the summer...
I'd give it a go if that's the choice. I don't hate SK (okay, maybe a little), but does anyone really think a sequel to The Shining is going to live up to the original? I guess after Under the Dome and Mr. Mercedes I'm a little wary.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I'd give it a go if that's the choice. I don't hate SK (okay, maybe a little), but does anyone really think a sequel to The Shining is going to live up to the original? I guess after Under the Dome and Mr. Mercedes I'm a little wary.
Long delayed sequels always work out well.

LiddyRules

I don't think King is Bees McKnees but I've rarely read any of his stuff since early high school. I have gotten through the first four Dark Tower books recently but it was probably a decade since I picked up a King book.

Like I said, I got interested in Sleep because of the movie. The description on Wiki sounded bad, but Chip said it was good and he's not at all completely insane now.