Jumping Eagle Ray Kills Boater Off Florida Keys (MERGED X2)

Stalker2

Jun 7, 2001
TRueWDTer
Jumping eagle ray kills boater off Florida Keys

By Jane Sutton 1 hour, 5 minutes ago

MIAMI (Reuters) - An eagle ray leaped onto a boat off the Florida Keys on Thursday and stabbed a woman with its barb, knocking her to the deck and killing her, a Florida wildlife investigator said.

"It's a bizarre accident," said Jorge Pino, an agent with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
The woman and her family were aboard a boat in the Atlantic Ocean, off the city of Marathon in the Florida Keys, he said.
"A large ray jumped out of the water and collided with the victim and somehow the barb penetrated some part of her body, which caused her to fall back and hit her head on some portion of the vessel," Pino said. "We don't know exactly which one of those things caused her death."

LINK: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080320/us_nm/florida_ray_dc

LifeHacker

Blurka Blurka Blurka
Nov 28, 2005
Dude, So Unlucky Lottery!

A woman on a boat died after a spotted eagle ray leaped from the water off the Florida Keys Thursday and struck her, officials said.

The force of the blow pushed the woman backward and she died when she hit her head on the boat deck, officials said.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/20/eagleray/index.html

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
MOD EDIT: Merged threads. Thanks!

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Fuck! I go there every year and have seen them while snorkeling
and never had a problem. Might be more careful now.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
nah, you don't have to worry
"It's just as freakish of an accident as I have heard," said Jorge Pino of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. "The chances of this occurring are so remote that most of us are completely astonished that this happened."
Pino said he had seen rays leap into the air, but added, "it's very rare for them to collide with objects."

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Strange, a creature named after jumping and flying that lives in the water.

It's a conglomerated, mulatto, MONGREL class of fish.

Goober

AKA Eqyptian Teabag the Friendly Arab
Sep 1, 2005
Washington, D.C.
"Unlucky Lottery" or "Sucks To Be You". I vote for "Unlucky Lottery".

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
Jersey
Head trauma killed woman in Fla. stingray collision

Unlucky lottery or God needed a cougar sunbather

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-20-stingray-death_N.htm

MARATHON, Fla. (AP) — A medical examiner says a boater died from head trauma from a 75-pound spotted eagle ray that jumped out of the water in the Florida Keys.
Judy Kay Zagorski, of Pigeon, Mich., was sitting in a boat going 25 mph when the spotted eagle ray, with a wingspan of 5 to 6 feet, leaped out of the water, said Jorge Pino, spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

The 57-year-old woman's father was driving the boat on the Atlantic Ocean side of Vaca Key, Pino said.

"He had absolutely no warning. It just happened instantaneously," Pino said.

The coroner's initial examination has determined the Michigan woman died from the impact with the eagle ray. The family requested that no autopsy be performed.

Authorities say Zagorski was not stung by the ray's barb. Wildlife officials say such deaths are extremely rare.

The stingray also died from the impact, officials said.

Spotted eagle rays can weigh 500 pounds and have a wingspan of up to 10 feet. They are known to occasionally jump out of the water but are not aggressive and use the venomous barb at the end of their tail for defense.

The rays are protected in Florida waters and are typically seen swimming on the water's surface.

"Rays jump to escape a predator, give birth and shake off parasites," said Lynn Gear, supervisor of fishes and reptiles at Theater of the Sea in Islamorada. "They do not attack people."

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
it's a humbling feeling to get hit in the head with a banzai fish, (Trust me.. I know this for fact) but this is nuts.

was she doing this??

[YT]pFTjeaDlxDI[/YT]