OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Jurors can know nisch!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MetalBender, Dec 20, 2011.

1. MetalBender

MetalBender I like fistables.

2. afternoonquil

afternoonquil Apology Ostrich

I read Nietzche once, that shit wasn't even english yo. I fired that fucking book of the brooklyn bridge along with my beret.

3. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

This is pure bullshit. I have read about this guy a few times. It is completely legal to use jury nullification and has a long history in our founding. These assholes just don't want regular people to be able to decide whether the laws are just.

4. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

That's very interesting, and I had no idea. If I heard about this story a week ago, I would have sided with the prosecutors, even though I'm an avid supporter of marijuana legalization. I just had no idea that was even legal. If it is, any conviction would be overturned on appeal. And if that's true, then fuck the prosecutors for wasting everyone's time just to try and intimidate people from doing something they are allowed to do.

5. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/zenger/nullification.html

6. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Here's my question, though - It's impossible to determine the real reason you vote guilty or not guilty, so regarding personal choice, it's sorta legal by default. However, is publicly calling for people to do it intentionally ("it" being voting regardless of the facts in the cast) also covered by the same legality-by-default that applies to the individual act?

7. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

I think in the case of Julian Heicklen, they are getting him on jury tampering charges, because they say his intent is to influence the actual decisions of ACTIVE jurors. Most libertarian types believe that this is just the type of political advocacy that the Founders intended to protect when they wrote the First Amendment: political speech that the government may not like because it undercuts their authority. Now, I do believe that I remember reading that some judges will dismiss potential jurors if they even hint that they may approve of jury nullification and I think that judges have called mistrials because jurors snitched that one of the other jurors was advocating nullification.
    Reason.com has a whole shitload of stories about jury nullification and this guy specifically.
    http://reason.com/blog/2011/02/03/fully-isolated-jury-associatio

8. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

OK, so there is some controversy. That's what I was trying to figure out. Thanks.

9. THRILLHO

THRILLHO Registered User

I was susposed to have jury duty the next two days but it was cancelled... I'm not telling the company I work for that, though. I was prepared to use jury nullification if I thought I needed to.

10. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Yeah, it's kind of one of those unwritten things that has hung around since the early days. One of those particularly American things that makes us who we are and goes in the same vein as "get off my lawn" and "don't tread on me" and other cranky, "fuck the man" stuff.

I really wish I would get called up for jury duty. Most people see it as a hassle, but I think it's one of the most important civic duties that one can do. I would also be all for nullification if the case was right.

11. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

The problem with jury nullification is that unless all 12 agree to it, it'll just end up with a hung jury. And nobody dares to bring it up in the jury room because one of the others could easily rat you out to the judge and get you thrown off the case.

12. LastDeadMouse

LastDeadMouse WWRBD?

With that attitude there's no way a defense attorney is going to want you on a jury. The last thing they want is a group of people that take the case seriously and listen to the facts.

13. Sunsetspawn

Sunsetspawn Registered User

Yeah, and then you end up on a burglary case where the "youth" is fucking guilty as hell. I don't think they let many weed cases get to trial anymore.