Jury Duty Question

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
I have a summons for jury duty at state court on Monday. Is it the law or common courtesy to pay employees for the day(s) they're out? I thought if I give back whatever money I get from the state to my boss they'll pay me for the day, but the office manager just said they don't do that and I would have to take a personal/vaca day(s) in order to get paid.

If it's not a law I'm not going to argue it with them, but is what they're doing legal?

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
which state?

Edit ... just saw your location is RI ... don't know anything about RI .. used to work in the Commissioner of Jurors in Nassau Cnty and the commissioner's son is one of my closest friends, but that's not going to help ya

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
As far as i know they don't have to pay you which can sometimes work in your favor. You can write a letter stating it would be a financial hardship since your employer does not pay (I actually had my employer do it on company stationary) and as long as they aren't huge pricks they may let you go on that...but as far as I know they are not required to pay for jury duty

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
In New York, the employer has to pay the per diem of $40 for the first 3 days of jury duty unless they have less than 10 employees. After that, the State picks up the per diem of $40. The State also pays mileage for the entire time you're on jury duty.

We do a phone in system now so that you're not wasting your time sitting here for 3 days and then dismissed. The basic rule of thumb here is supposed to be one day in and one day out.

We're also not supposed to grant any exemptions, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

Your best bet would be to call the commissioner of jurors or whatever the office is called in your state and ask them what the rules are - the little bit of research I did just now shows that each state has different basic rules.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Or just show up and utter a racial slur during voir dire, you should be out by noon.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Or just show up and utter a racial slur during voir dire, you should be out by noon.
yep, i was called for federal jury duty, quick synopsis: local biker gangs VS local podunk po po, judge asked if any one owned a bike, yes i do, then he asked if i felt that i was ever targeted by the police for riding my bike; yes, and as a matter of fact, i dont think that a bunch of community collage cops should be hassling people over "inspection violations" just as an excuse to pull them over and search there person with out true probable cause, other than how there dressed or how loud there pipes are.......

thank you sir your dismissed.........

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
yep, i was called for federal jury duty, quick synopsis: local biker gangs VS local podunk po po, judge asked if any one owned a bike, yes i do, then he asked if i felt that i was ever targeted by the police for riding my bike; yes, and as a matter of fact, i dont think that a bunch of community collage cops should be hassling people over "inspection violations" just as an excuse to pull them over and search there person with out true probable cause, other than how there dressed or how loud there pipes are.......

thank you sir your dismissed.........
That was brilliant, bravo sir!

The last time I was in jury duty, I was one of three people dismissed. As the three of us (myself a white male, a black male and a Hispanic woman) talked about it latter, the only thing we had in common on jury profiles was that we all had advanced degrees. I guess they don't like the us edgumicated folks. :icon_bigg

NotSoFast

Apr 23, 2006
Thibodaux, LA USA
In my state, the state pays you $10 a day. You get shit on by your company. Most of the time they jump your ass for not getting out of it. At least that's my experience with the whole deal.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
[Ron]Where did you way you were from?[/Ron]
[NotSoFast]Louisiana[/NotSoFast]

Aaaahhhhhhhh!

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Oh and in NY, your employer cannot force you to use a sick or vacation day to serve. Nor can they threaten to or actually fire you for serving. The State will actually go after the employer if it's reported. Usually a letter from the Commissioner of Jurors explaining what's coming solves that problem (I sent out a few when I worked there since I was the payroll clerk)

Quite honestly, yeah, it can be a hardship for some, but if you're able to serve and are actually chosen to sit on a jury, it's a pretty cool experience. It's something everyone should do at least once in their lifetime if they can.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I never serve. My kid works for the county in the 911 center and I
know a few judges and lawyers in the area so I'm always excused.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
I must add, on a side note, there were some very hot ladies doing jury duty the day I was there. Just an observation.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
And I must say, there are 6 fucking retards seriously in need of an ass kicking after costing me $10k to appeal their laziness.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
Here in NJ I don't think the company is required to pay you for jury duty. I only served once when I was working for a public company. As a courtesy they paid your normal salary for the day & did not charge you with vacation time. I just had to bring back a note that I actually served.

I didn't get picked for a jury on a medical malpractice case. Our quarter end was coming up, and I put on the questionnaire that I would lose out on OT pay.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Here in NJ I don't think the company is required to pay you for jury duty. I only served once when I was working for a public company. As a courtesy they paid your normal salary for the day & did not charge you with vacation time. I just had to bring back a note that I actually served.

I didn't get picked for a jury on a medical malpractice case. Our quarter end was coming up, and I put on the questionnaire that I would lose out on OT pay.

There we go. I'm an accountant and it's tax season next week. Thank you sir.

TheTruth

BabyFuck fan since day 1
Jun 27, 2006
North Jersey
I just throw the jury duty notice away whenever they come, they don't send them registered mail so they can't prove that I ever got it.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I just throw the jury duty notice away whenever they come, they don't send them registered mail so they can't prove that I ever got it.
Every few years we send out notices to "delinquent" jurors telling them that if they don't report on a certain day they will be subject to a fine and/or a few days in jail. Whatever the wording is on the summons works - the last time they did this was about 5 years ago and it was one of the hottest days in August. There were over 800 people lined up to get into the building. Some of us thought about getting a few cases of water to sell to these people since we knew they'd be waiting awhile.

bill333

Go Screw!
Mar 23, 2005
Orange County,NY - Hudson Valley
That'll work maybe once, but they'll follow up.

I work for the gubment, so I get the full days pay plus it's better than showing up for work - especially if you're told to go home early.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
That'll work maybe once, but they'll follow up.

I work for the gubment, so I get the full days pay plus it's better than showing up for work - especially if you're told to go home early.
try this one Bill ... the central jury room is in my building - they asked me if I'd "mind" covering the phones in my office and they'd call me if my name was pulled. I could've said no, but I figured it was more exciting than sitting in the auditorium thinking about the work that was piled up on my desk. I did get to go home at 3 when the jurors were dismissed though.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
or you could just go its kind of interesting

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
In New York, the employer has to pay the per diem of $40 for the first 3 days of jury duty unless they have less than 10 employees. After that, the State picks up the per diem of $40. The State also pays mileage for the entire time you're on jury duty.

We do a phone in system now so that you're not wasting your time sitting here for 3 days and then dismissed. The basic rule of thumb here is supposed to be one day in and one day out.

We're also not supposed to grant any exemptions, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

Your best bet would be to call the commissioner of jurors or whatever the office is called in your state and ask them what the rules are - the little bit of research I did just now shows that each state has different basic rules.
I was about to say almost the same thing since I worked in that dept. for about 6& 1/2 years, but thanks. That saved some time I guess.