Just got a smoker, now what?

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Last week I finally invested in a smoker. One of those 30" standing models you find at Home Depot. Propane. 4 racks of goodness, etc etc.

I figured this weekend I'd smoke some baby back ribs as a starter. They should only take about 6 hours and they're fairly no muss no fuss. I know I'm supposed to soak the wood chips before smoking and line the pan with heavy duty foil, and every hour or so spritz the meat with water for vinegar (Thinking I'd use Apple Cider Vinegar). Also it would make sense to "season" the smoker for a couple of hours before use.

Anyone else smoke meats and such? Any tips I should know? What are your favorite things to smoke?

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
Last week I finally invested in a smoker. One of those 30" standing models you find at Home Depot. Propane. 4 racks of goodness, etc etc.

I figured this weekend I'd smoke some baby back ribs as a starter. They should only take about 6 hours and they're fairly no muss no fuss. I know I'm supposed to soak the wood chips before smoking and line the pan with heavy duty foil, and every hour or so spritz the meat with water for vinegar (Thinking I'd use Apple Cider Vinegar). Also it would make sense to "season" the smoker for a couple of hours before use.

Anyone else smoke meats and such? Any tips I should know? What are your favorite things to smoke?
Salmon, chicken, and pork are what people usually smoke. Brisket too.

Stig

Make America Gay Again.
Get her to lay off the fucking cigs.

I love doing Pork Shoulder (boston butt) injected with Mojo Criollo
I'll cut the pork shoulder into 2 pieces and do 1 half mojo and the other half regular for pulled pork...

Mojo
https://www.amazon.com/Goya-Criollo-Marinade-24-50-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B00032CV8O

Brisket is a great treat when you do it just right...a little more of a learning curve but if you find a forum for your smoker you can get great tips/times

You can do full birds...turkey or chicken

Did you clear the purchase with Joy first?

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator

Is it strictly a hot smoker or can you cold smoke as well?

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
Apparently I could make it a cold smoker if I hacked it a bit.
You could make your own bacon! Get a belly piece cure it for a couple of days and cold smoke it for a few hours.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
You could make your own bacon! Get a belly piece cure it for a couple of days and cold smoke it for a few hours.

The audio quality sucked. sorry. but you get the idea. There is a good eats episode where he does cold smoked bacon. See if you can find that.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I've done bacon, pork shoulder brisket pastrami

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
I'll cut the pork shoulder into 2 pieces and do 1 half mojo and the other half regular for pulled pork...

Mojo

Brisket is a great treat when you do it just right...a little more of a learning curve but if you find a forum for your smoker you can get great tips/times

Damn that looks good.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator

Mojo

Dude, that brisket looks freaking perfect. Nice work!

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
I've given this link before, but it gives lots of good info on temp control and how it influences texture. I made this in a homemade old refrigerator smoker the first time for some group my wife was feeding and it was the best any of them ever had, allegedly. I've made it since and it always comes out great.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I've got a picnic coming up next week I'm probably going to do another pork shoulder

Haeder

South Dakota
My brother-in-law cold smoked six pork loins one day to 100 degrees that we finished the next day on a charcoal grill and they were amazing. This was a bit of an accident. He thought they'd cook faster than they did but he ran out of time so the loins were sealed in freezer bags and thrown into a cooler. His oops turned into a tasty win.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
From what I've learned in the last year:

1.) Don't cook by time, cook by temperature. I've had pork butts take anywhere from 10 hours to 17 hours before they were ready. Ribs can take at least 6 hours before they're ready. Most of the time about 8.

2.) For pork butts, cook at 225 degrees until it hits 190 to 205 degrees. It'll seem like it takes forever, especially once it hits the "stall" but it's worth the time. If you have to jack up the temp because of time constraints it won't affect much, but cook at 225 for as long as you possibly can.

3.) Everytime you open the door, you fuck up the temperature, quickly. I don't open the door except at the end to double check the meat temperature with a meat thermometer after the probe says it's hit 190.

4.) This ties into Number 3. Use a water pan inside the smoker and don't worry about opening the door to spritz the meat with water or apple juice or whatever else concoction. Between the water and the fat content of the meat, it's not going to dry out. Spritzing with apple juice won't add any flavor and is a waste of time.

5.) If you're cooking ribs, take the time to remove the membrane off the bottom side.

Someone else linked it but I'll say it too, www.amazingribs.com is a great website with a wealth of information. Most of what I posted are lessons learned from there.

On a side note, spending most of my life in Illinois, I grew accustomed par-boiled ribs thrown on a grill and slathered in ketchup based barbecue sauces. After moving to South Carolina, I've found that par-boiling is a shitty thing to do to ribs and have become very fond of the mustard based sauce.