Just got a smoker, now what?

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
First cook in the new house. Nice prime Costco packer. Trimmed and injected, then SPGO and let it sit in the fridge overnight. I'll put it on in the morning before I go to work - should hit the stall about the time I get home.

Tonight it's a cigar as I run the smoker up and make sure it's functioning properly - looking just fine (once I found an outlet that worked...)

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Into the cooler for a nap. Smells wonderful.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Let the weekend begin! Flat could be juicier, but the point was dripping - lots of slices and lots of chopped. Beer, brisket, cigars and a Sunday full of racing!

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Since buying a house I'm starting to get an itch. I'm thinking about a smoker. What's the benefit to an egg shape or grill style?

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Which one is preferred or more versatile. The egg one looks small.

5skin

Which one is preferred or more versatile. The egg one looks small.
A grill, eggs are basically ovens and a pita to clean. Weber's are great charcoal grills and they offer a grate that swings up on the sides to add or tend to coals.
I've got a Char Griller with gas and charcoal sides plus a burner. I like it because it doesn't have the open back vent like most and the side burner is great for starting charcoal in the charcoal chimney. Online I ordered two more vents for the charcoal side and installed them on the gas side for even more control over flame ups and heat direction.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Gri...ufjDQFyxUzBhLaEeTN2ZqMYRq6u1FqkBoC_XMQAvD_BwE

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I found a recipe to Smoke a Pastrami that I want to try. Anyone try that?

Sent from your Mom's box.
I’ve done it, meh, it was ok but it was too salty even for me, I bought a corned beef from Costco and just smoked it I probably should have soaked it in clean water overnight that brand of corned beef is generally too salty for me anyway

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
I've been cold smoking the crap out of everything lately before the weather turns warm here with one of these.

THE FEZ MAN

@Shootr are you using completely remote temperature probes? I thought I was them and I’m too lazy to look through the entire thread

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
@Shootr are you using completely remote temperature probes? I thought I was them and I’m too lazy to look through the entire thread

This one - probes are dead nuts accurate. One is living in the grill permanently, the others are for the meats.

Saturday is some more pork belly burnt ends for a Fathers Day get together.

Last edited:

THE FEZ MAN

This one - probes are dead nuts accurate. One is living in the grill permanently, the others are for the meats.

Saturday is some more pork belly burnt ends for a Fathers Day get together.
Thanks, I ordered them.

So, I’m planning on cooking a whole pig, that’s what I want them for, I’ve cooked pigs in the past and temperature is always an issue, knowing when it’s “done”. pigs have a tendency to cook uneven, I think having the temperature probes placed throughout to pig will help control that, and allow me to know if I need to cut it in “stages”
My buddy has a “professional” cooker that he’s going to let me use, and I have an event coming up large enough to justify about a 100# pig, I still need to source the pig but that shouldn’t be too much of an issue, I’ve got plenty of time.
There is an “irony” to it, it’s a police centric party :p
The turn out is usually about 75 people and we have been doing Costco burgers and dogs and I usually “take over” the grilling job so as to allow the actual host to not have to worry about it, I also enjoy cooking and it keeps me from getting too drunk.
While burgers are “easy” I personally think that they are gross no matter how you cook them.
I hope that the “lure” of a pig will get a few more people to show up, it usually does. My biggest “worry” is it catching on fire (less of an issue with a professional cooker) and getting stuck with 30# of left over pork, there’s always left overs and about 1/4-1/3 in waste (bone and inedible goop)

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Ambitious!

That's where the numbering and color coding of the probes helps - I know where each one is and can monitor the whole piece of meat.

When connected to the phone app, you can set alarms for temperature limits in case you get side tracked.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Prep is done for the pork belly burnt ends. Great marbling on this one - hope the family likes them as much as I do.

Needs more butter , and whatever that light brown shit is

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Brown sugar - there's plenty of both.

All sauced up and back on to set it.