Just got a smoker, now what?

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Just the bones.

So, here’s how it went;
I drug my lazy ass out of bed around 6:30 and immediately lit the fire.
While I was waiting for the fire to burn down I stuffed it and sewed it up.
To start I put two bags of charcoal, one of briquettes and one of the “red bag” of chunk charcoal, this proved to not be enough after about a two hour burn it was basically gone and the pig hadn’t even reached 120deg so I added another bag of briquettes that lasted about another hour or so to bring it up to 160 so I added another bag of chunk charcoal to “finish”, it went exactly as planned, the only thing that was an issue of it cooking unevenly, I was hoping that stuffing the pig would help this known issue, it kind of did but not completely.
I pulled it off at 200 degrees after about half an hour of “roll down” the fire had been dwindling for about an hour, I tried to keep it at about 325-400 degrees till the last hour when I just let it burn down. It fell apart, right off the bone exactly the way I wanted it to, it was absolutely juicy flavorful and succulent. Exactly how I wanted it to be.

The actual “fuck up” was the chickens, I should have added them much earlier than I did because it took a full two hours for them to “break” they stalled at 170 for every bit of an hour, the other thing was while it was absolutely fucking delicious and juicy it was actually “too tender” if that’s possible almost a tad mushy, but, absolutely delicious.

It went over like gang busters I actually had way too much food again and ironically I accidentally gave away too much and didn’t get any leftovers for myself
Pics or it didn't happen.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Great thing about white people, you can take the best part of the whole animal and no one cares.
Yep, even my mother was shocked, she was blabbering on about “cheek meat” and when I gave her one she didn’t want it because it was “dark” an “fatty” no shit, it’s an actual working muscle on a pig, same with its lower legs that’s why it’s “dark” and that’s not fat, it’s broke collagen.... what ever wanna be foodie, I sucked those brains right of that skull

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Yep, even my mother was shocked, she was blabbering on about “cheek meat” and when I gave her one she didn’t want it because it was “dark” an “fatty” no shit, it’s an actual working muscle on a pig, same with its lower legs that’s why it’s “dark” and that’s not fat, it’s broke collagen.... what ever wanna be foodie, I sucked those brains right of that skull
Well that's your cholesterol intake for the month right there.

Bobobie

Just the bones.

So, here’s how it went;
I drug my lazy ass out of bed around 6:30 and immediately lit the fire.
While I was waiting for the fire to burn down I stuffed it and sewed it up.
To start I put two bags of charcoal, one of briquettes and one of the “red bag” of chunk charcoal, this proved to not be enough after about a two hour burn it was basically gone and the pig hadn’t even reached 120deg so I added another bag of briquettes that lasted about another hour or so to bring it up to 160 so I added another bag of chunk charcoal to “finish”, it went exactly as planned, the only thing that was an issue of it cooking unevenly, I was hoping that stuffing the pig would help this known issue, it kind of did but not completely.
I pulled it off at 200 degrees after about half an hour of “roll down” the fire had been dwindling for about an hour, I tried to keep it at about 325-400 degrees till the last hour when I just let it burn down. It fell apart, right off the bone exactly the way I wanted it to, it was absolutely juicy flavorful and succulent. Exactly how I wanted it to be.

The actual “fuck up” was the chickens, I should have added them much earlier than I did because it took a full two hours for them to “break” they stalled at 170 for every bit of an hour, the other thing was while it was absolutely fucking delicious and juicy it was actually “too tender” if that’s possible almost a tad mushy, but, absolutely delicious.

It went over like gang busters I actually had way too much food again and ironically I accidentally gave away too much and didn’t get any leftovers for myself
A whole pig takes forever to cook. When I was in the Army, some of the Samoans cooked a pig and they buried it in the ground covered with leaves in a bed of coals. They started at around midnight and were done some time the next day.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I don't feel like cleaning my garage today so I'm cutting some video here's another one

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Keto'ing for the week... I gotta stop eating junk and get down a few lbs.

Tasty way to do it.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Baby back ribs for the weekend. Just salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.

Bobobie

This is sort of related. There was a big recall on pig ear treats, dogs dying and a salmonella outbreak. For two weeks the things were nowhere to be found. The local butcher smokes his own meat and he told me If I bought enough, he'd order a case of Pig Ears and smoke them for me. I bought two weeks for $27. It was worth it to not see that whiney sad puss because he didn't get his pig ear at 6 pm like he has his entire life.

Last edited:
Supposed to be cutting the spine out and flattening it down. I'm no butcher, so of course I cut the sternum out instead...shouldn't make much of a difference - we'll see...
Saw my 1st one of these at the supermarket today
Think they did it the right way and removed the back bone
Uncooked and in a hard plastic shell thing
Was like 12 or 13 bucks I think
I didn't buy it though