Just got a smoker, now what?

Bobobie

Saw my 1st one of these at the supermarket today
Think they did it the right way and removed the back bone
Uncooked and in a hard plastic shell thing
Was like 12 or 13 bucks I think
I didn't buy it though
You take one of those a stuff a small duck in it, then a patridge in that, and then pidgeon inside that.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
You take one of those a stuff a small duck in it, then a patridge in that, and then pidgeon inside that.
I’m not a huge fan of that, my moms friend was obsessed with a “turduckin” and at the end of the project it was just gross because to “fully cook it” you have to ruin the duck by over cooking it

Just recently got a new smoker to replace my old freebie piece of crap. The char-whatever freebie could have been a smoker, but it lacked the offset firebox, so I had to regularly open the lid to feed the fire at one end of the barrel with the meat at the other. Maintaining temp was a nightmare because of the lid lifting and the cheap leaky construction.
So I picked up an Oklahoma Joe Reverse Flow Highland for $200 on clearance at BJs.
Holy Fuck the ribs I made on its first go were unbelievable. Like better than anything I have eaten.
It was so incredibly easy to maintain temps... I am sold on the reverse flow. It has the option to move the chimney to use it as a regular offset, but I honestly don't know why.
I know OK Joe isn't what it used to be now that they have sold out to the big money, but it is nicely built and makes some good meat.

MTJonny

Well-Known, well-loved and respected member
Donator
Just recently got a new smoker to replace my old freebie piece of crap. The char-whatever freebie could have been a smoker, but it lacked the offset firebox, so I had to regularly open the lid to feed the fire at one end of the barrel with the meat at the other. Maintaining temp was a nightmare because of the lid lifting and the cheap leaky construction.
So I picked up an Oklahoma Joe Reverse Flow Highland for $200 on clearance at BJs.
Holy Fuck the ribs I made on its first go were unbelievable. Like better than anything I have eaten.
It was so incredibly easy to maintain temps... I am sold on the reverse flow. It has the option to move the chimney to use it as a regular offset, but I honestly don't know why.
I know OK Joe isn't what it used to be now that they have sold out to the big money, but it is nicely built and makes some good meat.

I got the same thing about 3 weeks ago, only used it twice but I love it. Smoked a salmon I caught on it and it was amazing. Tried a chicken which turned out mediocre but it was because I fucked up the temperature and type/amount of wood I used.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
The Teacher and I are moving, and I’ll be able to get my smoker back! Looking to do a brisket or pork belly.

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator
Reverse flow is the way 2 go

Sent from your Mom's box.

So my girl is against real meat. she was vegan when we got together, and I have worked it to her eating dairy and birds again. My question is whats the best way to smoke a whole chicken? She is a teacher and has a 4 day weekend thanks to the jews, and I wanna smoke something that we can both enjoy.
Yes she is hot as fuck, and yes she makes my dick feel like a rockstar. So just chicken advise, lols.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
My $0.02...

Spatchcock them motherfuckers!!!

Brine the thawed bird overnight. Cut the spine out, flatten the chicken carcass out. Season how you like. Smoke it at 225 with as heavy as smoke as you can because it should only take an hour or two. When the leg meat hits 165, throw it on a fire to sear/crisp up the skin.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
I swear, a smoker is the best damn thing I've gotten in a long time. Be some gooood eatin' this week.

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator
So my girl is against real meat. she was vegan when we got together, and I have worked it to her eating dairy and birds again. My question is whats the best way to smoke a whole chicken? She is a teacher and has a 4 day weekend thanks to the jews, and I wanna smoke something that we can both enjoy.
Yes she is hot as fuck, and yes she makes my dick feel like a rockstar. So just chicken advise, lols.
Do a beer can chicken.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
I upgraded to a Traeger Century 34 over the weekend. Costco had a good deal on them, plus they threw in a cover, a cast iron grate and a bottle of chicken seasoning. I got it put together Sunday night and seasoned it last night. Tonight I’m going to test run a beer can chicken in it.

This machine is a bit more complex than the masterbuilt electric I’ve been using the last few years. But I can cook a lot more at once in this Traeger. I’m keeping the electric around for side dishes.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
I can’t wait to smoke meats again and then only have it 3oz at a time. But it’ll still be epic.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I can’t wait to smoke meats again and then only have it 3oz at a time. But it’ll still be epic.
I saw this thread bumped and was worried you were going to smoke whatever they carved out of you last week. @LiddyRules wants to see the pics.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
How much have you dropped so far Bill? How long since your procedure?

I'm sure you're aware of this, but be careful about gall bladder issues. Apparently it's a common side effect of bariatric surgery. My wife had to have emergency surgery to remove hers about a year post-op.

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator
How much have you dropped so far Bill? How long since your procedure?

I'm sure you're aware of this, but be careful about gall bladder issues. Apparently it's a common side effect of bariatric surgery. My wife had to have emergency surgery to remove hers about a year post-op.
Thankfully you don't need the gall bladder. Cut that fucker out.