Just got a smoker, now what?

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
Sauced up - 1hr to go...

(Dog got the drippings...)

DON'T give that stuff to your dog...You should see the number of dogs that end up at the Vet after thanksgiving because everyone gave them something to eat too...They get pancreatitis...The pancreas secretes enzymes to aid in fat digestion but dogs can't handle THAT much fat. Real game is lean meat so they have never developed an ability to handle fat the way we can...So they can get very sick from eating cooked fats...
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/pancreatitis-in-dogs/

It's almost cheating - the smoker never wavered more than 10 degrees either way for 6 hours. I trust the included probe - although I didn't use it for these. I really want a wireless though for other stuff so I can see the meat temp without running out to it all the time.

Anybody have one they use and like?
I use the weber iGrill-mini...Blue tooth, programmable...works great.
https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/cooking/igrill-and-thermometers/7202.html

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
DON'T give that stuff to your dog...You should see the number of dogs that end up at the Vet after thanksgiving because everyone gave them something to eat too...They get pancreatitis...The pancreas secretes enzymes to aid in fat digestion but dogs can't handle THAT much fat. Real game is lean meat so they have never developed an ability to handle fat the way we can...So they can get very sick from eating cooked fats...
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/pancreatitis-in-dogs/

I use the weber iGrill-mini...Blue tooth, programmable...works great.
https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/cooking/igrill-and-thermometers/7202.html
Day late and a dollar short...

She shit her cage up real good last night. Another lesson learned.

I appreciate the heads up though. Woot popped up this morning with the Tenergy Solis 6 probe unit for $40. I'm going to give it a try.

They had some of the Weber ones at Home Depot, but some if the reviews gave me pause. Now that I know it works for someone I'll keep it on the radar.

Arizona - and we're getting hurricane aftermath warnings. Rosa's leftovers are predicted to sweep over our area with a couple inches of rain Tues. morning.

Glad to say the clean out and pellet dump work well. 15 minutes to empty them all out and vacuum up residual ash. Covered, on the patio, and tucked in til next weekend.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Day late and a dollar short...

She shit her cage up real good last night. Another lesson learned.

I appreciate the heads up though. Woot popped up this morning with the Tenergy Solis 6 probe unit for $40. I'm going to give it a try.

They had some of the Weber ones at Home Depot, but some if the reviews gave me pause. Now that I know it works for someone I'll keep it on the radar.

Arizona - and we're getting hurricane aftermath warnings. Rosa's leftovers are predicted to sweep over our area with a couple inches of rain Tues. morning.

Glad to say the clean out and pellet dump work well. 15 minutes to empty them all out and vacuum up residual ash. Covered, on the patio, and tucked in til next weekend.

Lol... nothing more pathetic than a dog with the shits.
DOC got into a 5 gallon bucket full of rancid pig grease one time, poor fucker shit from one end of my house to the other, it was so bad I had to rip out my carpet and the greasy puke stain was on my deck for years... oh and the dumb ass kept licking that spot for years

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Picked up a pork loin roast to try this weekend. I just injected it with marinade to sit all day, then tonight I'll butterfly it and put a couple strips of bacon in it and some rub and marinade, more bacon on top, and tie it back up to sit in more marinade overnight.

Tomorrow is the real experiment: I want to try and pull it so I'm going to cook it up to 190 degrees. If I:

1) Use the bacon for the added fat and smoke it up to 145 degrees.

2) Put it in tight foil with a little apple/cider/vinegar and bring it up to the 190 degrees.

I'll either succeed, or have new soles for my shoes...

(Bacon on there now is to see how the marinade and rub taste...)

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Meh, 2 hours of marinade not enough and I don't know what my problem is - but forgot to add salt again. 4 on the left were just marinade, 2 on the right were rubbed. Those two were OK, but still a good exercise in using the smoker and with 1/2" thick cut pork belly.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
So far so good - now too much salt on the bacon - but charred it a little on the gas grill - still wonderful.

The roast is perfect, about 2:45 and rested for 15 more - fantastic. Can taste the meat with hints of apple, smoke, and brown sugar.

Onward to 190 with the other...

Last edited:

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Didn't ruin it, but won't do that again. Didn't want to shred, but still some moisture in it. The smoke ring is insane. Not like a good pulled pork butt would be.

All in all a good day, 5 lbs of tasty meet to feed the Keto diet this week.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
@shooter, the piece of meat is too lean for a good pulled pork, you need the collagen and bones and gelatin in shoulder or butt to properly “shred” and be juicy.
The smoke ring is awesome though, and I do love that kind of pork, but,

Look around for a whole pork shoulder go to a ghetto grocery store at get one on sale for .89ct lb
Brine it over night, in your favorite pork brine, then put it in the smoker at 250 set your thermometer to 200, it will hold at 180 for what seems like forever, then it will finally “break” and get to 200, shut the heat off and let it cool off “rest” for a while with the lid on.
You want the most “smoke” for the first few hours any more is a waste, the rest of the time is just spent trying to break that connective tissue.
I usually do one a year for a party, this year I didn’t and I regret it, I will do one next year

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Yeah, the theory was the belly would add enough fat - but shit just don't work that way!

So the "shredded" is still tasty in its juices. The pork loin roast also very good and tender. The pork belly was most educational.

I think I figured out enough to make the next try exceptional: marinate overnight in brown sugar, maple syrup, and apple cider - then smoke until cooked, then a quick sear on the high temp grill for some good bark. It was too salty but otherwise - meat candy.

Still cool as hell to play with. I'm glad I got it.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
For pulled pork, I like a good picnic cut. The skin on it helps with keeping the fat inside.

And if you're going to do boneless, get one that's fatty. The bone does help with making it nice and tender.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
Yeah, the theory was the belly would add enough fat - but shit just don't work that way!

So the "shredded" is still tasty in its juices. The pork loin roast also very good and tender. The pork belly was most educational.

I think I figured out enough to make the next try exceptional: marinate overnight in brown sugar, maple syrup, and apple cider - then smoke until cooked, then a quick sear on the high temp grill for some good bark. It was too salty but otherwise - meat candy.

Still cool as hell to play with. I'm glad I got it.
You won't need to sear if you smoke it properly. It'll create its own bark. Also, the thing will be too tender if you smoke it to an internal temp of 200.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Smoking 1/4" - 1/2" thick pork belly slices to 200 degrees would just be jerky at that point. Going to 150 - 160, then letting the fat drippings create a nice flame on the grill for a minute each side did wonders. Letting it rest to room temperature resulted in being able to stick a fork in one, and eat it like a state fair treat.

Last edited: