Just got a smoker, now what?

Bobobie

I'll have that with a side of Headcheese, Pickled Pigs Feet, and Haggis.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I won't be over for that
Fuckin' tongue eater :haha7:
Have you ever had a properly prepared tongue? It is absolutely fucking delicious, it’s like the most tender juicy piece of filet you have ever had except it’s well done, properly seasoned with a “Hispanic” type seasoning it’s perfect for tacos, or a chili the issue is that it’s really expensive and, it takes all day to cook, even with a pressure cooker, because it’s a duel process, a stewing, then a smoking or extra preparation, you can eat it just stewed and sliced if you want but I prefer that extra step
If I didn’t tell you what it was you would trip over yourself to get it.

The great delicacy’s of life my friend

I'll just have a cheeseburger
Maybe with some bacon
That'll do
I don't have all day
Not retired just yet

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Have you ever had a properly prepared tongue? It is absolutely fucking delicious, it’s like the most tender juicy piece of filet you have ever had except it’s well done, properly seasoned with a “Hispanic” type seasoning it’s perfect for tacos, or a chili the issue is that it’s really expensive and, it takes all day to cook, even with a pressure cooker, because it’s a duel process, a stewing, then a smoking or extra preparation, you can eat it just stewed and sliced if you want but I prefer that extra step
If I didn’t tell you what it was you would trip over yourself to get it.

The great delicacy’s of life my friend
Not saying I wouldn't taste-test it...but sure won't be putting $$$ and time into trying it myself...

Picked up the Thanksgiving turkey this morning, 68 cents/lb - looking forward to giving it another go.

THE FEZ MAN

Not saying I wouldn't taste-test it...but sure won't be putting $$$ and time into trying it myself...

Picked up the Thanksgiving turkey this morning, 68 cents/lb - looking forward to giving it another go.
Next time your at a Mexican joint look for tacos de linguas

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Well, my first attempt at smoking a turkey went very well. I brined it for 24 hours using a cajun brine I grabbed off Amazon. I basted it a few times during the cook with a mixture of melted butter, beer, and my favorite BBQ rub.

Not bad for my first time out, especially since it was the first time I cooked anything on the kamado grill.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Spatchcocking lunch... Also got my peach butchers paper - doing a brisket later this month and I understand it's helpful during cooking.

maz

TRueWDTer
No probe in the garlic bread ?
For shame

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Picked up a 13lb prime brisket flat for Christmas dinner. Never did one before. I don't think I've ever bought a $60 cut of meat before...

My OCD is kicking in with research on how long it will take. Currently I'm figuring after trimming it will be closer to 11-12 lbs - so now it's crossing fingers that I get the timing right for a 2:30 afternoon meal. My thought's so far is putting it on around midnight and getting to the stall by 7-8AM, wrapping in the butcher paper and continuing on to 205 degrees by noon-1PM. Rest for an hour or 2 in the cooler and slice it up with fingers crossed.

30 years ago or so, my Dad got me a proper brisket slicing knife - it has yet to have its' cherry popped. Damn thing perfect and a real razor, looking forward to breaking it in too.

How many temp probes should I stick in it? :cool:

Picked up a big metal seasoning shaker and pre-mixed up a "salt-pepper-garlic-onion" rub so it's easier to get things more equal when prepping the stuff going on the grill. 40lbs of competition blend pellets (of apple, hickory, and these - I'm liking them the best so far) so that's stocked up.

I'm off today so bored and hungry - and now you're bored too...

THE FEZ MAN

Picked up a 13lb prime brisket flat for Christmas dinner. Never did one before. I don't think I've ever bought a $60 cut of meat before...

My OCD is kicking in with research on how long it will take. Currently I'm figuring after trimming it will be closer to 11-12 lbs - so now it's crossing fingers that I get the timing right for a 2:30 afternoon meal. My thought's so far is putting it on around midnight and getting to the stall by 7-8AM, wrapping in the butcher paper and continuing on to 205 degrees by noon-1PM. Rest for an hour or 2 in the cooler and slice it up with fingers crossed.

30 years ago or so, my Dad got me a proper brisket slicing knife - it has yet to have its' cherry popped. Damn thing perfect and a real razor, looking forward to breaking it in too.

How many temp probes should I stick in it? :cool:

Picked up a big metal seasoning shaker and pre-mixed up a "salt-pepper-garlic-onion" rub so it's easier to get things more equal when prepping the stuff going on the grill. 40lbs of competition blend pellets (of apple, hickory, and these - I'm liking them the best so far) so that's stocked up.

I'm off today so bored and hungry - and now you're bored too...
I recommend buying a cheep one and doing a dry run first

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
I recommend buying a cheep one and doing a dry run first
Thought about it, but kind of getting tired of cooking pounds of the same thing in a row and being tired of it in short order.

Putting it into the fridge to thaw today, so by Friday afternoon it'll be ready for marinade injection and rest until going on the grill sometime that night or Saturday morning.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Finally getting chicken figured out. Did leg/thigh quarters yesterday - smoked for hour at 225, then cranked up to 350 and flipped them skin down to finish. Came out great.

Today it's some ribs. Picked a pellet smoke tube to see if it adds more to the meats over what the pellets do from the grill alone.

About 3 hours in and it's still smoldering just right - getting ready to butter, spritz, and foil for a couple more.

THE FEZ MAN

Thought about it, but kind of getting tired of cooking pounds of the same thing in a row and being tired of it in short order.

Putting it into the fridge to thaw today, so by Friday afternoon it'll be ready for marinade injection and rest until going on the grill sometime that night or Saturday morning.
Yea, I feel ya, I’m getting that way with my instant pot, I absolutely love soups and stews but after a few days it gets old, the last two things I made I ended up giving to my chickens within a day or two, it was tasty but you can only eat so much, and freezing it is just a waste of freezer space

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
And it begins, injected and resting. Put it on at 11pm tonight and back to bed...

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
On the grill at 11:30pm, now back to bed...

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Wrapped in paper at 165 degrees at 6:30am to keep things moving.

Smoker is holding 225 +/- 20 degrees in mid 40 degree temps - nice.

It's 12:30 midday and after 13 hours it probes super smooth and is at 202-205 degrees all over. Into the cooler for a 2 hour rest.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Fawk yeah...

Everyone seemed quite pleased - moist, tender, pulled apart with little resistance after a 2 hour rest in the cooler. Got a couple pounds left over for me - yay.

Made some ABT's as an evening game night snack - also well recieved.