Just got my wife an iPod for Christmas... WTF?!

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
Alright, I own a Zune. Love it, use it everyday.

So I thought I'd get my wife the iPod for christmas just to be a little different. I plug it into the computer and install itunes. I've heard nothing but great things about iTunes. Ok, it works great. Now how the FUCK am I supposed to afford .99 cents per song???!!!!! It's an 80GB iPod.... that would cost around $25,000 to fill up. I pay $15 a month on my Zune for unlimited downloads. I totally thought iTunes would be the same but apparently isn't.

This is my wife's... she isn't going to understand the whole bittorrent thing. And the iPod isn't compatible with the Zune software for obvious reasons. Is there another service with subscription based unlimited downloads? I may just trade it in for the 80GB Zune, they cost the same anyways.

commish13

Personal Friend of Chris Jericho
May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
Most people who get iPods get them in order to put their huge CD collections on them.

BravoSierra

Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
Most people who get iPods get them in order to put their huge CD collections on them.
So.... people still buy CD's???!!!! What the fuck is going on here? I just checked Napster and Rhapsody.... no iPod support. This sucks dick.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
the radio shack guy warned me that ipod sucks... mac product only can upload their shit... thats why they suck..

get her a sansa.... they also have fm radio wich ipod doesnt and their half the price.

BravoSierra

Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
My Zune has a radio built into it as well.... never listen to it but it's there. This whole iPod craze makes no sense to me at all. The Zune comes with software that not only kicks ass, but you can download all the fuck you want. Yet they're apparently "Shitty" as the masses say.

RobeSoup&Tears

Get 'em while they're hot
Aug 16, 2005
Riverdale, New York
Your kiddin' right?

Don't you have CD's that you'd wanna rip and drag on to the iPod?...why pay again?

Place any and all existing CDs in your PC and let iTunes rip it for you (with instant track info as well)

Also...get Limewire and go to town DL'ng any song you want.
Go to www.Download.com or the direct link is: http://www.download.com/LimeWire/3000-2166_4-10781282.html?tag=pop.software

Even before getting Limewire I had an audiophile of 14,000 plus songs from CD's alone.

If you have ANY questions BravoSierra, just PM me and I'll get you more info. I can also email you any songs you'd like...better yet, get aol's AIM and I can send them to you super fast.

I'm sure you're savvy enough.

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
Dude, I don't get why you're pissed about the iPod. I'm a PC user and I've loaded my 60gig unit with tunes and movies and podcasts and all kinds of stuff. IMO the iPod is a nice gadget and has the best user interface of all the portables. iTunes (and Audible) is a good source for new music (and some free content). No one buys an iPod thinking that they now have to pay for every song that goes on it. I have 16k songs on mine and I bought maybe 100 of them online

FullBallz

in your mouth
Mar 5, 2006
North Arlington, NJ
Don't go with LimeWire. It will fill your computer up with ad-ware and searching for material is really annoying as some of it can be corrupt or not even the right file. The best way to go about it is subscribing to Napster or Rhapsody and buying this program SoundTaxi or the like if someone knows a better program to use. http://www.soundtaxi.info/ It takes out the DRM encoding out of the song and you can put it on your iPod that way. It will save you TONS of money and you can fill your ipod up with goodness.

FullBallz

in your mouth
Mar 5, 2006
North Arlington, NJ
Not true if you know how to filter, check, & test.
True but that takes work. Plus if you use Napster or Rhapsody then you aren't breaking any piracy laws. Trust me, I work for a music publisher and we've discussed this stuff ad nauseum. If you want low-risk, high-reward then don't go with Limewire. Just my suggestion.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
well, I love my ipod, it works more gooder

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
People buy apple products for the lack of freedom. You could buy damn near any other MP3 player on the market and it won't even need any bullshit software. Just plug it in your computer, open up explorer, drag and drop.

Fruit Monkey

Don't stare at it eat it! P-1 In trainning
Oct 4, 2004
Intransit
uh i know people who have thier ipod full and never paid for a single song

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
In my humble opinion, IPod sucks.

It's too proprietary, it doesn't give you any freedom, but IPod has the brand name, it has the marketing, and now it's gone the way of Xerox and Kleenex, in that even when people DON'T buy the actual IPod brand, they still refer to all MP3 players as IPods.

But this is not what this thread is about.

It's not meant to turn into IPod vs Zune (but Zune rocks a fat ass.) thread. Burn your existing CDs, Bravo.

cigarsandscotch

Smoke and drink up.
Jan 13, 2005
Middletown NJ
I am in the process of loading over 400 cds into my Ipod. It is an arduous tak, but beats the shit out of buying everything again.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
I am in the process of loading over 400 cds into my Ipod. It is an arduous tak, but beats the shit out of buying everything again.
Exactly. But it's a project that only needs to be done once.

The worst thing, however, is when no tag data shows up after you burn your CD. That gets old in a hurry.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
I have the iPod touch typing this post on it right now
itunes is great much cheaper then getting a full cd and limewire kicks ass

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
But remember.
This is not what this thread is about.

However, since you asked:
80 Gig Zune has a large screen, it does movies and music with big album art that you can feed into your TV with surprisingly decent resolution, it sounds great, it does wireless syncing with someone else's zune or your own computer.

It really rocks a fat ass.
And it's only $250. Not bad for 80 gigs of goodness.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
I have the iPod touch typing this post on it right now
itunes is great much cheaper then getting a full cd and limewire kicks ass
Limewire does kick ass, but isn't it a matter of time before that company also crumbles and gives up IP addresses to RIAA?

dodisman

Feb 20, 2005
Soulseek...christ almighty...you people have no clue what you are missing

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
that is the very reason i refused to buy an ipod for my old lady, i own over 400cd's there was no fucking way i was going to let her pay twice for the music that we already own.

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
that is the very reason i refused to buy an ipod for my old lady, i own over 400cd's there was no fucking way i was going to let her pay twice for the music that we already own.
but ... but... all you have to do is put the CD in the computer and itunes will encode it and put it on your ipod automatically. As far as ripping CD's and putting them on a player, iTunes is the easist, most brain-dead way to do it.

I own a Zen Vision W and I still sometimes use iTunes to rip the CDs.