OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Justice Dept. Says Citizens Have the Right to Record Police

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by SuperGolfer, May 21, 2012.

1. SuperGolfer

SuperGolfer I got it from a negro

Hopefully puts the issue to bed countrywide once and for all.

2. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

I don't trust cops who don't consent to being recorded on video or audio.

3. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Unpossible. Alex Jones said this would never happen.

4. SuperGolfer

With this, there's no consent needed. But if they're not acting like dicks, there's nothing to worry about. Likewise, if someone's acting like a dick to a cop and they handle the situation appropriately, it works that way too.

5. KRSOne

KRSOne Registered User

Cops already knew this. It won't change a thing. The only thing that will cause a change is to start firing cops that violate peoples rights. I'm sure we will still hear of cops arresting people for taping them and giving some BS charge like interfering with official government business.

6. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Every time I have an interaction with a cop I hit a record button on my phone. I respect most police, but there are some assholes out there and I just want to protect myself. It may not be admissible, but I do it anyway.

7. SuperGolfer

It's the intimidation factor. I bet in the future all cops will have some kind of video recording device on their person, like a dash cam. I'm sure police unions will be THRILLED at that idea...

8. Creasy Bear

Donator

If it doesn't follow the Alex Jones script...

"It won't change a thing."

Plug your ears and go la la la la la...

9. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

I have never had a problem with citizens taping me. I do however have a problem if they tape me, but only post the last 30 seconds of a 10 minute long situation that ends up with me having to go hands on and the perp gets roughed up.

The LA riots were based on a videotape where the news didn't run the first part of the tape showing Rodney King attacking two officers, while high on drugs. Just the cops collecting a stupid tax on a moron that got high and decided to go on a high speed chase and then decided to attack the arresting officers.

10. KRSOne

KRSOne Registered User

Are you saying cops thought it was illegal to tape them in public? Then why have they always given a BS charge instead of charging people for taping them? They have always known it was legal to tape cops and illegal to violate your rights but they still do it and they will still do it until they start seeing other cops losing their jobs.

11. Lord Zero

There wasn't any consent needed before, but the cops still acted like there was a need and some of them promptly refused.

12. Lord Zero

I will forever maintain that Rodney Kind deserved what he got. Maybe there were too many officers involved, but the actions those officers took were justified. Then again, that was the world before the overwhelming acceptance of tasers.

13. Motor Head

I wecome POV camera technology whenever the state decides to write the check for it. I think it would be a great way for me to protect myself, because perps are smart enough to know the dash cam has a narrow field of view. Take a few steps from either side of the camera view, no video evidence. One of the latest crazy rants I've listened to are Trayvon Martin supporters saying "no video to back up Zimmerman - he's guilty then". Yes, it's completely retarded. But I'm convinced people are not getting smarter.

14. Creasy Bear

Donator

And when just that happens, won't you be shocked and surprised? Just like you are whenever reality refuses to follow the infowars script.

15. KRSOne

KRSOne Registered User

You're saying cops will now be fired for violating 1st amendment rights? Maybe I should go to Denver and test your little theory.

16. Motor Head

Kirk, you have a right to tape me. You however do not have a right to get to close to me while I'm conducting an investigation. If I ask you to please not stand behind me or to go across the street because I can only deal with so many retards at one time, do it. Because if you get to close to my sidearm or walk up behind me after being told to back off, you are going to have a very very bad fucking day. It's because of cunts like you, the ones that edit video's or don't show the entire video, that have caused officer's to not like being taped.

17. SuperGolfer

I'd like to think that most cops (the reasonable people, what I'd like to think is the majority) would feel the same, knowing that they'd be protected in a "he said/she said, someone gets beaten or shot" situation.

18. KRSOne

KRSOne Registered User

No its because there are some cops that are assholes and they are looking to cause problems. You will always have that 10% that are like that but when you don't weed out that 10% by firing them, it starts to grow.

19. Creasy Bear

Donator

99% of Occupy fleabaggers are assholes and they are looking to cause problems.

(-Please try and deny that so we can all laugh at you.)

So you see the problem the 90% of good cops are dealing with when faced with 99% asshole fleabaggers.

20. KRSOne

KRSOne Registered User

I would say 80% of Occupy are just being trendy hipsters, 5% want to cause problems, 5% are homeless, and another 5% are just checking it out, and 5% get whats really going on. If 99% were looking to cause problems we would have seen some fun TV but for the most part it was just a bunch of commie trendies.

21. Creasy Bear

Donator

Assholes.

Assholes.

Assholes

Tourists.

Exactly... a bunch of assholes. So let's call it 90% good cops dealing with 95% assholes.

22. Lord Zero

"But you have no right to judge me."

23. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

I'm willing to bet most of these "asshole cops" didn't start out that way. Constantly dealing with young persons, occupiers and retards like Kirk turned them that way.

24. Stig

Stig Wackbag's New Favorite Heel

We have had a few incidents here in NH where people tried to record police stops and the cops went apeshit. Took the cameras and charged the citizens with crimes.
    I think there will be some lawsuits.

Found an article about it.

25. Lord Zero

Asshole commanders also have a habit of making asshole cops.